Solar eclipse tonight

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Solar eclipse tonight

Postby kitchenwench on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Hiya folks!

If anyone has a telephoto lens and is looking for something to shoot tonight, then just letting you know that there is a partial solar eclipse happening in a few hours :)

Partial Solar Eclipse
Australia Day will be celebrated with a solar eclipse. An annular eclipse will be visible from the Indian Ocean to western Indonesia. This occurs when the Moon doesn’t quite cover the Sun and a bright ring remains around the dark shadow of the Moon. Unfortunately, here in Melbourne we won’t see much of an eclipse. Only 2% of the Sun will be covered by the Moon and it occurs just before sunset, so the Sun will be very low on the horizon.

Eclipse begins 7:41pm
Eclipse maximum 7:55pm
Eclipse ends 8:08pm
Sunset 8:38pm
(source - http://museumvictoria.com.au/planetariu ... uary-2009/)

Okay, so it's only 2% coverage which is pretty pitiful, but hey, if your lens can make the distance then maybe worth a shot :)
"The rarest thing in the world is a woman who is pleased with photographs of herself" - Elizabeth Metcalf

Food blog - Kitchen Wench
Personal blog - The Kitchen Wench Diaries
Flickr - Insanity Theory
kitchenwench

Re: Solar eclipse tonight

Postby ATJ on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Um... maybe it is just me, but I don't think I want to be pointing my lens at the Sun (especially if I'm looking through the viewfinder).
ATJ

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:33 pm

My understanding is it can be done, but for a total eclipse you need to use a solar filter between both your eye and the camera's sensor or the bright edges of the eclipse will burn eye or sensor. If it's only a partial eclipse I'm not sure, but I'd be playing safe.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby rossda on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:03 pm

Well.. wont be seeing much here in Syd on account of the cloud cover and glorious rain.
Proud owner of a Nikon D90

A photograph is just a tool to show how beautiful the subject is. - I said that in the shower 24/11/2008
rossda

Postby ATJ on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:42 pm

stubbsy wrote:My understanding is it can be done, but for a total eclipse you need to use a solar filter between both your eye and the camera's sensor or the bright edges of the eclipse will burn eye or sensor. If it's only a partial eclipse I'm not sure, but I'd be playing safe.

I believe a partial eclipse would be worse than a total eclipse in terms of the amount of UV light.
ATJ

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas