Bigma impressions

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Bigma impressions

Postby skippy on Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:05 am

I've had a bit of a play with the Bigma now, mainly at Western Plains zoo. Thought I'd do a brain dump of my impressions, in no particular order and with an explicit disclaimer that it won't necessarily be coherent...

• Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 APO RF HSM. I bought it from BHPhotovideo (dammit, should have prevailed on Birddog's generosity!) with a Tiffen 86C UV Protector filter. Yes, that means it's an 86mm filter. Used with a Manfrotto 676B monopod.
• Sigma's spiel: "This is a lightweight high performance zoom lens covering focal lengths from standard to ultra-telephoto. Four elements of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass effectively compensate for chromatic aberrations. The HSM models provide quiet high-speed AF function, as well as full-time manual focus capability. The Rear Focus system aids in quick convenient manual focus. The tripod mount is composed of magnesium, to minimize total weight. A zoom lock allows this lens to be used with SIGMA EX teleconverters, as a manual focus super-telezoom."
• According to Sigma it's 95mm x 218.5mm and 1840g. Length with filter and both end caps is closer to 245mm.
• It's huge! Takes a bit of getting used to the size and weight, but the biggest glass I had before it was the 70-300ED. Taken about 800 photos with it, so feels natural now. Still, put the kit lens back on and first thought was "awww, isn't it cute?"
• Initially quite stiff to zoom, but loosens up as you use it.
• Zoom lock is essential if you store it vertically. Would be very handy if it also worked at lengths other than 50mm.
• Foot seems quite good, but loosening the knob enough to rotate the collar takes a few turns.
• Best handheld position is with the collar underneath. Hold the collar, which gives you fingertip control of zoom and focus.
• Focus seems generally quite good. Don't think it's as quick as the kit lens, but faster than the 70-300ED. Can get a bit confused at times.
• Minimum focal distance of 100-300cm, but seems closer. Of course, 100cm from the focal plane is only about 60cm from the filter at full zoom.
• Still having trouble with camera shake, even with the monopod. Not sure if it's trouble adapting to the monopod (first one I've used), too much/little coffee or just a fact of life with an effective 750mm zoom.
• A surprising number of shots come out ok. Thought less of it until I realised I should be using unsharp masking :)
• Even a couple of 1/60th shots worked at full 500mm. Monopod, but I'm still surprised the subject is even visible.
• It's conspicuous as hell! Lots of comments about the lens, especially with monopod attached. My favourite moment was walking along with the camera in the crook of my arm and collapsed monopod sticking out sideways, and a little kid made raygun noises at me!
• Shutter stuck open once. Pressing shutter again did nothing, random fiddling also did nothing, power cycling camera unstuck it and returned to normal.
• Seems a little loose on the camera. Not like it's going to fall off, but it moves a bit in the lens mount.
• Camera doesn't feel right hung from neck strap with Bigma attached. Maybe just nervous of the weight. Comfortable when strap set quite long and camera carried in the crook of my right elbow. Monopod can also stick out to the left.
• Great reach, but I'm greedy. I'll probably try at least a 1.4x TC with it. :wink: Add a tripod and a couple of cascaded TCs and maybe I'll be able to get a full frame moon pic! 8)
• Pics on my pixspot gallery Western Plains zoo were all taken with the Bigma; mostly at full zoom. The cheetah walking towards me is notable because it was taken at 1/60th shutter speed.
• I like it!

Seems I had more impressions than I thought. :P
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby skyva on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:35 pm

Thanks for the review. I am seriously thinking about getting the Bigma. I guess its main competitor is the Nikon 80-400mm, which is more expensive.
One thing that I would like to see (perhaps you know a link if not a shot) is the same shot at say 70mm, 200, 300 400 and 500mm, so I could get a feeling for the reach of the 300-500 end of things.
skyva

Postby skippy on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:20 am

Not quite what you're asking, but these ones I've already posted are at 50mm, 200mm and 500mm. These were the first few pics I took with the Bigma, and were taken out my window with a monopod. Interesting that the lens moves quite a lot to go from 50mm to 200mm, a fair bit less than that to reach 400mm and hardly at all to go to 500mm.

50mm (160KB)
200mm (140KB)
500mm (110KB)

See what I can do for you about a full range, but I don't have any other comparison shots at the moment.
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby skippy on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:47 am

OK, reposted my Bigma pics since pixspot is having probs. Not as pretty, but kinda functional.

http://www.helies.net/wpzoo

Almost all the pics were taken at full 500mm on a monopod. All at iso200.

Here's the exif:
giraffelick.jpg: 1/320, f/8, 85mm
rhino.jpg: 1/200, f/6.3, 500mm
rhinobaby.jpg: 1/100, f/10, 500mm
rockdweller.jpg: 1/640, f/8, 500mm
rockgroup.jpg: 1/640, f/7.1, 500mm
giraffeface.jpg: 1/400, f/6.3, 500mm
cheetahwalk.jpg: 1/400, f/6.3, 500mm
cheetah.jpg: 1/60, f/11, 420mm
cheetahsad.jpg: 1/60, f/11, 500mm
willywagtail.jpg: 1/250, f/6.3, 500mm
duck.jpg: 1/250, f/6.3, 500mm
skippy

Postby skyva on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:19 am

Thanks again, those shots were a big help. As you said, the difference between 50 and 200 is huge, but there may not be that much of a difference between 300 to 500mm. Of course I realise it is the ratio's that must be taken into account not the differences between focal length, but it is much better to see it in a picture compared to saying "a 500mm lens gives you a 1.67 magnification over a 300mm lens". I can't picture such things in my mind's eye.
As a newbie I am trying to work out what lenses to purchase so I get a reasonable coverage, but I think I might not worry about length too much and think about what type of photos I want to take.
skyva

Postby stubbsy on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:28 am

skyva

I have a 80-400 VR I'm playing with at the mo. I have taken some shots from the same spot to a target 1.2 Km away at 80, 300 and 400mm. I also plan to do the same with my 70-300mm G lens (only no 400mm). Plus I intend to do the same comparisons with a closer target (ie m not Km)next weekend. Mid next week (pixspot being alive) I'll be posting the lot along with my (very subjective) comparative review.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby MCWB on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:17 pm

Skippy: thanks for the review! Seems like a tricky lens in terms of compromise, especially at full zoom... bumping up the ISO to 400 might be worth it in terms of exposure flexibility. It's a bit hard only going by a few pics, but camera-shake notwithstanding, at 500 mm it looks like it's pretty soft wide-open, and even when stopped down a bit. You've got more experience with it though, do you agree?
MCWB

Re: Bigma impressions

Postby redline on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:14 pm

skippy wrote:I've had a bit of a play with the Bigma now, mainly at Western Plains zoo. Thought I'd do a brain dump of my impressions, in no particular order and with an explicit disclaimer that it won't necessarily be coherent...

• Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 APO RF HSM. I bought it from BHPhotovideo (dammit, should have prevailed on Birddog's generosity!) with a Tiffen 86C UV Protector filter. Yes, that means it's an 86mm filter. Used with a Manfrotto 676B monopod.
• Sigma's spiel: "This is a lightweight high performance zoom lens covering focal lengths from standard to ultra-telephoto. Four elements of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass effectively compensate for chromatic aberrations. The HSM models provide quiet high-speed AF function, as well as full-time manual focus capability. The Rear Focus system aids in quick convenient manual focus. The tripod mount is composed of magnesium, to minimize total weight. A zoom lock allows this lens to be used with SIGMA EX teleconverters, as a manual focus super-telezoom."
• According to Sigma it's 95mm x 218.5mm and 1840g. Length with filter and both end caps is closer to 245mm.
• It's huge! Takes a bit of getting used to the size and weight, but the biggest glass I had before it was the 70-300ED. Taken about 800 photos with it, so feels natural now. Still, put the kit lens back on and first thought was "awww, isn't it cute?"
• Initially quite stiff to zoom, but loosens up as you use it.
• Zoom lock is essential if you store it vertically. Would be very handy if it also worked at lengths other than 50mm.
• Foot seems quite good, but loosening the knob enough to rotate the collar takes a few turns.
• Best handheld position is with the collar underneath. Hold the collar, which gives you fingertip control of zoom and focus.
• Focus seems generally quite good. Don't think it's as quick as the kit lens, but faster than the 70-300ED. Can get a bit confused at times.
• Minimum focal distance of 100-300cm, but seems closer. Of course, 100cm from the focal plane is only about 60cm from the filter at full zoom.
• Still having trouble with camera shake, even with the monopod. Not sure if it's trouble adapting to the monopod (first one I've used), too much/little coffee or just a fact of life with an effective 750mm zoom.
• A surprising number of shots come out ok. Thought less of it until I realised I should be using unsharp masking :)
• Even a couple of 1/60th shots worked at full 500mm. Monopod, but I'm still surprised the subject is even visible.
• It's conspicuous as hell! Lots of comments about the lens, especially with monopod attached. My favourite moment was walking along with the camera in the crook of my arm and collapsed monopod sticking out sideways, and a little kid made raygun noises at me!
• Shutter stuck open once. Pressing shutter again did nothing, random fiddling also did nothing, power cycling camera unstuck it and returned to normal.
• Seems a little loose on the camera. Not like it's going to fall off, but it moves a bit in the lens mount.
• Camera doesn't feel right hung from neck strap with Bigma attached. Maybe just nervous of the weight. Comfortable when strap set quite long and camera carried in the crook of my right elbow. Monopod can also stick out to the left.
• Great reach, but I'm greedy. I'll probably try at least a 1.4x TC with it. :wink: Add a tripod and a couple of cascaded TCs and maybe I'll be able to get a full frame moon pic! 8)
• Pics on my pixspot gallery Western Plains zoo were all taken with the Bigma; mostly at full zoom. The cheetah walking towards me is notable because it was taken at 1/60th shutter speed.
• I like it!

Seems I had more impressions than I thought. :P

Hi Skippy, could you describe the af speed on your lenses? afs-like?
not too familar with the sigma.
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:23 pm

redline,
it won't beat the Nikon 80-400 in focusing, the Nikon is faster.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby skyva on Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:04 pm

Stubbsy, I look forward to the pictures and review, especially the comparison between 400mm and 500mm ends of the Nikon and Sigma respectively.
skyva

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:13 pm

skyva wrote:Stubbsy, I look forward to the pictures and review, especially the comparison between 400mm and 500mm ends of the Nikon and Sigma respectively.

He only has the 80-400 and doesn't have the Bigma.
I have both of them and ditched the Bigma after two months (1.1/2 years ago)
Birddog114
birddog114

Re: Bigma impressions

Postby skippy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:09 pm

redline wrote:Hi Skippy, could you describe the af speed on your lenses? afs-like?
not too familar with the sigma.

Seems pretty similar to the Nikon 70-300ED, in both the focus speed and the tendency to occasionally be confused and hunt back and forth trying to focus. Manual focus is pretty nice though.
skippy

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:17 pm

If you can play on the Nikon 80-400VR then you can tell more about the difference.

The 80-400VR is lot more quicker than the Bigma in AF, easy to handle in low light if needed to be.

The missing part of the Nikon is 50-80 and 400-500 + more money into the Nikon.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby skippy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:07 pm

Birddog114 wrote:If you can play on the Nikon 80-400VR then you can tell more about the difference.

The 80-400VR is lot more quicker than the Bigma in AF, easy to handle in low light if needed to be.

The missing part of the Nikon is 50-80 and 400-500 + more money into the Nikon.

It'd be very interesting to have a play with it, but not sure I should. At the moment I'm happy with the Bigma, but if the 80-400VR turns out to be as good as you say I'm going to be unhappy. A few weeks out from settling a mortgage is not the time to be lusting after glass! :shock:
skippy

Postby skippy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:10 pm

Then again, I just took a look at your prices for the 80-400. Retail here for the Bigma is more than that - maybe I can eBay the Bigma to pay for the 80-400!
skippy

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:30 pm

skippsy,
there are many chances and opportunities for you to try if you wish to, cos few members have the 80-400VR at the mini meet tomorrow and next week at the pinic.
At other mini meet I always have mine, but randomly shoot with it cos I have the 70-200VR + 3 TCs and now the 200-400VR.
That was my first long reachable lens at "Warbird Over Scone in 2000".
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby skippy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:31 pm

Can't make it tomorrow, but will be there on the 22nd, hoping to try the 80-400!
I'll bring the Bigma if anyone wants to try it, unless I sell it first... :wink:
skippy

Postby Nicole on Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:01 pm

Just out of interest I have the Sigma 100-300 F4 and the Nikon 80-400. The 100-300 F4 is an EX+HSM lens and is a very nice lens and quite sharp. The only reason i got the 80-400 was that the 100-300 plus the 1.4x teleconverter is very heavy to carry around. Oh and the 80-400 has the extra reach without the teleconverter. However I would say this Sigma focuses faster than the 80-400VR.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby birddog114 on Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:44 am

And more pros & con in between them:
- Nikon 80-400VR can be travel light/ Bigma not
- Nikon 80-400VR can be handholding for all day/ Bigma is so heavy, it won't stay long on your hand
- Monopod or tripod is a must, sturdy tripod and head is required in windy condition to keep the lens not vibrate and creeping for the Bigma.

In the real term the Bigma produces sharp/ nice images same as the Nikon 80-400VR, every lens has its sweet spots same as the guy behind the viewfinder.

For a starter/ beginner, people want to have a long reachable zoom lens but again don't want to spend more buck on the other stuff as monopod and tripods same as plate, bracket and would like to travel light, then I recommend to go with the Nikon 80-400VR.

If you're a weight lifter and happy to lug around the monopod/ tripod same as having a budgetary for other gadgets, and having time to set it up in the field, then go for the Bigma with less premium.

In shooting:
You won't miss a shot with the 80-400VR cos you can handhold and panning it if required, you can shoot fast without the legs. You won't miss the opportunity for shooting. It can be your walk around lens in some cases.

Bigma with the legs, slowly in shooting if you want to move or change your position. It's not fast!

I have both the 80-400vr and the 50-500 (No longer in my inventory). Both are rather different, especially in use.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:24 pm

skippy wrote:...I'll bring the Bigma if anyone wants to try it, unless I sell it first... :wink:

Woah, thinking of selling already?! Have a chance to get the know the lady first before you dump her! ;)
Onyx

Postby fozzie on Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:01 pm

skippy,

I will stick with my 70-200VR + TC-17EII. Excellent lens, fast as well as sharp and with TC just as good IMHO :!: .

This is one very happy camper, especially since the cost of the 70-200VR has gone up by approximately AU$300 in recent time :D :D :D .

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Onyx on Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:27 pm

Hey Skippy, thanks for bringing your Bigma along to the meet and for letting me try it out.

My impressions - the lens is constructed from what feels like ceramic material. It's hard smooth metal and definitely no lightweight. It has fantastic reach! 500mm is a 'touch someone across a field' focal length.

f/6.3 at the long end is a little slow. The lack of VR also means support is essential, or things can get shaky. It's great stopped down 1 stop, but wide open and with max reach (500mm), it's visibly soft and prone to CA. Image quality in this case is comparable to the lowly 70-300's. Pics of the blue tank top girl to come...
Onyx

Postby skippy on Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:20 pm

Onyx wrote:Hey Skippy, thanks for bringing your Bigma along to the meet and for letting me try it out.

My impressions - the lens is constructed from what feels like ceramic material. It's hard smooth metal and definitely no lightweight. It has fantastic reach! 500mm is a 'touch someone across a field' focal length.

f/6.3 at the long end is a little slow. The lack of VR also means support is essential, or things can get shaky. It's great stopped down 1 stop, but wide open and with max reach (500mm), it's visibly soft and prone to CA. Image quality in this case is comparable to the lowly 70-300's. Pics of the blue tank top girl to come...

No prob, glad you enjoyed playing with my Bigma :twisted: . <pause for ribald comments>
Good reach, and does feel solid. Still pretty stiff movement in the zoom, after something like 500 shots with it at Western Plains zoo. Think that's mainly weight, if you point the camera down the lens zooms itself pretty quickly. It's been supplanted by the power of VR though!

Oh, saw the pic of the girl you posted in another thread - looks like she's posing for the shot!
skippy

Postby stubbsy on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:47 pm

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've posted my 80-400 VR review here
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to Equipment Reviews