Gitzo3530LS & RRS BH-55

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Gitzo3530LS & RRS BH-55

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Not quite a review yet, but the initial impression is very favourable. The tripod is light but seems extremely stable. The RSS ballhead is as solid as a rock, and the controls are positive. Once set properly in place there is absolutely no movement.

My earlier Manfrotto drops after you "lock" the camera into position, and the composition you have set up so painstakingly is altered. Totally useless for macro work and barely usable for landscapes.

I'll give more info later.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: Gitzo3530LS & RRS BH-55

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:57 pm

I have to agree wholeheartedly. I got the 3541LS, but otherwise the same bit of kit. VERY pleased with preliminary play
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby chrisk on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:18 pm

nice rigs. ive been looking at the 2542L to match up with the RSS head i just ordered. whats the advantages of the 3 series tripods over the 2 series ?
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby wendellt on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:57 pm

i got a bh r55 way back when i had a large tripod i found out i could get away with using a benro kb-0 attached to a gitzo 4 section travel tripod the most compact one in their lineup
sold bh55

anyway i do miss it was the creme della creme of ballheads the verticle camera swivel is so smooth

have fun but you have to keep that exposed ballhead clean and away from sand
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:26 am

Rooz wrote:nice rigs. ive been looking at the 2542L to match up with the RSS head i just ordered. whats the advantages of the 3 series tripods over the 2 series ?

Basically Load capacity. 18Kg over 12kg
I already had an 2541EX with RRS BH40, but found the combination a little lacking for slow shutter at long focal lengths.
With the new 200mm lens + 2X converter + DX crop factor it shows distinct signs of vibration when I get down to about 1 sec exposure. Otherwise I love it.
I almost bought the 2541 Mountaineer but decided that was too close to what I already had. so I went to the 3 series in case I go even longer in future. To keep weight down I moved to systematic and bought L series to overcome the height loss of no centre column. Still coming to terms with its loss. It a right royal pain to do a small adjustment in height. Still I can always add a centre column later.

The three series is probably overkill for what I do now, but It gives me room to grow.

Have you considered the new RRS tripods? They look interesting, but did not have the combination I was after. THey probably will in another year, but I sincerely hope I NEVER have to buy another tripod.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby chrisk on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:To keep weight down I moved to systematic and bought L series to overcome the height loss of no centre column. Still coming to terms with its loss. It a right royal pain to do a small adjustment in height. Still I can always add a centre column later.

sorry, not quite following this. what does systematic mean ? are you saying you dont have a centre column ?

Have you considered the new RRS tripods? They look interesting, but did not have the combination I was after.

too expensive for what they are imo.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Return to Equipment Reviews