Body Painting Festival Photographic Competition, Qld.

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Body Painting Festival Photographic Competition, Qld.

Postby Colcam on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:45 am

Okay, here is an opportunity to try something different. As a member of Eumundi Market on the Sunshine Coast of Qld., I received this invitation which I am passing along to members of this forum. Should be worth a go? Note the closing date, etc., at http://www.australianbodyart.com.au/
Col

Welcome photographers, artists and visitors to our inaugural Australian Body Art Competition and Carnivale on 25 and 26 August 2007 in Eumundi, Queensland.

Closing date for all body artists, photographers and facepainters entry forms is the 17th August and registration forms are on the competition page at http://www.australianbodyart.com.au
This year for the first time in Australia in the middle of the World famous Eumundi Markets, Australia’s most colourful event will take place. The Australian Body Art Carnivale is a get together of body-artists, face-painters, traditional artists, photographers and sculptors from all over the world competing to win fabulous prizes.
The Carnivale starts with the opening of the “Art of the Body” exhibition and competition on Friday the 24th August at 6pm. See artists and sculptors showcasing their work of the human body. There will be “Live” art classes throughout the weekend and all art will be available for sale.

There is a photographic competition on Sunday the 26th August.

Registrations for competition entry must be received by 5pm on Friday August 17th
2007, at the Eumundi and District Historical Association.
A non-refundable entry fee of $30, which includes a entry ticket for $18, must be paid
with each registration. Students producing a student card will be exempt from the
fee.
A passport sized photo of the entrant, for ID card purposes, must be supplied with
each registration.
Only photos taken on the carnivale day of 26th will be eligible for
entry.
All photographic entries must be received at the Eumundi and District Historical
Association by 5pm on Thursday 6th September 2007.
Judging will be made by a panel of judges, whose decision is final, by Monday 10th
September 2007 and winners will be notified immediately. The results of the judging
will be posted on the Australian Body Art Carnivale website.
Entries may be made in one of the two categories:
• Photo print
• Digital
Photo print:

With the evanescent art on the body, photography is an essential part of the festival. Especially for photographers we offer the “photo ticket” to get access to the restricted photo contest area (Photo Award Area). This area consists of different backgrounds and requisites. All models come into this area when finishing and photographers can record their fantastic images here.
Out of all the entries we produce the photo catalogue, which will be sent to all participants for free.
Photo: Karin Landl
There are the two categories
• “Photo” and
• “Digital Art” to be judged.
After the festival ends, the best photos from the event will be judged by a jury and awarded prizes. There will be cash prizes and photo equipment to win. All works will be shown in a projection show the year later in the festival week. Some of the photos will be shown in the photo catalogue, which is sent for free to every participant.
Photo: Karin Landl
Categories
Photo:
In this category photos are shown which are close to the original photo. Photos which are not transformed too much with a photo editor. Of course corrections are allowed to be made, but the photo should keep its original meaning.
Digital Art:
In this category photos are changed in their originality. The digital art categorie has no boundries but the bodypainting art or the festival should still be the main content.
Photography. The Art of Seeing, Not Just Looking
http://www.frozentime.com.au
Colcam

Postby Bindii on Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:31 pm

It sounds like fun... but I wish that they would state a couple of things in their conditions though...

like what exactly the prizes are for instance... I've heard of stories where togs have paid $30 entry fee only to win a top prize of $20...

and what about copyright of these images?... who retains it... and will they be expecting to use the entered shots in their advertsing and future promotions also?? It seems that a lot of the comps are now geared this way with togs actually paying to allow someone the use of their images... madness if you ask me...

Oh don't get me wrong btw... I am not bagging this comp at all just asking and venting a little... in fact I might even wander up there myself on the day concerned...

:)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby Colcam on Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:12 pm

Bindii wrote:It sounds like fun... but I wish that they would state a couple of things in their conditions though... like what exactly the prizes are for instance... I've heard of stories where togs have paid $30 entry fee only to win a top prize of $20...
and what about copyright of these images?... who retains it... and will they be expecting to use the entered shots in their advertsing and future promotions also??in fact I might even wander up there myself on the day concerned...
:)

Good point Bindii. I will check on the details, although they may be in there somewhere. (I didn't read everything). Copyright will be retained by the photographer unless you sign it away. If you come up, drop in (on the Saturday at least) to my old photo stall (the photo's are old, not the stall.{Not too sure about the proprietor though!}) at the market & say g'day
Col :D
Colcam

Postby christiand on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:42 pm

It is a pity that such an event isn't held in the ACT.

Some of the bodypainting is absolute georgeous and some of the effects achieved are very smart and fascinating.

Have a good time there, regards,
CD
christiand

Postby petermmc on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Too cold for the ACT. :)
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby Oneputt on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 pm

The organisers have the right to use your images but you retain copyright. (I read this in another thread :wink: )
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Colcam on Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:39 pm

Bindii wrote:It sounds like fun... but I wish that they would state a couple of things in their conditions though...
like what exactly the prizes are for instance... I've heard of stories where togs have paid $30 entry fee only to win a top prize of $20... :)

For those who haven't discovered it, the prize for this competition, I am told by the organiser, is $500.00! :shock:
Co
Colcam

Postby Colcam on Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:38 pm

I got there right at the end of Saturdays efforts and the face painting show real potential for some great stuff Sunday in the main event and the weather appears to be on the mend too, so make the effort as a lot of effort is being made to make it a success.
Photographers meeting at 10AM in the back room around the side of the pub across the road called Joes Waterhole in Eumundi's main street.
Col
Colcam

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas