Epson 2200/2100

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Epson 2200/2100

Postby SoCal Steve on Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:18 am

Don't mean to scare anyone, I love Epson printers, own two and will probably buy more in the future. That said, I thought this should be mentioned. It was pointed out to me buy a very close friend who owns a 2200 and is a mech. eng. at co. in Calif. that makes the black boxes for airliners. This is what he wrote about it this a.m.;

"The negative thing about the Epson 2200 is that apparently there is a counter which FORCES service on the unit which costs about $180. I believe the reason is an ink cleaning unit beneath the rail."

He has one at work that has already gone in for this work. Don't know the print count or color useage before that needs to be done, however.

I would assume that this would be similar on the 2100 model.

(My apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find reference to it in my search.)
Last edited by SoCal Steve on Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoCal Steve

Postby birddog114 on Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:21 am

The Epson 2200 model is not distributed in Australia, they are slightly difference in between two models and I don't think all the Aussie have seen the Epson 2200.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:52 am

It wouldn't surprise me, Epson's business practices for their inkjet printers have become somewhat shady of late, in their attempt to counter the use of 3rd party inks. Deliberately instigating "features" that cripple or prevent the use of inks other than their own, refusing to print black documents when no colour cartridges are installed; forcing a back to base service seems consistent with their business conduct.
Onyx

Postby pippin88 on Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:56 am

Onyx wrote:refusing to print black documents when no colour cartridges are installed

Or when colour has run out, but cartridges are still installed.

Damn that annoys me.
pippin88

Postby Mark T on Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:20 am

Yes, I've got an Epson Stylus Color 1160 and I think it's a great printer, but...

I do hate it when it won't print when it thinks that the ink is running out. Do they think that I can't tell when the ink has finished? A flashing icon or warning dialog would be far better.

Mark T
Mark T

Postby SoCal Steve on Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:26 am

Well, I think an automatic stop when the ink runs out is just fine with me, as long as there is also a manual override so that you can go on printing if you have to do so.

If your printing multiple pages unattended and the ink runs out, you can waste some good paper and the black or color ink that isn't empty.

Give me choices, Damn it! That's what I want. Choices.

Okay, I'm fine now.
SoCal Steve

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:00 am

I'm still not a big fan of Epson.

Their colours don't seem quite as accurate as Canon's, you have to go for the big guns in their line-up to get any accuracy out of the bloody images, their cartridges are usually ridiculously overpriced, to make a print out of your printer it seems you might have to do YET ANOTHER head clean, and their older printers actually seem to print more accurately in my opinion, as well as faster...

Except for their A3 and A2+ printers, nothing they do in the field of printing seems to impress me... so a screw-up in an Epson printer would be the least of my surprises...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Matt. K on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:11 am

The Epson printers have a waste ink tank that collects the ink used by cleaning cycles. When it is full it needs to be replaced. I have been using a number of 1160's A3 size for over 3 years and have not yet needed to replace the tank. I love the colour and the resolution of the Epson 2100 and the 1160. The ink is expensive but the output is excellent.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Mark T on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:26 am

Yes, more choices would be good! btw: I've produced some great posters (2A0 size (4 x 4 @ A3)) with the Epson 1160. I was disappointed, however, when they didn't incorporate the poster option in their OS X driver. I have to do it by hand in Photoshop now. :(

Mark T
Mark T

Return to Equipment Reviews