New Epson P-2000

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New Epson P-2000

Postby birddog114 on Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:05 pm

Just came back from the Post Office, and it's in my hand,
Very nice design and great view with its LCD screen, far better than the Nikon Coolwalker IMHO, have to put it away atm ortherwise I'll get in trouble with the wife, no productivity this months, to many toys around.
It's ready for Onyx to run them with the review by the end of the week.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:51 pm

Birddog, I dunno about me getting around to your place this week. I know you got alot of catching up to do with your work. Maybe on thurs when I go pick up my graduation gown at Usyd I could drop by your place, on fri I got the ceremony thing... I had forgotten about that! ;)
Onyx

Postby JordanP on Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:36 pm

I may have missed the post but is there a price on this little gem?
Craig
JordanP

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:26 pm

Onyx wrote:Birddog, I dunno about me getting around to your place this week. I know you got alot of catching up to do with your work. Maybe on thurs when I go pick up my graduation gown at Usyd I could drop by your place, on fri I got the ceremony thing... I had forgotten about that! ;)

Onyx:
Do it on Saturday morning at the mini meet if you have time. No worry.

JordanP

It's US$500.00 but no stock in the US or HKG (Import from Japan), a big demand. Epson won't distribute them to the Asia Pacific market, only for Europe and North America + especially for Japan market. It's confirmed with Epson last week and in the seminar this morning, I brought this toy along with me just showing off to all the Epson guys which I have known and shocked them with the unit. They show it to their bosses, and actually they could not get them either, they asked me where did I buy it? :lol:

My buddies back-ordered it since it was announced and luckily they got one for me.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Suri on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:48 am

Very interested to see how this little beastie operates Birddog. I have followed it's development with interest.
Suri

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:54 am

Suri wrote:Very interested to see how this little beastie operates Birddog. I have followed it's development with interest.

Suri,
It operates very nice indeed, huge screen and lot of features, it's very competitive with its price tags in comparison with other non brand products. It beats the Nikon Coolwalker miles away.
Well recommended!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby tsanglabs on Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:51 pm

Looks & sounds great, I would love to get my own. But even if there was stock I'm still sore after buying my 70-200 VR.
tsanglabs

Postby Raydar on Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:26 pm

Just found this!!!! :wink:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:56 pm

I had the opportunity of looking at the Epson P2000 and the Nikon Coolwalker at Birddogs yesterday side-by-side.

The Epson unit makes the Nikon look absolutely inadequate IMO - it is a truly beautiful, well made and functional piece of equipment.

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby tsanglabs on Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:06 pm

One thing that worries me with these devices esp the epson is how long before the screen get completely scratched. I know it comes with a case, but the large screens seem to me like they would attract hard/sharp surfaces (Or is that just my lack of hand eye co-ordination).
tsanglabs

New avatar

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:14 pm

Wow, onyx! Great avatar.
Did you make that yourself? :lol:
the foto fanatic

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:18 pm

tsanglabs wrote:One thing that worries me with these devices esp the epson is how long before the screen get completely scratched. I know it comes with a case, but the large screens seem to me like they would attract hard/sharp surfaces (Or is that just my lack of hand eye co-ordination).

Hi tsanglabs - no problem with a pda screen protector as some of us have put on the D70

Chris
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Re: New avatar

Postby Onyx on Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:19 pm

cricketfan wrote:Wow, onyx! Great avatar.
Did you make that yourself? :lol:

Way to derail the thread topic. :D It was the lobster, scampi, prawn salad my extended family prepared over xmas. I merely enjoyed it.
Onyx

Epson P-2000

Postby glamy on Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:23 pm

A nice screen is one thing but reliability is another (the other thread on dpreview by the guy who lost a few Gig worth of pictures with the Coolwalker). I myself still am undecided which way to go: burning CD or Coolwalker type of storage.
Happy New Year and Happy Shooting
G. Lamy
glamy

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:34 pm

Hi glamy

Personally I back up all tifs and raw images to DVD but the ideal use IMO for the P2000 etc is to download photos in situations where a computer is not to hand. This enables the use of just one compact flash card. The P2000 also enables you to play movies similar to the Archos(?)

Chris
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Re: Epson P-2000

Postby birddog114 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:11 pm

glamy wrote:A nice screen is one thing but reliability is another (the other thread on dpreview by the guy who lost a few Gig worth of pictures with the Coolwalker). I myself still am undecided which way to go: burning CD or Coolwalker type of storage.
Happy New Year and Happy Shooting
G. Lamy

glamy,
You're thinking the other way, how can you burn your DVD on an assigment of shooting as wedding, shooting models or trekking? The PSD is the temporary device to help you save your works on the move, clear your CF cards for more shooting, once you're back to your base then you can do whatever way you wish.
No ones in the world can give you any assurance that data/ files/ images will stay on your CD/ DVD/PSD ever without loss.
I have three PSD devices and use them frequently in the field, but none of them give me any problems, apart from those I have 6 CF cards of 1Gb & 2Gb to play with.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby glamy on Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:11 pm

I myself still am I have three PSD devices and use them frequently in the field, but none of them give me any problems, apart from those I have 6 CF cards of 1Gb & 2Gb to play with.[/quote]
G'day,
Which PSD would you recommend?
Gerard
glamy

Postby birddog114 on Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:44 pm

glamy wrote:I myself still am I have three PSD devices and use them frequently in the field, but none of them give me any problems, apart from those I have 6 CF cards of 1Gb & 2Gb to play with.

G'day,
Which PSD would you recommend?
Gerard[/quote]

Gerard,
It's depend on your budget, the $290.00 is the the cheapest one, you can find around as per the thread from our Bargain Section.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby louiek on Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:09 pm

Hi

Here is my experience with PSD's

I am on my second PSD, the compactdrive.

I am thinking of adding a laptop mid-year for the purpose of transfering my photo's out in the field, and also being able to burn them onto cd's.

One thing that i do know is that on the occasions that I have used my compactdrive to copy my CF cards, timing was critical.

Runnning out of CF space while a V8 supercar race was still in progress is not a good thing, especially when a spin-out occurs and the D70 says card full.

I could not afford downtime before i could resume shooting. With the compact drive, I could take the card out of the D70, place it into the compactdrive, start the copy process, leaving the psd in the camera bag, and use the second CF card in the D70.

In this situation, if I only had a laptop, I would have wasted a lot of time, and missed quite a few more shots.

Louiek
louiek

Postby birddog114 on Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:34 pm

louiek wrote:Hi

I am thinking of adding a laptop mid-year for the purpose of transfering my photo's out in the field, and also being able to burn them onto cd's.

One thing that i do know is that on the occasions that I have used my compactdrive to copy my CF cards, timing was critical.

Runnning out of CF space while a V8 supercar race was still in progress is not a good thing, especially when a spin-out occurs and the D70 says card full.

I could not afford downtime before i could resume shooting. With the compact drive, I could take the card out of the D70, place it into the compactdrive, start the copy process, leaving the psd in the camera bag, and use the second CF card in the D70.

In this situation, if I only had a laptop, I would have wasted a lot of time, and missed quite a few more shots.

Louiek

louiek,
to get a laptop and burn a CD/ DVD in the field is not a good solution, to start the laptop up and do some manual works/ processes prior to burn the CD/DV may take from 5-10min, and it's depend on weather, location etc...
The best thing to do is grab more CF cards if you're in the game and a PSD, leave the burning at home or when you're relaxing.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby louiek on Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:06 am

[quote="Birddog114"][quote="louiek"]Hi

Louiek[/quote]

louiek,
to get a laptop and burn a CD/ DVD in the field is not a good solution, to start the laptop up and do some manual works/ processes prior to burn the CD/DV may take from 5-10min, and it's depend on weather, location etc...
The best thing to do is grab more CF cards if you're in the game and a PSD, leave the burning at home or when you're relaxing.[/quote]

Birddog

I agree.

The laptop would compliment the PSD, not replace it. Burning would only be done at the end of the day.

I plan to slowly replace my many small cards with larger cards. The old cards can be used in my other cameras.

Louiek
louiek

Return to Equipment Reviews