Comparison of Canon, Sigma, and Nikkor VR's

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Comparison of Canon, Sigma, and Nikkor VR's

Postby dooda on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:32 am

Just read in my favorite mag a comparison of 80-400's for Canon Nikon and Sigma VR's (actually Canon's was a 100-400 IS)

The results were that they all worked nicely, however the nikon consistantly saved them 2 1/2 stops, where the Canon and Sigma saved them 2 stops only.

In the same mag there was a review of the new Manfrotto Neotec Tripod. Anyone heard of this. Legs slide out and lock automatically without flipping levers or turning anything like magic. Anyone heard of it? Sounds pretty cool.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Greg B on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:42 am

Article about the tripod here...

http://www.shutterbug.net/news/080304tripods/
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Glen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:27 am

Dooda, i was thinking of the Neotec monopod, as I liked the design for a monopod and weight isn't such an issue. Matt K said he had seen trouble with the pistol grip manfrottoo monopods (which is the neotec) so I got a Feisol CF instead.
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:39 am

Glen wrote:Dooda, i was thinking of the Neotec monopod, as I liked the design for a monopod and weight isn't such an issue. Matt K said he had seen trouble with the pistol grip manfrottoo monopods (which is the neotec) so I got a Feisol CF instead.

And Matt.K is going to manufacture the tripod with own brand and trademark :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:51 am

80-400 is the first VR lens released by Nikon. Subsequent iterations of VR technology in later lenses have substantially improved its performance (the current best being 200/2 and 300/2.8). The results of the mag comparo I believe is a standing testament to Nikon's superior engineering skills versus that other company's superior marketting skills.

This is reflected in the Google search entry for "Canon Lenses" the official Canon USA site: http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/ has the following description -

"EF Lenses Home... Canon is recognized around the world for innovations and advancements in the field of ... Nothing"

Edit: screenshot -
Onyx

Return to Equipment Reviews