Manfrotto Tripod 190PRO

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Manfrotto Tripod 190PRO

Postby below-0 on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:36 pm

Still images make me happy!!

I've finally got enough for a great tripod, but nothing as expensive as some have suggested for a tripod. just a standard slightly more advanced one that will last and show reliability when needed.

I'm planning on getting the Manfrotto Tripod 190PRO, any experiences with this one, has a grip trigger release function also.

http://www.manfrottoshop.com.au
below-0

Postby Onyx on Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:13 pm

I had the 190CL - bought as an alternative to an entry level fixed head tripod (Manf. 724B/728B, etc), but now in BBJ's posession. Good stable set of legs, if mated to a nice head it should give you good service. At the time, I got a cheap head with it and it annoyed me to no end.

Twas a bit lacking in height for me too.
Onyx

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:16 pm

Onyx wrote:Twas a bit lacking in height for me too.

Stop wearing the stilletos and you'll be fine.
:P
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby johndec on Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:29 pm

gstark wrote:

Yeah, that Hong Kong air seems to have improved his complexion (and gender) :roll:

Below-0, I've also got a 190CL. Quite sturdy, but also quite hefty, however a good tripod for the money.
johndec

Postby birddog114 on Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:33 pm

johndec wrote:
gstark wrote:

Yeah, that Hong Kong air seems to have improved his complexion (and gender) :roll:

Below-0, I've also got a 190CL. Quite sturdy, but also quite hefty, however a good tripod for the money.

And can use one of its leg as a walking stick 8) :lol: :shock:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Oneputt on Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:05 pm

The 190 pro is the model that I have although there are several versions. I match it with the 322rc2 head which is fabulous. Love the whole setup.
Oneputt

Postby AlistairF on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:04 am

I also have the 190pro and have teamed it with a #222 pistol-grip ball head. When the need arises, I'll swap this out for my pano head based on a #300N.

Alistair
AlistairF

Postby Paul on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:44 am

I have the 190D matched with the 488RC4, whilst no match for Birdys carbon fibre beasts I find the price and quality is great for my needs right now.
The weight of the legs can be a back breaker even on small trips, you'll be surprised how much extra your carrying on top of your own camera gear.
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby below-0 on Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:10 am

thnks for your suggestions and good experiences! -- 2 heads are better than 1 --

I had a good physical look at the tripod the other day in the city. It's quite a good quality build and fairly heavy, suites me because it will help against camera shake during wind etc.

The pistol head grip is very interesting, do you think it holds the camera very firmly at any angle? because sometimes the shutter speed on a week base can give a bit of shake on a stressed camera angle (eg; pointing down on a 45' side). Also I like to take precise angular shots eg; architecture. doesn't look like anybodies interested in the 3-way heads ??

#3030 :shock:

Grip Action Ball Head w/ Quick Release 3265
below-0

Postby Killakoala on Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:13 pm

Being a Manfrotto man meslef, i'd agree that Manfrotto makes great tripods. The upper-pro level tripods are best, but you'd expect that. The cheaper ones are crap, but you'd expect that too, but still better than anything SLIK can make. I had a SLIK but my D70 broke it.

I would recommend a ball-head though, rather than the three-way thingy.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby gecko on Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:28 pm

Have you checked out a Benbo?
I have a Benbo trekker with ball head.
I find it EXCELLENT - normal tripods are great for level ground, the Benbo can be used in just about any location - great if you are hanging off a mountain or setting up in a rocky creek bed....
I'm sure they make bigger versions, I have carried the trekker all over the world and love it.

Cheers
Gecko
gecko

Postby Oneputt on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:50 am

Check out the 322 head it is also a trigger type grip but better than the one above.
Oneputt

Postby genji on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:08 am

gecko wrote:Have you checked out a Benbo?
I have a Benbo trekker with ball head.
I find it EXCELLENT - normal tripods are great for level ground, the Benbo can be used in just about any location - great if you are hanging off a mountain or setting up in a rocky creek bed....
I'm sure they make bigger versions, I have carried the trekker all over the world and love it.

Cheers
Gecko

can u buy benbo in AU, i wanna check the benbo out!

EDIT..Vanbar in melb have them, type 1 & 2
genji

Postby mickwhit on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:52 am

Hi Genji,

I first purchased a Velbon Sherpa tripod and I was very disappointed with it. There was far too much movement in the platform plate which in turn created images with the dreaded effects of camera shake. I then upgraded to a Manfrotto 055CLB tripod with a 141RC head and I am exceptionally happy with it and would recommend it to anyone.

Here are the links:

Tripod:
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templa ... itemid=811

Head:
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templa ... itemid=273

Good luck.

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby gecko on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:18 pm

There seems to be quite a strong Manfrotto theme here! :D I will stir the pot a bit and again recommend Benbo...

I have had a Benbo Trekker tripod for a couple of years now. Most of my photography is landscapes - I am a keen bushwalker etc I have only just got a D70 and am on a very steep learning curve with it.

Anyway, the Benbo is great. Other tripods are OK if you want to shoot on level ground in a conventional position (standing with the camera between waist and eye height for example). The Benbo design is MUCH more flexible. The camera can be positioned upside down between the legs (which can independedtly swing through a very wide angle), or counterbalanced off to one side.

I did a quick google search and found a review on this site, which I pretty much agree with. There are a couple of photos of the tripod in action to give you an idea of its versitility.

http://burren.cx/photo/trekker.html

This site also has some info and images

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/tripods/benbo.html

I got mine at Photocontinental in Brisbane. Not sure who is stocking them now. I have trashed mine all over the place - it often gets strapped to the back of my mountaineering pack with ice-axes and all sorts of nasty sharp things and it is still going like a trooper.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Gecko
gecko

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:25 pm

gecko wrote:Other tripods are OK if you want to shoot on level ground in a conventional position (standing with the camera between waist and eye height for example). The Benbo design is MUCH more flexible. The camera can be positioned upside down between the legs (which can independedtly swing through a very wide angle), or counterbalanced off to one side.

As can even the "lowly" Manfrotto 190.

So please explain, precisely, how the Benbo is MUCH more flexible?

I'm just asking, but have you actually had a play with a 190? What about other Manfrotti?

What about Gitzos? How many have you had a chance to test for yourself?

I'm not knocking Benbos, as I have no experience with them, but you have not only yet to point out any advantages that they possess when compared with the others, with all due respect, you're sound as though you've never even had a serious play with any of the other brands that you're comparing them with.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gecko on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:56 pm

Hello
OK humble pie time...
:oops:
I've been out of the photographic gear loop for a while and have not played with these other brands recently, though I do have a very old Manfrotto kicking around somewhere...

I have just had a very very quick look on the internet... Can the current Manfrotto/Gitzos etc have their legs independently rotated into any direction? This unrestricted movement very useful for setting up in really rough terrain.

Each leg can be independently positioned, made possible by the tripods unique, highly flexible main joint, which enables each leg to swing through a complete 360 degrees. The centre column can also be swung through 360 degrees, producing a combination that allows the camera to be positioned at almost any point.

Whether used in the standard configuration with a vertical centre column, down at ground level with legs splayed out, or with one of the legs pointing upward finding support from a tree or wall, Benbo tripods can always be relied upon to give complete stability.

I honestly thought Benbo was the only tripod that would do this....

This comes from http://www.patersonphotographic.com/tripods/benbo.html

Manfrotto or Gitzo owners might be able to set me straight on this!
I still think the Benbo is a great design :) ...

Gecko
gecko

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:28 pm

gecko wrote:I have just had a very very quick look on the internet... Can the current Manfrotto/Gitzos etc have their legs independently rotated into any direction? This unrestricted movement very useful for setting up in really rough terrain.

I'm not sure what you mean by "rotated" here, and the reference you've given is unclear - by full 360 degrees, are they saying through the vertical axis, meaning that you can have the legs positioned above the head, or are they saying through a horizontal axis, meaning that you could possible have all three legs adjacent to one another?

Certainly, you can set up the legs at various angles (to a vertical axis) independant of and unrelated to the angles that the other legs may be set to, but in the 190 that's limited to about 85 degrees (almost horizontal legs) IIRC.

But this is hardly a new feature; 20 years ago I had an old Manfrotto that did this as well ...

If you mean can the legs be set to angles other than 120 to one another, then no, not the 190 (I can't talk about other models of Manfrotti 'cos I've simply not looked that closely) but given the flexibility that you have in the other adjustments, I'm not sure that, for most people's requirements, I'd see that as a disadvantage.

I do accept that that might be an advantage under some special circumstances though, although (a) I can't see what it might be beyond what the Mannies already offer, and (b) I therefore can't really see myself needing quite that facility.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gecko on Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:59 pm

Yes the Benbo's legs can be rotated/positioned so that one or more is above the head or at any angle completely independent of the others. It is hard to describe - it has a nifty joint/hub at the centre that allows all of this movement to occur and then be locked in place. It is a very flexible beast, and is really nothing like a traditional tripod (other than it has three legs and a thread for a camera). I take your point that this flexibility feature may not be really important for most people, but it has got me out of trouble when setting up in restricted positions (think tiny little ledge on side of very big mountain).

In no way am I setting out to offend any one here, we all choose the gear that suits the need/desire/budget. I have absolutely nothing against Manfrotto's or any other brand or style at all. I am offering a different perspective and drawing attention to what I thought was an unusual and useful product....

I think I've had my two bobs worth on this topic. I hope that all of this has been read with good spirits :D

Gecko
gecko

Postby Killakoala on Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:26 pm

Or you could always buy a good Gitzo or Manfrotto AS WELL as the Benbo, for when you need the freaky legs stuff :)

You can never have too many tripods. :P
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Paul on Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:45 pm

Killakoala wrote:You can never have too many tripods. :P

Try telling my missus that.. :wink:
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby Onyx on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:17 pm

I've seen some 'Benro' tripods for $50 at the imitation markets here - I wonder how good of a job they do. ;)
Onyx

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:36 pm

Just for sake of clarity, I too have seen the Benbo tripod recommended by many outdoor photographers, Heather Angel being one, often in older books. It looks like they were first with this design. I know Gitzo has a similar one, the Explorer, I considered it when I bought my Gitzo. I assume Manfrotto has one too. The Gitzo site is http://www.Gitzo.com , look for explorer. I chose a std Gitzo for quicker set up.

Here is a photo of the Gitzo mechanism which looks similar to the Benbo, one big lever controls all (on the left in this image)

Glen

Postby BBJ on Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:31 pm

The 190 tripod as onyx said i got it off him is a good tripod very sturdy , not that i use it much at all only mounted to clean sensor but very heavy as well. i would hate to have it trapped to my back and carry it around for a few hrs. But yes a better head would be good. Anyhow not that i use onea lot, hell i dont even use my monopod much now days i seem to walk around with the 80-400 VR all day.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby johndec on Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:08 pm

gstark wrote: What about other Manfrotti?

Greg will be pleased at you pluralisation of Manfrotto :lol:

P.S. Is "pluralisation" a word? I hope so, otherwise Greg will be most annoyed :shock:
johndec

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:58 pm

johndec wrote:
gstark wrote: What about other Manfrotti?

Greg will be pleased at you pluralisation of Manfrotto :lol:

P.S. Is "pluralisation" a word? I hope so, otherwise Greg will be most annoyed :shock:

I think it is, and the pluralisation I used is probably correct ...

uno cappucino,
due cappucini ...

uno Manfrotto
due Manfrotti

and so on. :)

Andy ... care to add something to this ?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:43 pm

I'll have to pull rank with you on this one Gary.

Una Alfa Romeo
Due Alfa Romei

... I don't think so.

Not to mention Una Ferrari

Manfrotto is a brand name, Cappuccino isn't.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Alex on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:16 pm

[quote="BBJ"]The 190 tripod as onyx said i got it off him is a good tripod very sturdy , not that i use it much at all only mounted to clean sensor quote]

John,

Why do you need to mount a camera on a tripod to clean the sensor? I just hold mine. Just curious. Is it Ok to just hold it? I've recently become an owner of 190 and wonder if I now should use it when cleaning sensor...

Alex
Alex

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:11 pm

phillipb wrote:I'll have to pull rank with you on this one Gary.

Una Alfa Romeo
Due Alfa Romei

... I don't think so.

Not to mention Una Ferrari

Manfrotto is a brand name, Cappuccino isn't.

I was wondering when somebody would notice that. :) btw, the plural of Ferrari is ...

Someone has too much money!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:14 pm

Alex, never use a tripod leg to clean the sensor, use a spatula or the tool you get from copperhill wrapped in pec pads :wink:
Glen

Postby boxerboy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:18 pm

Glen wrote:Alex, never use a tripod leg to clean the sensor, use a spatula or the tool you get from copperhill wrapped in pec pads :wink:

I thought I was on the wrong forum there for a minute. :lol:
my karma just ran over your dogma
boxerboy

Postby Alex on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:42 pm

:lol: I knew someone would bring it up :) That's why I said 'using a tripod' not "with a tripod'

Alex
Alex

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:09 am

Alex, never heard of anyone using a tripod before, I just lay mine on the table, will be interesting to hear how it is used
Glen

Postby pippin88 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:22 am

I use a tripod to mount the camera facing down about 45º. This means that dust is unlikely to reenter the sensor chamber after I've cleaned, and also gives a firm position to work against - no need to hold the camera, or worry about it moving.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:35 am

Logical thinking Nick
Glen

Postby Alex on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:08 pm

pippin88 wrote:I use a tripod to mount the camera facing down about 45º. This means that dust is unlikely to reenter the sensor chamber after I've cleaned, and also gives a firm position to work against - no need to hold the camera, or worry about it moving.

Ok, makes sense, but you need a clear view of the sensor at the same time (not to mention a good lighting conditions on the sensor to see what you are doing). Do you just sit on your knees looking up and work from below the camera?

Thanks
Alex
Alex

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:25 pm

Glen wrote:Alex, never heard of anyone using a tripod before, I just lay mine on the table, will be interesting to hear how it is used

I find that the table, like a tripod leg, is too big.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:29 pm

Alex,

Alex wrote:
pippin88 wrote:I use a tripod to mount the camera facing down about 45º. This means that dust is unlikely to reenter the sensor chamber after I've cleaned, and also gives a firm position to work against - no need to hold the camera, or worry about it moving.

Ok, makes sense, but you need a clear view of the sensor at the same time (not to mention a good lighting conditions on the sensor to see what you are doing). Do you just sit on your knees looking up and work from below the camera?

Ever been inside your mechanic's workshop?

Some have hydraulic stands which lift your car to an overhead location so that you can work underneat the car, say, on the exhaust or transmission.

Others have a pit area where they place the car over the pit, and you just walk down a few stairs and presto! you have an under-car vantage point.

Pippin uses a large tripod (one of the big Gitzos or Manfrottos) raised to full height, and a mechanic's inspection lamp, and the works from underneath as if it's a car in your mechanic's workshop.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Alex on Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:43 pm

Thanks Gary,

Will give it a try with my Manfrotto 190 extended to full (oe near full) length with a light source directed at the lens mount, next time I am due for a sensor clean.

Alex
Alex

Postby bimborocks on Thu May 12, 2005 8:47 pm

gecko wrote:There seems to be quite a strong Manfrotto theme here! :D I will stir the pot a bit and again recommend Benbo...

I have had a Benbo Trekker tripod for a couple of years now. Most of my photography is landscapes - I am a keen bushwalker etc I have only just got a D70 and am on a very steep learning curve with it.

I'm looking at getting a tripod for the same sort of thing. Just wondering how heavy it is and how much it cost you?

James
bimborocks

Return to Equipment Reviews