Camera shops in Melbourne CBD?

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Camera shops in Melbourne CBD?

Postby losfp on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi Melbournites :)

I will be in Melbourne tomorrow (saturday) for a lightning quick visit for business (Sydney vs Carlton @ Telstra Dome). I'll be bringing my D70s plus miscellaneous gear, and was going to see if I could have a browse around some Melbourne CBD camera stores - especially ones with a good range of camera bags (particularly the Lowepro range). I was going to have a look in Sydney, but haven't had time lately.. Since I was going to be in Melbourne, why not see if I can find anything? :)

Had a look at yellowpages.com.au, and there are a bunch of shops on Elizabeth street, are any of them any good?

cheers.
losfp

Postby Alex on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:39 pm

There are some good ones on Elizabeth Street. Not Teds, but there is camera exchange. Then my personal favourite "Camera Lane" - not Eliz. street, but 391 Lt. Burke Street - it's not far from all the other eliz. street shops.

Alex
Alex

Postby Ivanerrol on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:43 pm

Camera Exchange in Lonsdale street just up from Elizabeth street
Camera Lane in Little Bourke street just up from Elizabeth street.
Michaels in Elizabeth street is a huge store however seems to have the least knowledgeable staff.
Teds in Elizabeth street - see Michaels above.
Most of the retail camera stores are in Elizabeth street between Bourke and Lonsdale street.
Vanbar has two outlets just out of the city, however I do not know if they will be open tommorrow.
Ivanerrol

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:44 pm

Camera Exchange used to be great, but it's less so since they redid it.

Go to the last shop on Elizabeth St (Michael's?) on the corner and then turn left and walk up the hill. They're on the next corner.

Camera Lane is, IIRC, related to them
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby redline on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:10 pm

i think camera exchange closes it doors early on sats, not too sure about it though due to the easter break
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby DaveB on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:10 pm

gstark wrote:Camera Exchange used to be great, but it's less so since they redid it.

Go to the last shop on Elizabeth St (Michael's?) on the corner and then turn left and walk up the hill. They're on the next corner.

Camera Lane is, IIRC, related to them

Yes it is Michael's on the corner. Going up that hill, Camera Exchange used to be on the corner of Hardware Lane. Now they're in a building about halfway up that far (near Niagara Lane?).
I'm not aware of any connection between Camera Lane and Camera Exchange BTW

For Lowepro bags I'd look at Camera Lane, Camera Exchange, Michael's, and Vanbar (it'd be worth checking out their Carlton store to see if they're open). Between them at least one is likely to have the bag you're after.
DaveB

Postby redline on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:23 pm

I'm not aware of any connection between Camera Lane and Camera Exchange BTW

hint* their display stock is usually lying around the floor or on the ground behind the counters
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby Greg B on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:53 pm

Michaels on the corner of Elizabeth and Lonsdale has a huge range of bags to look at. Not sure about their prices - I did get a TopLoad Zoom 2 there for 2/3 of the price elsewhere, but might have been a fluke.

However, they have many bags there to look at (store recently completely renovated and quite large)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby losfp on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:25 pm

I forgot to thank you guys for your suggestions. I found the camera places all in a row, but couldn't really find anything to suit me (I was after one of the AW toploads). Was good to look around anyway.

Plus we had a win, albeit a crappy, scrappy one.
losfp

Postby decryption on Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:52 pm

I get my gear from Vanbar. They have a store in Calrton (a few blocks down from Melbourne University) and North Melbourne (5 minute walk from North Melbourne Station). Good range, good prices (most of the time they're the same or less than eBay).

Store details are at: http://www.vanbar.com.au
decryption

Postby Jamie on Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:09 pm

I forgot to post this about 2 months ago......

Michael's has had a complete overhaul (as Greg pointed out) and if you have a spare hour or so its WELL worth going in to look at the camera museum they have upstairs. :shock:

Best of all its free!
Jamie
D70s - Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF - Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF - Nikon SB600
Jamie

Return to Melbourne