New Tripod advice

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

New Tripod advice

Postby marcotrov on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:12 pm

Guys after losing my tripod and head Quantas claims are going to ring me to sort out replacement. Can anyone give me some advice or review on the A328( Ithink i favour this 3 piece one) or A327(onle 2 sections, I believe) and the KB-2 ball head e.g. how sturdy, how smooth to use is the KB-2, I've been hearing it's a little stiff. Is it wise to get a second plate to mount ready and waiting. how low can you set it down to the ground. It seems from specs that it can only go down to about 54 or so cm.? Can you remove or shorten the centre post?
I'm about 184cm tall. Anyone direct me to where Birddog gave us his latest Benro prices. Can't seem to locate it on the search engine?
A lot of questions I know, sorry. :roll:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:16 pm

http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?t=10959

For the prices, I am considering my tripod purchase carefully at the moment.
Alpha_7

Postby marcotrov on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:21 pm

thanks craig. any experience at the minimeets with any of them, I'm afraid, as much as i'd like to, the carbons are out! :(
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:28 pm

I'l trying to keep my costs down, so definitely shoping for the alluminum ones.. but then again my wife did say, get the one you REALLY want, as I am not getting another one... so I'm thinking long and hard.

I am hoping sometime today to post some data I've been compiling which should make decision making a little easier.

http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?p=135807#135807

Edited to add link to Benro Data.
Last edited by Alpha_7 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha_7

Postby wendellt on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:45 pm

i have no idea which benro tripod i have because i chucked the box and the tripod has no discernable model markings

but it's around $300+

3 section with reversable column and not as thick legged as the thickest ones

I am very happy with it, looks like a gitzo feels like a Benro.

the benro ballheads are not that smooth, better get a markins or RRS

edit:

I have the C227 it is great, can go down real low, with reverseable column even lower - place camera upside down to get those ant view perspectives, lighter than the biggest one too which is important.
essentially what the gitzo's can do the benro's can they are copies.
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby marcotrov on Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks Craig very handy table. :) I'll have a real good look at the tabulated data and a few other sites first.
Wendell thanks for info. How high does it extend up without having to move the centre column? I hate having to stoop to look through the viewfinder. I suppose the aluminium one A227 would be not that much different. Any idea of the price of the markins equivalent and does birddog sell them? The word Markins sounds like this word $$$$$ a bit like the word Mercedes :lol:
thanks wendell. My budget I think and hope, still havent' heard from quantas, is going to be restricted to about $650.
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby birddog114 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:47 pm

If your budget is about AU$650.00 then no choice for going with any Markins 10 or 20.
The KB2 is far better than the Manfrotto and it's with the A-S.
It's not an excellent device but at least will serve you well.
You have to take in account the height of the tripod + the ballhead + the camera plate or L bracket as the total height without the centre column.
If you're after the Markins stuff then it's around from AU$400.00 or over including shipping + fees (not taking into account any plate or brackets)
Did I tell you this hobby is expensive?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby wendellt on Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:55 pm

marcotrov wrote:Thanks Craig very handy table. :) I'll have a real good look at the tabulated data and a few other sites first.
Wendell thanks for info. How high does it extend up without having to move the centre column? I hate having to stoop to look through the viewfinder. I suppose the aluminium one A227 would be not that much different. Any idea of the price of the markins equivalent and does birddog sell them? The word Markins sounds like this word $$$$$ a bit like the word Mercedes :lol:
thanks wendell. My budget I think and hope, still havent' heard from quantas, is going to be restricted to about $650.
cheers
marco

yes very expensive birddog,
MArco I have the RRS BH55 and it's a charm to use.
the C227 C is a great choice if your upwardly mobile it has 3 legs so easy to pack up, it is lighter than hte aluminium one which is sooo important because even when i walk arounf with it for like 30 minutes it feels like a tone, so imagine how you would feel with the aluminium one.
The height fully extended i must say is almost as tall as me (being 5.2 foot), see other table on craigs thread, it's pretty tall without the ballhead and cam, and the price is reasonable.
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby birddog114 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:18 pm

The BH-55 is only desighed for the big lenses as the 200-400VR/ 300/400/500/600, less than 200mm, the BH-55 is overkilled and damm heavy for what you need, and it puts lot of weight when you travel. If you think you're going to upgrade pro prime lenses in the near future than no question asks.
Again the BH-55 is too big for the C227/ C228.
Last edited by birddog114 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby marcotrov on Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:52 pm

That you did birddog, that you did! :) There are a few things i'm not sure of:
1) Does the KB-2 come with camera plate or is that separate?
2) Is the RRS a similar construction and prive to the KB-2 and does it come with camera plate or is that another purchase when buying the benros? I still have the 2 camera plates for my manfrotto at home as I still had them on the camera lenses when the tripod got stolen. So maybe it would be better to stay with manfrotto? :?
Birdog is the C227 and a suitable RRS ball head and camera plate in my budget including GST and freight? Have you stock?
Sorry for the questions but i fear I'm getting more :?
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:56 pm

I believe the Benro heads all come with a camera plate, but best to let Birdy confirm that. BTW how tall are you ?
Alpha_7

Postby birddog114 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:09 pm

marcotrov wrote:That you did birddog, that you did! :) There are a few things i'm not sure of:
1) Does the KB-2 come with camera plate or is that separate?

Yes, all Benro heads come with camera plates.

2) Is the RRS a similar construction and prive to the KB-2 and does it come with camera plate or is that another purchase when buying the benros?

No, the RRS is the top line balhead and you expect to pay closed to AU$600.00 for the BH55, no camera plate comes with it, camera plates and L brackets are extra of $$$$$.

I still have the 2 camera plates for my manfrotto at home as I still had them on the camera lenses when the tripod got stolen. So maybe it would be better to stay with manfrotto? :?

Two options:
1/ Send two Manfrotto plates to Qantas and charge them extra for the replacement bill :lol: :lol: or swap them to Qantas for the returned flight ticket to Sydney, to check and get a new tripod system, I'm sure someone, who works with Qantas needs them seriously :lol:

2/ Go back to buy the Manfrotto head, but it lacks of A-S systems.

Birdog is the C227 and a suitable RRS ball head and camera plate in my budget including GST and freight? Have you stock?

RRS only has two type of ballheads:
1/ BH-55 (I don't think you'll aim to this head due to its price)
2/ BH-40 and I'm not recommended due to its price and size (Yes, size does matter :lol: ).

I don't stock the RRS, you can order them online, the C227 is in stock.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby marcotrov on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:44 pm

Birddog said:
I'm sure someone, who works with Qantas needs them seriously

Your dead right Birddog. :roll: Someone in Quantas 'accidentally' :x came into the possession of a nice tripod and bag.

Well it sounds like the C227 and KB-2 sound like they might be in my budget.

I'll wait for their call, still no word, might ring them and get in contact later Birddog. :wink:
Gee i'd love to find the lucky recipien of my tripod and head and shove the remaining camera plates where the sun don't shine! :twisted:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby birddog114 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:49 pm

marcotrov wrote:
Well it sounds like the C227 and KB-2 sound like they might be in my budget.

Make sure you pick up the right tripod, with your height, I doubt the C227 is shorter than you want.

Only thing which I can advise is the C327 or A327 is suitable with your height and sturdy set of legs.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby marcotrov on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:57 pm

Yeah true Birddog, i was just about to put down the A327 with KB-2 in my reply. I suppose it's not going to be that much heavier than the manfrotto aluminium I had before. Do they come with carry bag?
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby LostDingo on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:58 pm

marcotrov-always purchase the best you can buy that is within your budget. Nothing wrong with the Benro. Is there better? Sure but you have to fork out the extra to get that extra quality.

It is very much like the the lenses, nothing wrong with some of the entry level lenses but as you get the more professional versions the prices increase exponentially.

If you can afford a Gitzo with a Markins or Really Right Stuff head you should go for it. If the budget cannot afford it then you will still be in good shape with the Benro and the performance will most likely be more than satisfactory for you. :D

Birdy-Alpha has done his homework with his anaylsis, should put him on payroll :shock:
LostDingo

Postby birddog114 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:00 pm

marcotrov wrote:Yeah true Birddog, i was just about to put down the A327 with KB-2 in my reply. I suppose it's not going to be that much heavier than the manfrotto aluminium I had before. Do they come with carry bag?
cheers
marco

Yes, it comes with carry case and shoulder strap.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby marcotrov on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:14 pm

yeah lost dingo its a tough decision whether i stay with what I know the manfrotto 055 PROB and the pistol grip ball head or go for the bigger and better bero A327 as Birddog suggests, there you go I've really answered the question myself. :wink:
Then again weight is a consideration. Whether I buy myself the best lightest legs say the C322 and use my existing manfrotto 3 way pan tilt head until I can save for another ball head. It's almost a kilogram lighter than the A327?? :?
I've got a bit of thinking to do :)
Thank you one and all. :)
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas