DSLRusers.com 2011 Events

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Re: DSLRusers.com 2011 Events

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:03 am

biggerry wrote:hit sunrise

I beg your pardon?

Sunrise is a time of day that is best observed from under a blanket or three.

Or best not observed at all. :)

I'm thinking that we're going to have a good - as in cold - winter this year. Perhaps some snow in Katoomba and further west, but that won't happen until June or July.

That probably means organising this for sometime prior to the snow ... late May? Or maybe the weekend before Liz turns another year older?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:
biggerry wrote:april could be a good month? before it gets too fing could up there.

Count me out then. I am otherwise engaged All March and April & part of May.

hmm, could wait until the end of May (early june)...but you will probably be tripped out by then, and also photographed out for sure!

gstark wrote:I beg your pardon?

well the beauty of these trips is that you can select what parts you wanna go too, eg, only wanna do caves thats fine

I think the first thing we need to do is confirm whether the private tour thing is a still a go-er.

gstark wrote:I beg your pardon?

Or best not observed at all.

absolute sacrilege :rotfl2: spankage for you.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:56 pm

biggerry wrote:you will probably be tripped out by then

Who me? Can't think why :wink:

biggerry wrote:
gstark wrote: I beg your pardon?
Or best not observed at all.

absolute sacrilege spankage for you.

I am quite sure Gary appreciates a sunrise as much as the rest of us. He simply prefers to do so via the medium of a photograph that someone ELSE made.

Seriously, Don't change the date just for me. There is a good chance I won't make it anyway.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:I am quite sure Gary appreciates a sunrise as much as the rest of us.

Actually, I've seen a very large number of sunrises. Mostly from the point of view of "Oh, is that the time? I suppose I should be heading home at some point."
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:45 pm

I did have a discussion with someone - forgive my flakey memory atm - about Mount Wilson and the Tomah Gardens during Autumn - this would be awesome imo, I have only every driven past these locations and it would be great to capture some of that wonderful autumn colour up there. Any mountain folk have any recommendations on the perfect time?

Anyone keen on this?
biggerry

Postby Jenno on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Sheesh you young blokes :?

I did have a discussion with someone - forgive my flakey memory atm - about Mount Wilson and the Tomah Gardens during Autumn

....that would be me after our Megalong Valley meet.
I make an annual pilgrimage to Mt Wilson in Autumn..anyways great but timing is important.

There used to be a website which has the gardens and telephones listed but it appears to be under construction ATM and not accessible. I generally ring one of the owners to find out when the gardens are at their best.

Mt Tomah is good all year round
Jenno

Postby colin_12 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:59 pm

biggerry wrote:I did have a discussion with someone - forgive my flakey memory atm - about Mount Wilson and the Tomah Gardens during Autumn - this would be awesome imo, I have only every driven past these locations and it would be great to capture some of that wonderful autumn colour up there. Any mountain folk have any recommendations on the perfect time?

Anyone keen on this?

I also love Mnt Wilson, was up there last weekend. :up:
I can keep you up with how the colour is going up this way in Autumn if you like so that we may time things a little better.
This was taken in early May 2007
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:45 am

I rarely get over to Mt Wilson. It's probably been more than 10 years.
But one thing to be aware of up here is the way autumn changes with altitude. It will be over in Blackheath, in full colour in Wentworth Falls, just beginning to colour up in Hazo (Hi Colin) and not yet started for Andrew (Glenbrook) The exact timing also varies from year to year. It is a late summer this year, so I would expect a late autumn as well - unless of course it is a short summer. :roll:

Best take Colin up on his offer to keep you informed, or better, get a spy in Mt Wilson itself and be prepared to come up on a week's notice. I very much doubt I will be involved.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby biggerry on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:27 pm

Jenno wrote:Sheesh you young blokes

I got a memory like a fish atm.... :|

Jenno wrote:I make an annual pilgrimage to Mt Wilson in Autumn..anyways great but timing is important.

keep me posted on that one.

colin_12 wrote:I can keep you up with how the colour is going up this way in Autumn if you like so that we may time things a little better.

definitely, that would be excellent.

Mr Darcy wrote:get a spy in Mt Wilson itself and be prepared to come up on a week's notice. I very much doubt I will be involved.

hmm, surely someone has a webcam up that way!

Thanks for the heads up guys!
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Ok, in terms of the Jenolan Caves Visit, I have made enquiries and they are quite happy for private tours of the Temple of Baal or the River Cave specifically for photography, you are allowed tripods and the private tours go for 2.5 - 3 hours. The cost is most reasonable! One thing they do request is that the images not be used for commercial purposes which is not surprising really, but, their caves their rules....
biggerry

Postby stubbsy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:49 am

biggerry wrote:Ok, in terms of the Jenolan Caves Visit, I have made enquiries and they are quite happy for private tours of the Temple of Baal or the River Cave specifically for photography, you are allowed tripods and the private tours go for 2.5 - 3 hours. The cost is most reasonable! One thing they do request is that the images not be used for commercial purposes which is not surprising really, but, their caves their rules....

Gerry - thanks you have saved me the work. I'd only got as far as their (not very good) website which previously featured pricing on private tours, but which is now noticeably missing.

When we last did this we made weekend of it. Some stayed in Blackheath and we did a sunset shoot at Govett's leap before an early start for Jenolan the next day while others camped out overnight. I suggest something along those lines would be useful for the next outing.

Did they give any indication of suitable dates and times?
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:59 am

stubbsy wrote:When we last did this we made weekend of it.

That would raise the interesting possibility of visiting the caves themselves at night, allowing the daytime for other stuff. Will they do the "special" tours at night? The caves themselves don't care. It will be artificial light anyway.

Caves House is another intriguing possibility for accommodation, though my preferred option in that neck of the woods is to camp out near Kanangra Walls. Failing that, a nice bed at Wentworth Falls :wink:
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby biggerry on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:10 pm

biggerry wrote:Did they give any indication of suitable dates and times?

nope, but I suggest avoiding the start of april since there is another photography forum going there then.

As mentioned before, I think the best thing is just to lock peeps into the cave tour, that way others can work around that known fact, for example I would head up there the day before for sunset in the mountains then hit sunrise on the way to the caves then the tour mid morning/lunch with enough time to get back to sydney. Whereas others might drive up there on the day just for the caves tour...keeping it flexible should hopefully get more peeps involved, hopefully. If not we will just throw in a NSFW model to drum up support :rotfl2:
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:08 am

bump
biggerry

Postby colin_12 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 pm

So have you got the model sorted yet Gerry? :mrgreen:
We may want the weather to warm a little more before we make the trip but that means more people up there as well.
Does everyone have a decent set of warm gear that is able to get a little damp?
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Previous

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas