Advice on scenic spots between Sydney and Melbourne

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Advice on scenic spots between Sydney and Melbourne

Postby TTT on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:45 am

I am planning a driving trip down to Melbourne in the first week of October.
We are going down via the “inland” route and coming back the coastal route with a night stopover on each trip.
What I need is advice on where to stay (near half way) where it is scenic for photographing (sunrise / sunset ?)
Also any scenic spot on route.

any advice welcome
TTT

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:48 am

Some many great spots on the coast, I'd say Narooma is worth a look, Eden too, Eden is probably closer to half way (I'm not sure never been interstate) but my guess is its in stop over territory.
Alpha_7

Postby Oscar on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:14 am

If you are camping - you could stay overnight at http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/parks.nsf/CampingContent/N0021?OpenDocument&ParkKey=N0021&Type=K#Gillards+campground.

There are lovely scenic coastal beaches, parks and towns on the south coast of NSW. If you were say a month later you may even spot whales at many locations.

Ulladulla harbour & Mollymook Beach are worth a look also.

Then there are my fav camp spots - Depot Beach, Pebbly Beach & Pretty Beach. Lots of birds and roos - especially at Pebbly Beach.

Enjoy the trip. Cheers, Mick :) :) :)
Oscar

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:21 am

I would agree with Alpha 7 that Eden is a must :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Oscar on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Another quaint village to visit is Tilba - Just off the main drag and on a loop rd bag to the main drag.
Oscar

Postby Oscar on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:35 pm

On the way south you could duck into Berrima for morning tea, stay somewhere near Albury and the next morning take a scenic detour via the Yackandandah area.
Oscar

Postby Oscar on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:37 pm

On the way south you could duck into Berrima for morning tea, stay somewhere near Albury and the next morning take a scenic detour via the Yackandandah area. Boy, I think I need a holiday now!
Oscar

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:55 pm

Mick,

Mick,

Is there something you wanted to say say? :)

Seriously, on the way south, if going inland, consider the option of a stop around Albury. It's more than half way, but will permit you time on the second day to explore Milawa, Mt Beauty, and Kelly Country.

Canberra and surrounds may be worth a visit too, baut that will give you a longer next day's journey. I'd sooner leave that for a trip on its own, and visit northern Victoria if travelling in the manner that you're suggesting.

On the way back via the coast, I'd ven suggest expanding the trip to two or even three nights.

Consider Philip Island, Lakes Entrance, Eden, Moruya, and Narooma as possible stopping points on the way back. Something like one night in Lakes Entrance, and a second in NArooma, will make for a very pleasant and relaxing return journey, with lots of things to see and do en route.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mark on Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:19 pm

If you're into camping or intend on doing it.

There is a place called Congo just south of Moruya. Camp alongside a river about 200mts from the ocean.

Another place that is worth look on the coast is Mystery Bay. This place has small beach/bay 300-400mt strech of sand and in the bay are about 50 or so rock islands. Rock cliffs northern end of the beach. Again you can use a camping area here and it's also practically on the beach.

These were 2 of my most favorite spots on our recent travels around Australia and ones I yearn to return to in the future. I even recommend driving in to see each even if you don't camp, moreso Mystery Bay. It is beautiful.
mark

Postby MHD on Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:02 pm

Your drive back will be much more fun than your drive there :)

As has been said on the way back:
Eden, Tarthra, Jervis bay

There isnt much on the way there until after the NSW/VIC border... after that go into Beachworth...

Or Rutherglen is pretty with the grapevines and all...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas