Handle mount flashes

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Handle mount flashes

Postby Joe on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:52 pm

I actually got around to testing my D70 with my big old Sunpak 611 flash today, and recommend that some of you consider the possibilities and potentials of using one, or something like it.

It is clumsy and awkward, no doubt. But its C-cell batteries hold LOTS of flashes, and you should be able to shoot average-situation bounce flash at f/5.6 or f/8, instead of f/2.8, as many shoe-mount flashes do.

I shot tests of my daughter, bouncing the flash from the wall/ceiling behind me, at f/5.6 with the D70 set at EI 200, and had plenty of power to spare, no problem at all.

(And, is that little 50mm f/1.8 Nikon lens sharp at 5.6!)

There are many of these old "potato masher" flashes on the used market. They do not have the whiz-bang computer capabilities of a new Nikon flash, but they're cheap, dependable and are very versatile, even having enough power to use with an umbrella or other light modifier.

As I implied, they aren't for everybody, but for some of us, they are excellent.

Peace,
Joe
Joe

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:38 pm

Joe - also good to use with a slave coupler - a cheap way to go

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Onyx on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:55 pm

Joe, just be aware of trigger voltages if using these older flash units designed with 'mechanical' cameras in mind. Even though the D70 is somewhat forgiving (250V when the industry standard specifies max 12V), the electronics might not survive for long at the higher range.

I was happily using a Metz 30BCT4 flash unit on my D70, enjoying flash syncs speeds upto 1/8000th and auto flash metering from the combo until the trigger voltage issue made me upgrade to the SB800.
Onyx

Return to Equipment Reviews