Astone 1 GB

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Astone 1 GB

Postby dooda on Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:56 am

Just wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on this card as opposed to the Sandisk or Lexar. Is there any difference? It's definitly a lot cheaper and I think I'll go with it through Birdie, but can't be too sure about this stuff (of course Birdie seems to deal mostly with quality merchandise etc).
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

anstone v sandisk

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:16 am

I've never used Anstone, so I can't comment about transfer rates, quality control etc.

But I wanted to make sure that you were aware of Birddog's latest offering of 1GB Sandisk for $150.

Bargain 8)
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:30 am

Dooda,

we're using them with no issues whatsoever. While I can't give you any comparison data with, say, a Sandisk, I can tell you that it's as fast as the camera is.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:41 am

Dooda, same experience as Gary, seems perfect
Glen

Postby Geoff on Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:03 am

Hi Dooda,
I got the 1gig Astone last week from Birdy - no problems at all, I like it :).

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Matt. K on Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:09 am

Dooda
The Astone cards are fine. I get the same performance from my Astone as my Sandisk Ultra.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Onyx on Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:35 am

Dooda, I would have thought CF cards in North America were much cheaper that you won't have to resort to buying from our Birdie.

But anyhow, many members here seems use it without problems.
Onyx

Postby dooda on Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:20 pm

Thanks all. It's as I thought, but in talking with a tech head at work he thought that I was crazy to put my precious photos on a card that I didn't know the brand. He didn't realize the trust that this community has in Birdie.

Onyx, the cheapest retail sandisk 1gb ultra I could find around here was $199 Ca. I'm not really into checking ebay. There isn't Astone available over here (and one found on the internet was 150$ US, which is about 175 Canadian). The Sandisk through Birdie was 150 and the Astone, in Canadian money works out to about 112.00 (120 Aus). I will pay him that plus some gladly for his troubles.

The 50mm 1.8 I found here for cheap enough ($169.00 Ca) not quite as cheap as Poon, but close enough. The 1 Gb card through Birdie is about half the price of what I found here, so it's well worth it for me as long as it doesn't put him out too much.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby gstark on Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:01 pm

Dooda,

What about Fry's? Look at outpost.com? They may have some bargains with overnight delivery.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby johndec on Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:38 pm

I gave my Astone a fairly serious workout today and it worked like a charm. No doubt the best value around. Buy with confidence :D
johndec

Postby BBJ on Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:46 pm

Dooda, I haven't had a problem with the astone i also have sandisk as well in another camera and no probs with that either. i too got mine from Birdy, and well whats a brand name now days, doesn't make know dif to me, and i dont leave my pic on them that long anyhow but as soon as i tranfer to computer i format card.
A saying here on an tv add for smallgoods goes (Is Don Is Good, i would say If Birdy has it, it good)
Cheers
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Great card

Postby ru32day on Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:54 pm

I have only taken the Astone I got from Birdy out on about 4 shoots so far, but I'm very happy with it.

I had great advice from forum members before purchase, so I bought with confidence - to the extent that I entrusted the photos of my son's primary school graduation to this card. All went extremely well (discounting the person behind the lens of course).

I compared the performance of the card to a Sandisk extreme III (although the Sandisk is only 512MB). After filling up the (memory/cache???) when taking continuous photos, the Astone seemed every so slightly slower - I'll try and describe.

Sandisk - ker chink, and ker chink and (where ker chink is the shutter and "and" is the wait).
Astone - ker chink and a ker chink (where "and a" is the wait).

Hardly any difference at all and certainly not an issue "in the field".
ru32day

Re: Great card

Postby mudder on Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:17 pm

[quote="ru32day"]
Sandisk - ker chink, and ker chink and (where ker chink is the shutter and "and" is the wait).
Astone - ker chink and a ker chink (where "and a" is the wait).
quote]

I love your timing mechanism! :lol: You're not an ex-roadie are you? too, too, one too...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby gstark on Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:03 pm

How many roadies does it take to change a light bulb?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:55 pm

gstark wrote:How many roadies does it take to change a light bulb?

One Two, two, two.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Greg B on Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:56 pm

gstark wrote:How many roadies does it take to change a light bulb?

Don't do bulbs man, talk to the lighting guy.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Return to Equipment Reviews