85mm 1:8 Nikkor Lens Qui

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

85mm 1:8 Nikkor Lens Qui

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:00 pm

Just bought one of these second hand last night for $345. They sell new at http://www.jd-online.com for $600 or Maxwells quote $949.

Great lens! Sharp and very quick to focus. This lens is an AF not AFS. The kit lens is AFS, meaning a motor in the lens which is usually a faster method than AF which is a little screwdriver sticking out of your camera and turning a screw (you can see the screwdriver at 7 o'clock on your lens mount). Still even with older technology this is a very quick to focus lens, probably because it is a prime not a zoom.

Nice big aperture of 1:8 meant a few shots taken today on aperture priority were at 1/5000sec. Interestingly the front glass is huge, this is the only lens I have where I can look into the lens and read things on the other side of the viewfinder! This lens is perfect for portraits, at 1.5m it neatly fits my 19"monitor with 1cm frame into its viewfinder edge to edge. The bokeh (out of focus elements) seems reasonable and was happy with the shots I took today. I bought this lens for portraits, especially low light ones, and I think it will be great for that.

Would I buy it again? In a flash!
Would I buy it on a budget? Yes

a better review http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/85AF.htm

Good luck

Glen
Glen

Postby Raydar on Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:10 pm

Great stuff Glen 8)

Looking forward to seeing some images from it mate :D

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Re: 85mm 1:8 Nikkor Lens

Postby birddog114 on Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:23 pm

[quote="Glen"]Just bought one of these second hand last night for $345. They sell new at http://www.jd-online.com for $600 or Maxwells quote $949.quote]

Congratulation on the lens you've just got, it's excellent lens, I got one before and passed it to my friend and settled on the 85 f.1.4, you perhaps will take some portraits and see yourself some difference in between this Saturday at the meet with my 85 f1.4
Have fun
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:18 pm

I was considering the 1:4, couldn't find one second hand and cheapest new was about $1500, thought like you Birddog, start here and if I prefer the 1:4 trade up. Look forward to comparing them.
Glen

Postby Onyx on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:28 pm

Glen, I've heard many good things about this lens - I'm looking forward to seeing some sample images from it too.
Onyx

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:42 am

I've just posted an image of Birddog, taken with his 85mm 1.4, in the lens lust thread. What a beatiful lens; the detail that is showing on the NEF is simply amazing.

I know your's isn't quite the same, but it should be, from a practical point of view, just as good. Have fun.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Reviews