Jells Park

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Jells Park

Postby kipper on Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:30 pm

For any of you that are considering going to Jells Park for family days out or even for photography you might want to consider. The Park has had the back half of the lake track closed for the past 2 months due to the storms that we had back in February. Not sure when they plan to have them fixed. There is a notice that says "Due to a lack of experienced contractors we're having difficulty getting the track repaired promptly" or words to that effect. Probably more like they don't want to pay the right price for decent contractors to do the job.

So if you're looking for taking photos of Water Hens or Cranes etc, then I'd wait until the track reopens as I find a lot of the wetland animals are best shot from that side of the lake.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Nicole on Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:09 pm

Thanks for this info. I had planned to visit the park sometime. I will keep checking back on the Parks Vic website to see if there is any change.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Re: Jells Park

Postby yeocsa on Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:04 pm

kipper wrote:For any of you that are considering going to Jells Park for family days out or even for photography you might want to consider. The Park has had the back half of the lake track closed for the past 2 months due to the storms that we had back in February. Not sure when they plan to have them fixed. There is a notice that says "Due to a lack of experienced contractors we're having difficulty getting the track repaired promptly" or words to that effect. Probably more like they don't want to pay the right price for decent contractors to do the job.

So if you're looking for taking photos of Water Hens or Cranes etc, then I'd wait until the track reopens as I find a lot of the wetland animals are best shot from that side of the lake.

did I hear Cranes. I am keen. Let me know if when you are going.

cheers,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby kipper on Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:33 pm

Arthur, I pretty much can go every night from where I'm situated :)

Glen Waverley -> Jells Park = 2km from my house :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:18 pm

Hi Kipper,

I am staying at Box Hill.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby ajax on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:25 pm

been there last Wednesday. From the Shepherd Rd inlet. At the info junction, one track leading to High Street and Norton Lane was still obstructed with the notice mentioned above. It said something track will be closed for another month or so.

cheers,
Ajax
Hope is immortal...
ajax

Postby kipper on Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:20 pm

Thanks for the info ajax. The main track around the lake I was told just said that it will be closed until they find an experienced contractor to do the job. I was told no time frame was given.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Nicole on Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:46 am

Well I checked this out yesterday. I think everyone knows the Conservation area has reopened. I didn't take a map with me so just went for a walk. I got onto the track that follows the creek even though I wanted to go to the lake. Anyway was worth it as there were some nice birds in that area. A very pretty yellow and black Golden Whistler. I did eventually make it to the conservation area and took some more pics but by then the light was getting quite harsh so I decided to head home.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby kipper on Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:33 am

Yeah I forgot to update this thread Nicole, has reopened about two to three weeks ago. I mentioned it at the meet to somebody not sure who.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Nicole on Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:46 am

I think it was me you mentioned it to.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby kipper on Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:59 am

Geez, my memory is shocking :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:38 pm

kipper wrote:Thanks for the info ajax. The main track around the lake I was told just said that it will be closed until they find an experienced contractor to do the job. I was told no time frame was given.

Hi Kipper,

Are there other smaller tracks to the lake? Maybe i will buy a camouflouge hide - set it up for birds photography. Bring some hot coffee and snack too! Anyone keen to join?

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby kipper on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:05 pm

I'd be up to join. There is only one main track around the lake. With a few that branch off and meet back up onto the main track.

Types of birds that I've seen at the lake are:

Cranes
Ducks
Coots
Cockatoos (occassionally)
Gallahs (occassionally)
Parakeets or Laurikeets (occassionally)

Not sure if this is the best place to have a hide. Quite a few people go around the lake and I'm sure that you'd gain more attention then the birds :)

I've been trying to suss out some other good places for bird photography around here. I went down to Edithvale wetlands the other day and it looked quite good (lots of birds) but the access at the main entrance looked a bit limited/restricted (too far, one view point). Nicole said there are some other better spots, so I'll have to try them out at some point.

I was going to go upto Banyule Flats sometime this weekend. Might be this afternoon after I charge up my camera / archos batteries. Going to Melbourne Airport for sure to capture some pictures. Just warming up the flask now. I want to capture some wrens and willy wagtails, but I haven't really seen anything over this side of town.

Nicole put me onto http://www.birdobservers.org.au/ and http://www.cohsoft.com.au/bayboca/

Might have to go check these out:
http://www.cohsoft.com.au/bayboca/news/wrens.html

Just looked at a listing of birds spotted at a specific location. Jells Park has heaps but I'm guessing you really have to be patient as it's a very heavily populated park, and as such I'm sure the birds get scared off fairly easily.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Nicole on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:25 pm

I'd be in for that. I saw a few bush birds at the first spot I went to yesterday at Jells Park (different from the track around the lake). There were a few signs warning about snakes though. I went off the track yesterday and didn't see any. :shock: Not sure how a hide would go there.

The web sites Darryl mentioned are really handy for finding out good spots for the birds. Darryl, I got a great views of a willie wagtail and wrens yesterday. Maybe it was my lucky day. 8)

I'll probably go to Edithvale tomorrow arvo if you guys (and ayone else) are interested. I can show you the other spot I was talking about.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby kipper on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:04 pm

I might be up for that.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:27 pm

Hi

sound interesting. just go to start somewhere. i spotted some birds at Blackburn Lake. the birds are very high up as the trees are very tall there. Even 400mm is not enough.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Return to Melbourne