New body-cap (Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II)

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New body-cap (Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II)

Postby photoaffinity on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:22 pm

Well i figured i'd pick up a new lightweight lens after my last trip to melbourne, so i wandered in to my local camera store and picked up an EF 50mm 1.8 ii for around $150.

It's so much fun! reminds me of the old days with my trusty pentax k1000 and 50mm 2.0

the lens is super light, and it makes the 5d mkii look more like a consumer slr, meaning that candid street stuff is much more easy to pull off with out drawing too much attention. I'm not really a fan of using a long lens for street photography, it just doesn't feel right.

The focus is pretty slow, although it gets a lock pretty fast (i wouldn't use it for chasing birds).
The bokeh is ugly at anything tighter than f2.2, and it feels so cheap and plastic that i feel i'm going to break it every time i go out.

But despite all that it's not come off the camera since!

One reason is it is so small and light i can carry the camera when i normally wouldn't, i simply slide it under my jacket on my R-Strap type hanger and forget it's there until something interesting happens.

I would love to have a play with this thing and the video on the 5d Mkii... might give it a try this week :)

Here are some samples, taken over the last couple of days:
From the sunday markets at marrickville:

The camera museum:
photoaffinity

Re: New body-cap (Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II)

Postby surenj on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:11 pm

:agree:

The nifty fifty is a must have for any brand of camera.... If money is not an issue the "sexy fifty" is a bit better for auto and manual focus as well as Bokeh.
surenj

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:28 pm

It's my fav and only lens i've bought..
compard to the shitty stock lenses this is my baby....
I'm quite keen on selling it to go to the 1.4 just for the fun of it.
here's a quick one I played with last week on the bench at work...

I might add the pic that all seem to like too...

sorry getting carried away.... my old pet twiggy.....
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 400D
50mm 1.8 EF
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby photoaffinity on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:47 pm

They are some lovely shots !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!
although sitting on the water conditioner, twiggy looks like fish food for my oscars :twisted:
photoaffinity

Postby muzz on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:02 pm

Just bought one today from PRA Imaging in Perth for $125 - beats the grey marketeers as well! Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I'm looking forward to it. Just need to find a duck!!
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:26 pm

muzz wrote:Just bought one today from PRA Imaging in Perth for $125 - beats the grey marketeers as well! Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I'm looking forward to it. Just need to find a duck!!

Well done...good to see there's still good deals. I got mine about 12months ago for the same price.
I have seen them for over $150!

As for photoaffinity..I think u should use ur 50mm 1.8 and get sum shots of ur oscars!
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 400D
50mm 1.8 EF
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Return to Equipment Reviews