Review: Pro Camera Waterproof Cover Rain Coat for D-SLR...

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Review: Pro Camera Waterproof Cover Rain Coat for D-SLR...

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Because I sometimes get caught out shooting on a tripod when it might rain or the camera might otherwise get wet (e.g. sea spray) I decided to purchase a relatively cheap waterproof rain cover for my DSLR to take for those times when I might need it.

After a little online searching I decided to get this Pro Camera Rain Waterproof Cover Coat for Digital SLR from eBay for just under AUD$18 delivered.

The cover folds up into a very nice small (fist sized) bundle which is easy to put in my camera bag when I need it but has a number of useful features which make it more ideal for my intended use and the type of shooting I do.

- has a double side zip opening at the bottom to allow you to place it over a camera on a tripod
- has a clear top and back area allowing visibility of the camera, controls and LCD's
- has draw string side sleeves allowing you to safely put your hands and arms in to control the camera
- has a draw string front hole which extends out over the lens barrel - so you can pull it tight out near the front of the lens
- it also has a built in stiff lens hood piece with velcro on both sides so you can wrap it around your lens out near the front with a bit of a roof piece at the top so it can shield the front of the lens and the front element from rain
- it also appears to be quite well made

I've used it a couple of times now with no issues - yes it's a bit more cumbersome and clumsy than without using it but it sure beats the heck out of having your camera and lens in the rain. The only negative for me so far is that when it is raining and it's dark it can be a little hard to see the screen through the clear back plastic.

Basically this thing is very cheap (under $20) for what you get and appears to be the same as other much more expensive models I found online. It is still a little more expensive than some other items I also found in my search, however they looked to be more like a very thin disposable plastic raincoat/bag.

... and if you'd like to avoid the whole $20 expense thing you could always make your own DIY Rain Guard For Your Camera From An Old CD Spindle.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Re: Review: Pro Camera Waterproof Cover Rain Coat for D-SLR.

Postby Murray Foote on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:38 am

I purchased a cheap cover like this and decided I wasn't impressed (yours may be better). I ended up buying a couple of Thinktank Hydrophobias which are the expensive solution but built very much better than the cheap Chinese version. Mind you, the purpose is different. Dealing with a bit of rain locally is a different proposition from extended use in very cold conditions in Antarctica or Japan where you don't have much capacity to replace defective equipment.
Murray Foote

Postby Mj on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for this link Rodney. There are a number of times something like this would come in handy but it's not the sort of thing I'm inclined to spend a lot on as it would spend more time in the office at home rather than in use. A plastic bag has been my usual kit for this purpose!
In you view would this protect from a real down pour (e.g taking images during a storm) and/or from a splash from below (e.g. an unexpected wave).
Photography is not a crime, but perhaps my abuse of artistic license is?
Mj

Postby Remorhaz on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Mj wrote:In you view would this protect from a real down pour (e.g taking images during a storm) and/or from a splash from below (e.g. an unexpected wave).

Down pour I'd say probably yes. From below - not so sure - would probably depend on whether you had the zipper open or not and the position of the sleeves at the time.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby Murray Foote on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:43 pm

One problem I had with the cheap one I got was that it fogged up really easily and made it difficult to see the back of the camera. Still better than nothing, though.
Murray Foote

Return to Equipment Reviews