It's so big

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

It's so big

Postby gstark on Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:55 am

And heavy too.

That's Birddog'3 beautiful new 200-400VR.

This is not a casual use lens; it looks serious on or off a camera, and there is no way that you'll be thought of as an amateur photographer if you have one of these on your camera.

At a minimum, a monopod is must; it's really too haevy to hold up to your eye for any more than a minute or two.

Build quality is superb, s is the image quality.

In failing light, I shot a few images. These are a couple of full size crops. They're on the large-ish side.

I'm impressed, but my 80-400 will have to suffice for now.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:46 am

Thanks for that Gary :wink:

Awesome Piece of glass!!!!!!!

Nice & sharp but then again with a price tag like it has it should tell you when to push the shutter :shock:

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:54 am

And levitate.

For that much case, I don't want it to need a monopod or a bloody neck strap for the lens... I want the damn thing to have some sort of levitation hovercraft-ish technology built into it so it just hovers above the ground.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Raydar on Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:11 am

Nnnnsic wrote:And levitate.

For that much case, I don't want it to need a monopod or a bloody neck strap for the lens... I want the damn thing to have some sort of levitation hovercraft-ish technology built into it so it just hovers above the ground.

Yes that would be handy :wink:

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby Onyx on Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:22 pm

Yes, I saw some pictures on Mr Poon's camera earlier today of Glen holding it and taking pictures with it. It's sitting right next to me now - I have free and unsupervised access to it! Birddog's out running errands, and I'm here at his playground supposedly doing "work" (making up nametags for tonight's xmas meet guests). I'll have to have a play around when I'm done. It's just so tempting! :D
Onyx

Postby gstark on Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:40 pm

Just remember to put it back when you're done.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mj on Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:42 pm

Now keep your mind on your work and not be tempted by large and exotic glass !!! :shock:

Otherwise we'll be in a complete muddle with the nametags :oops:
Mj

Postby Onyx on Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:35 pm

LOL funny you should mention that - the first batch I had it spelt "D70uses.com". :?

What a sweet, sweet lens the 200-400VR is. There's also the expodisc, Nikon Coolwalker, etc. Birddog's other new toys.

MHD dropped by, and I still couldn't coax the challenge 2 winner out of him... I guess we'll all have to wait till tonight. ;)
Onyx

Return to Equipment Reviews