Where are the Melbourne D70 people??

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Where are the Melbourne D70 people??

Postby Greg B on Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:20 pm

Hi folks

Looks like I am the first in Melbourne to leave a post, hopefully I won't be the last.

I am two weeks in with D70, very happy camper, looking forward to getting out this weekend.

How about you?

cheers

Greg
Greg B

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:31 pm

They must all be hiding.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:06 am

The meeting of the Melbourne chapter of D70 Users will be held in a phone box.
Greg B

I am new here

Postby yeocsa on Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:19 pm

Hi I am new here - a D70 user too.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby Glen on Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:25 pm

Welcome Arthur, hope you enjoy it here. Greg will make room for you in the phone box :D

See Greg, they did sell two cameras in Melbourne (maybe all the shops down there are for show or tourists)
Glen

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:58 pm

Glen wrote:Welcome Arthur, hope you enjoy it here. Greg will make room for you in the phone box :D

See Greg, they did sell two cameras in Melbourne (maybe all the shops down there are for show or tourists)

Or to show tourists.

Welcome, Arthur. Enjoy your stay; hopefully you and Greg can get together, hopefully with a few others, and start to enjoy a day of sunshine. I've heard that one has been ordered for late next week! :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: I am new here

Postby Greg B on Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:03 pm

yeocsa wrote:Hi I am new here - a D70 user too.

regards,

Arthur

Arthur

Welcome to this excellent body of photogs and wanna-be photogs (i.e. me) - and a special welcome to the slightly undermanned Melbourne chapter!

Hope you enjoy your stay

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby redline on Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:41 pm

hello, iam from melbourne as well.
nice fourm you guys have here how long has it been running for?
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby Glen on Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:44 pm

Hi Redline,
Welcome. The forum has only been going a couple of months, but busy already with a friendly bunch of inhabitants.

Are you the God of Pizza?
Glen

Postby Greg B on Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:48 pm

Welcome redline. Excellent to have another Melburnian on board

Have fun.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:01 am

Greg B wrote:Welcome redline. Excellent to have another Melburnian on board

Have fun.

Just curious, when will Melbourian organize a local meet?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:17 am

Yep; there's three of you now.

Starbucks, perhaps?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:28 am

gstark wrote:Yep; there's three of you now.

Starbucks, perhaps?

Gary, Melbourne has some of the best coffee in Australia. We do not frequent starbucks - they are for children and tourists.

Yeah, the Melbourne chapter is BOOMING. Out of the 110 ish members, we have one active (me) (I think - if there are other active Melb members, speak up), a few earlier joiners who are still waiting for their chance to get amongst it, and a couple of recent arrivals. :(

Let's see what happens.........
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:52 am

Greg,

So, how often do you think I go to Starbucks? Life's too short for bad coffee. The one chain I do enjoy is Seatle's Best Coffee (SBC), but I don't think they're in Oz yet.

FWIW, whenever I'm in your fair village I try to stay on or near Lygon St. Great coffee, and more than 100 restaurants - most are at least good - over a three block expanse of streetscape. Border's Books at one end; Vanbar a block away ... 2Ks from the city.

What more does one need?

Oh yes, a Grand Prix might help. :)

And, of course, a few more active D70 users wouldn't go astray either.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:21 am

Gary, Actually I didn't imagine you would have been a starbucker at all. I have only been in one once - in Kuala Lumpur - and the thing that surprised me was that the coffee was so crappy.

Next time you hit Melb, check out Brunswick street, there are some great restaurants and cafes around there too!

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Matt. K on Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:34 pm

Greg....What do you guys use for light down there? It's always so dark, damp and gloomy and overcast. Do you carry extra lights? Or do you wait for the streetlamps to come on?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Greg B on Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:55 pm

Matt. K wrote:Greg....What do you guys use for light down there? It's always so dark, damp and gloomy and overcast. Do you carry extra lights? Or do you wait for the streetlamps to come on?

Oh Matt Matt Matt. :roll:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:01 pm

Matt,

Tha was really quite cruel.

Greg runs a candle factory, you know ...

Also makes those little votives for keeping the coffee stewed. Er, I mean warm.

Greg, I also like Mexicali Rose in Richmond, and generally spend some time grazing in the Prahran area. There's also a great antiques market there, with some wonderful vintage photography stuff in one of the stalls.

If anyone would care to wander down there, I know someone who'd like to know if they have any working Bolexes down there, as it happens.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:35 pm

Yes Gary, Mexicali Rose is good. Haven't been there for a while, but now that you have reminded me.....

I think the market you are talking about is the Chapel Street Bazaar. It is a fantastic place to kill an hour or two, and some of the stiuff is really good. We have bought a couple of deco lamps there, and a couple of other things too as far as I can recall. They have great 50's stuff.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:57 pm

Greg,

Mexicali Rose is one of only two Mexican restaurants in the whole of Oz that I rate as acceptable. None do decent New Mex, Cal Mex or Tex mex; Mexicali Rose is somewhat between New Mex and trad Southwestern in its stylings, but it is good. In Sydney you go to Azteca in Randwick for good true Mex.

Chapel St Bazaar sounds right, and yes, it's a fascinating and fantastic place. Also a few good music (as in musical instrument) shops just up the road from there as well.

That brings me to one thing that Melbourne has retained, but Sydney has destroyed - the streetscapes. You look at areas like Richmond and Prahran, the streets with the the older style shopfronts, and some of them go on for miles. They're busy, and they're popular. And they're good to be in and around.

Here we have Frank Lowy and Westfield who have destroyed so much of what we had. Mostly we have indoor mauls where you need a map to find your car in the parking lot. Hands up those who've sucessfully navigated the Bondi Junction obscenity!

All we have now is a couple of suburbs left - King St Newtown, Burwood Rd in Burwood, Hume Highway in Ashfield ... but of those, only King St has anything like any real local personality.

Sadly, I don't think there's too many people in Sydney who know and understand - or even care - about what's been lost.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby redline on Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:17 pm

Glen wrote:Hi Redline,
Welcome. The forum has only been going a couple of months, but busy already with a friendly bunch of inhabitants.

Are you the God of Pizza?

yeap thats me, without the spaces though
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

thanks

Postby yeocsa on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:23 pm

Hi to all,

thanks. we should register this website with other photographic websites in Melbourne for there are too few of us here.

regards.

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby Greg B on Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:25 am

Yes Arthur, Melbourne is under-represented here at d70Users, however our friends to the north and the west are generally inclusive, notwithstanding a few wisenheimer remarks about the weather and mexicans.

:D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Raydar on Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:42 pm

Not me!!!!!! never :P

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

New member to the phone booth in Melbourne

Postby mudder on Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:32 pm

G'day,
Just joined, new spot in the booth for me please... :-)

New to photography generally only just got a Fuji S7000 a few months ago but lost it due to a burglery recently, took the plunge and now the proud father of a bouncing baby D70 and bits...

Only just got mine with kit lens (and DVD burner!) and the Sigma 70-300 APO a week or so back... Only had a few plays and having fun, but already a couple of dost spots... Geeesss... Haven't worked up the courage to clean with Sensor Swabs and fluid etc. Got 'em but I'll save that for another day...

Anyway, just thought I'd drop a line and say hi... Only just starting out so have a sticky if you like... Few folders of S7000 early on, then the D70 recently... I've taken a deep breath, so I'm ready now... (I've got my eye's clinched)... Hope it's OK to put an addr like this...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v491/falckie/

Cheers
mudder

Postby Greg B on Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:36 pm

Welcome mudder, great to have another melbournian on board.

Sorry to hear about the s7000, but every cloud has a silver lining, and that is your d70!

I enjoyed looking at your shots

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

G'day

Postby mudder on Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:41 am

G'day Greg,
Thanks for the welcome. Over the S7000 loss (was a few weeks back now), looking at it as an opportunity to jump in the deep end with the D70.
Having fun, going up to the Blue Mountains for a few days from Monday on, so hope to post a few pics when I get back...

Maybe then we could have a CCD cleaning night? I'm not brave enough to tacke it just yet... I'll put a few reds on the bar! :-)

Cheers,
Andrew
mudder

Re: G'day

Postby Greg B on Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:04 pm

mudder wrote:G'day Greg,
Thanks for the welcome. Over the S7000 loss (was a few weeks back now), looking at it as an opportunity to jump in the deep end with the D70.
Having fun, going up to the Blue Mountains for a few days from Monday on, so hope to post a few pics when I get back...

Maybe then we could have a CCD cleaning night? I'm not brave enough to tacke it just yet... I'll put a few reds on the bar! :-)

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew, the reds sound good!! In any context.

I haven't tackled the CCD cleaning either, the prospect is a bit scary. However, I am in Sydney next week and hopefully catching up with Birdy, I will ask appropriate questions of the expert!

Have a good trip to the Blue Mountains, should be some useful photo opportunities.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Me too

Postby Deano on Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:06 pm

Hi,

I also from Melbourne. Well actually I'm from Wellington (NZ) but I live in Melbourne. Actually I currently live in Hong Kong (here for work) but my wife, cats and bank manager live in Melbourne.

I have been in Hong Kong since May and picked up the D70 here along with a few lenses and most recently the SB800. Boy the prices here are much better than OZ. Specially with the strong ausy dollar at the moment. For example I got the SB800 for $430 oz compared with a duty free price of about $800. Fan-bloody-tastic.

One thing lacking in HK is the coffee. I am forced to drink starbucks. I suppose you can't have it all.

Check out my pbase gallaries and let me know what you think.

http://www.pbase.com/deanroberts

Be warned I am a rank amateur but hope to get more practise and improve.

Let me know which phone box it is for the next time I'm home (once a month).

Cheers
Dean
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

D2x | Nikkor 24-120vr & 50/1.8 | Sigma 12-24 & 24-70/2.8 & 70-200/2.8 | SB800 | Velbon 640CF Tripod w/ Markins M10 & RRS plates.
And then there's my Bag Collection... Sweeet....
;-)
Deano

Postby Greg B on Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:02 pm

Welcome Dean. Another Melbourne member - excellent.

Commiserations re starbucks coffee, that is tough. Hopefully you get a compensating crap coffee hardship allowance!!

I enjoyed your photos. Particularly loved the Signs, but they are all good. There are plenty of rank amateurs here - this correspondent included - but there is no lack of enthusiasm. We also have some clearly experienced members too.

I don't know how much time you would have to spare on your once a month visists home :wink: but we seem to almost have a quorum in Melbourne. I feel a get together coming on.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Nicole on Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:09 pm

Hi,

Just joined up. I've been into photography now since late last year. Wish I had the D70 then... Quickly became bored with the trusty P&S so bought the D70 earlier this year. I'm really into wildlife, birds and more recently macro photography.

Will be going overseas late this year to give it a serious beating in high humidity. In the mean time having lots of fun taking heaps of photos.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby bago100 on Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:22 pm

Greg B wrote:I don't know how much time you would have to spare on your once a month visists home :wink: but we seem to almost have a quorum in Melbourne. I feel a get together coming on.

cheers

The six or so Melbourne quorum members could easily outnumber the Collingwood cheer squad and supporters club.

Good on the Melbourne D70 users club! :D

Cheers

GRaham
bago100

Postby Greg B on Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:09 pm

Nicole wrote:Hi,

Just joined up. I've been into photography now since late last year. Wish I had the D70 then... Quickly became bored with the trusty P&S so bought the D70 earlier this year. I'm really into wildlife, birds and more recently macro photography.

Will be going overseas late this year to give it a serious beating in high humidity. In the mean time having lots of fun taking heaps of photos.

Hi Nicole

Welcome to the forum, it is great to see the melbourne numbers increasing.

I can tell a similar story with the P&S to d70 transition, no doubt, many people have a similar history.

You have probably looked throught the forum already, and I am pleased to say that it is just as friendly and enjoyable as it appears.

Cheers
Last edited by Greg B on Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Greg B on Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:11 pm

bago100 wrote:The six or so Melbourne quorum members could easily outnumber the Collingwood cheer squad and supporters club.

Cheers

GRaham

All other considerations aside, Graham, it would be hard to better the enthusiasm of the collingwood cheer squad - they are a formidable lot!
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:03 pm

Greg B wrote:it would be hard to better the enthusiasm of the collingwood cheer squad - they are a formidable lot!

To bad about the team though. :)

Seriously, I'm really pleased to see that we're (finally starting to build up a few active melbourne users. You need to expand that phone box into a rotunda in a park, and arrange a get together in the not too distant future.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:46 pm

I'm here, I'm in Melbourne.
PlatinumWeaver

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:08 pm

PlatinumWeaver wrote:I'm here, I'm in Melbourne.

And you're member #150. Congratulations, and welcome!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:33 pm

Wohoo!! #150

Thanks for the welcome. Feel free to blame Onyx for inviting me over. :)
PlatinumWeaver

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:49 pm

PlatinumWeaver wrote:Wohoo!! #150

Thanks for the welcome. Feel free to blame Onyx for inviting me over. :)

PlatinumWeaver,
Welcome, pity Onyx got the blame :cry:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:26 pm

Welcome Platinum weaver, good to have another melbourne member, and number 150 as well.

Have fun.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Onyx on Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:28 pm

Hello PlatinumWeaver, glad you registered here and already I'm seeing a few of your posts all over the place. :) Let me formally welcome you - this is the D70 forums. Aussies are in the majority, with only a handful of "outsiders" (we still love you guys). This place is only young, and you're the 150th member. Though I think we have to subtract 1 because snafu/Kristine re-registered, actually 2 cos Gary as 2 accounts... but anyhow. Gary is the admin/mod, sharing the title/duties with his son Nnnnnnnsic. Birddog is somewhat of a legend around these neck of the woods - no one person has done so much or given so much to this community than him, so he's adorned the tittle of "Patron". The rest of us... well we're mere nobody's. :)

Check out the current photo comp if you haven't already (potential prizes!).
Onyx

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:02 pm

Thanks all for the welcomes!

Onyx. I have been reading over a lot of the posts and yeah, Birddog seems to give heaps! I saw the competition and the prizes ( Oooh R800! ).. I'll have to keep reading to see what's involved in entering that.

Thanks again all.
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby Matt. K on Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:37 pm

Greg B
Stop fretting! I have found your Melbourne members! They are all driving around Sydney in motorcars bearing numberplates that state..."Victoria...the place to be".

So what the hell are they doing here?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby bago100 on Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:44 pm

Greg B wrote:
bago100 wrote:The six or so Melbourne quorum members could easily outnumber the Collingwood cheer squad and supporters club.

Cheers

GRaham

All other considerations aside, Graham, it would be hard to better the enthusiasm of the collingwood cheer squad - they are a formidable lot!

True Greg - but the D70 group as it currently is, would go close! :D Wouldn't you say?

I'm probably a bit hard on the Pies, but being an ex Victorian (Shepparton boy) it is a patriotic duty to be this way :D

Good to see the Melbourne group growing though. Won't be long now before we start planning National conventions of the D70 user group!

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:48 pm

Hope we can organize something next year in Aug. D70 anni.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:28 pm

Hi all. About to head overseas for a few months and have been looking at purchasing a Nikon D70 as I have a Nikon F80 with a Nikkor 28-70 and a Sigma 70-300. So I believe this would be a good addition to what I currently have. Just a bit concerned as to whether to get it Duty Free without any play around time before I go to check for any defects.
kipper

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:47 pm

Duty free ( from what I recall ) has changed recently and you can have up to a month between buying the item and showing the item/receipt to the people at the airport to arrange your refund, this is how it was for me last year when I bought my first camera anyway..

I would suggest talking to a few duty free stores, the people working there will have a better idea of the current rules and regulations..
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby kipper on Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:19 pm

Yeah for some reason I sort of recall when I bought my F80 on my last trip that the bloke at Michaels said you can open it aslong as you show take the boxes in the duty free bag with the receipt and duty free documents.

Might go to Michaels to see what the best price they can do me for. I pretty much don't want to spend anymore than $2000 for the body plus a Nikkor 18-80mm lense. Looks like Ted's are doing them for $1995, so I'm sure Michaels can do them for better then less Duty Free. Should get for around $1750-1800 I hope Duty Free.
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:58 am

PlatinumWeaver wrote:Duty free ( from what I recall ) has changed recently and you can have up to a month between buying the item and showing the item/receipt to the people at the airport to arrange your refund, this is how it was for me last year when I bought my first camera anyway..

I would suggest talking to a few duty free stores, the people working there will have a better idea of the current rules and regulations..

Duty Free store ain't cheap, don think that way, you can buy any items within 30 days from any store (with invoice showing GST portion) prior to your departure and you can claim the GST at TRS counter after Immigration checkpoint at any International Airport. Please remember Duty imports taxes is no longer applied to photographic equipments or related, only GST.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:32 am

From what I remember about the photographic stores in Melbourne, Michaels was the one place I wouldn't go... partly because they were hideously expensive, partly because the people there were more clueless than I usually see here in Sydney (some of the people at Fletcher's or Paxton's; Ted's rules :))
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Next

Return to Melbourne