How small is the world!

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

How small is the world!

Postby Antsl on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:05 pm

The other day I was walking home from the train station having just shot a job in the city when by chance I spotted a women walking an interesting looking dog into the park across the road form our house. I asked her what flavour it was and she said it was a Spoodle, a breed of dog my other half and I are thinking of getting for ourselves. Anyway, she said they moved it over from NZ when they shifted here a year ago. I guessed she was a North Islander but she said no, South Island, Christchurch to which I mentioned I was from Chch too!

Anyway to cut a long story short, she asked me what I do and I said I was a photographer and she said "I know who you are .... I am Andrea's sister". It took me a moment to figure out but we had actually met at a wedding in NZ a few years ago where I was there as my best mates best-man and she was there is as brides sister! This woman who lives just 100 metres from our place in Melbourne is my best mates sister-in-law! How small is the world!
Antsl

Re: How small is the world!

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:52 pm

Sounds like a good reason to celebrate.

Way cool.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Marvin on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:15 pm

LOL how amazing to meet up! By the way, we have a spoodle too and she is lovely!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby phillipb on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:43 pm

If you get a Spoodle, try to get one which is more poodle then spaniel, My neighbour has one with the opposite characteristics and it's as dopey as a door knob :D

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby zafra52 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:54 pm

That's proof of my three degrees separation theory. Not seven degree, just three.
A friend of mine believes that if you try hard enough you will find some connection to Charters Towers (Centre of the World) and guess what so far this little game hasn't failed.
zafra52

Postby christiand on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:50 pm

The world is very small ...

A few years ago, I was travelling on one of the Japanese Shinkansen(s), Bullet Train.
Opposite to me sat a couple - they were from Canberra, where I am from. :)

There you go ...

Cheers,
CD
christiand

Postby Hudo on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:00 pm

As they say it's just a big pub...
Hudo

Postby team piggy on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:50 pm

I travel Hong Kong and Bangkok / Thailand usually yearly. in 2004, I am in a super remote area looking at a ruined temple on the Border of Laos/Thailand and I turn a corner to be looking into the face of one of my clients from Adelaide..... "I bet you thought you could get away from work she says...." :roll:
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby whoalse on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:20 pm

Did you un-holster your camera for a spontaneous post-wedding (way post) session shoot?

The world is small for sure as when I was visiting a family friend and her newborn in a KL hospital during my trip back, someone called out my name on my way up to the maternity ward! A classmate of mine whom I haven't met for ages was there! Of all places, we met in a hospital.....!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoALSE => Allen
One form of time travel is thru Captured Moments
whoalse

Postby Big Red on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:44 pm

many years ago my Auntie in law rang my future wife to tell her i had gotten married on the weekend as it was in the local paper ... turns out the other Shane Gerrish is an IT guru in brisbane. [i was on the Gold Coast]
there is only two Shane Gerrishes in the world apparently ... :shock:

not long after i received a call back from a help desk and the tech knew him ... was wondering why the guru was asking help from someone he taught :lol:

i rang him up one night ... his father is also named Allen David Gerrish and lives in NSW [mine in Bendigo]

there was a whole heap of other stuff like that and we are not even related :shock:
Big Red

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:34 pm

You guys aren't even trying.

One of my very good mates, whom I have known for about 15+ years is the great, great grandson of one of this country's former prime ministers.

Alicia, mine wife and whom I met in very random circumstances (yahoo site, 8 years ago), is from Brisvegas (yeah, yeah, I know), and we were talking at one point and she mentioned that her great uncle, or something, was a former prime minister (won't mention names, but he was PM (country party) for about 19 days or so).

Anyway, long of it is that one of my best mates is my wife's cousin.

:D :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:Anyway, long of it is that one of my best mates is my wife's cousin.

So, what you're really saying is that you're both Taswegian! :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:57 pm

gstark wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:Anyway, long of it is that one of my best mates is my wife's cousin.

Don't drag me into it! (well, anymore than I have been) :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:04 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
gstark wrote:

Don't drag me into it! (well, anymore than I have been) :D

I'll take that as a yes. :twisted: :twisted:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Melbourne