Photography at SALA Festival 2011

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Photography at SALA Festival 2011

Postby photohiker on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi.

There is a lot of Photography in this year's SALA Festival.

Yours truly even has a few images on display with the f22 Photographic group at Hindmarsh Library:

photohiker

Re: Photography at SALA Festival 2011

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:20 am

Michael,

That looks great.

Please tell us a little more.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby photohiker on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:24 pm

gstark wrote:Michael,

That looks great.

Please tell us a little more.

Hi Gary,

Well, I can tell you more about the exhibition, the image in the invite as well as more about SALA itself:

The Exhibition is 6 images each from 5 members of the f22 group. Mostly Landscapes, but also some stunning portrait photography from Kevin who is a recent immigrant from China. Kevin has a small studio on Hindley Street and he grabs interesting characters off the street and convinces them to sit with awesome results. The Landscape photos are mostly SA although there are a few abstracts and overseas shots. Two of my images are from the Gawler Ranges but I also snuck a couple of Tassie pics in. :) Jaishu has 6 of his b&w Flinders Ranges tree studies in and they alone are worth coming to see IMO. Jaishu is prolific and accomplished, his work can be seen on RedBubble/Flickr/etc.

I took the image in the invite on a f22 Photographers field trip to Lake Gairdner in the Gawler Ranges in SA. The location is called 'Billy Can Track' and is on Mt Ive Station. Gawler Ranges is an amazing area (National Park), largely forgotten in a national sense (Lake Eyre/Flinders Ranges seem to dominate outback SA in terms of public perception), but containing a rich selection of outback SA vistas and salt lakes, rockscapes, ruins, etc.

SALA is the SA 'Living Artists' Festival. It's become quite a large event with venues all over SA and every sort of artistic endeavour represented. There are hundreds of exhibitions open for the duration of the festival (5-28th August) Just about any venue with the possibility of displaying work seems to have become involved. That's quite an exciting result when you consider that it all started with a handful of artists deciding to organise a small event to display their work just a few years ago.

I'd be surprised if there were not some other SA DSLRUsers exhibiting...

HTH

Michael
photohiker

Postby biggerry on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Nice one Michael, looks like a great exhibition, whilst i highly doubt i will be down that way anytime soon, if I was i would be there in a shot.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Return to Adelaide and Perth