Fuji X100

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Fuji X100

Postby ozimax on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:43 pm

I sold my 70-200mm and purchased an X100 last week and have spent the last few days shooting in the Northern Territory, including Katherine Gorge and Litchfield NP, plus a little bit around Darwin.

The camera in a word? Astonishing.

This camera is very impressive. Of course, I really like my 5D Mkii (& 50L lens), but the IQ of the X100 is close to par with it in low light. A large sensor with a small-ish pixel count seems to have done the trick, combined with some Japanese wizardry. ISO 3200 is a doddle, and even 6400 is clean. I was shooting at 12,800 the other night at the Darwin night markets.

It is quirky and a tad irritating at times, but there is a large firmware upgrade coming in the next few weeks which should (hopefully) address some of these things.

I have owned and thoroughly enjoyed using the G9, G10, LX3, E-PL1 etc etc. All great cameras, but when it comes to image quality, they're not even in the same universe as the X100, IMHO.

It is already a cult camera, and will become a classic.

However, I do realize that it is not for everyone. AF is not in the DSLR league, and of course it is a fixed lens. It is perfect for me, for landscapes and people.

Thoroughly recommended camera and worth every red cent.

Here's a few quick images, completely unprocessed except for cropping for web.

This one was taken in almost pitch black darkness at the Darwin beach markets last weekend, ISO 6400
ISO 12800 by Ozimax, on Flickr

ISO 12800
ISO 12800 by Ozimax, on Flickr

Ultra quick pano mode
Ultra quick in-camera panorama by Ozimax, on Flickr

Litchfield NP. This image was taken using the inbuilt ND filter, and was post processed
Litchfield NP by Ozimax, on Flickr
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Fuji X100

Postby Wink on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Florence Falls. Beautiful spot!

Head out to Fogg Dam on the Arnhem Hwy if you're after a close and easy to get to bird location.

I loved the Top End. This time of year would be magic up there!
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Re: Fuji X100

Postby ozimax on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Wink wrote:Florence Falls. Beautiful spot!

Head out to Fogg Dam on the Arnhem Hwy if you're after a close and easy to get to bird location.

I loved the Top End. This time of year would be magic up there!

Unfortunately Wink I was in the park for only 2 hours! We started down the Stuart Hwy on Monday morning and here I am back in Coffs on Wednesday afternoon! (I flew back from Darwin today).

It is a beautiful place in Winter, from what I have seen. My mate up there has just purchased a 250 acre property backing onto the Katherine river, so I have a place to bunk down whenever I want to, in the future.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to Equipment Reviews