Looking for feedback..

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Looking for feedback..

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:58 pm

I love this shot. I'm from melbourne so I don't have any great love of sydney or there opera house or the bridge or anything.. but when I saw this shot the night after taking it I went 'wow'..

I can't see anything wrong with this picture.. except maybe the people.. I genuinely feel it's a great and different shot so tell me what you would've changed..

The full image is at:

http://www.platinumweaver.net/images/DSC_0383.jpg if you want to see the full thing, or it will be once it uploads...
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby MCWB on Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:16 pm

Superb shot Dean! The sails and shadows work so well together, composition is excellent. One thing I might have done is to crop a little bit on the right hand side, so you don't get that little piece of the adjoining sail. The colour could possibly be a bit cooler too, but it's a nice snap. :)
MCWB

Postby Raydar on Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:27 pm

I like it mate well done :wink:

Go to work in Photoshop mate & get rid of the people & see what you think.
If you don’t have the time to do that, send me a good size file of the image & I’ll have a go at it for you.

Great job :shock:

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby W00DY on Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:32 pm

yeah excellent shot, I love it....

I am no expert (far from it) but there are two things I don't like:

1. As you pointed out the people (but what can you do!!!)

2. I am not to fond of the shadow in the foreground. I like the shadow in the middle the foreground one just seems I bit blank. I think I like the one in the middle becouse of the light coming through it.

Anyway, great photo...

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Matt. K on Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:37 pm

Great shot. I think you need the people as they give the image scale. I think the shadow in the foreground could be lightened up somewhat as it draws the eye.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Mj on Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:49 pm

ok... I'll give a different opinion... I like the people in the shot as the provide scale and context (this is a public building afterall) perhaps I wouldn't by choice have had a security guard as one of the figures but that not so noticable in a normal viewing scale.

The primary things I would play with are to crop a little off the top of the sky, try to soften the foreground shadow and reduce it's contrast so it doesn't draw the eye quite so much.

Nice pic btw... always good to see a different view of our icons.
Mj

Postby ajo43 on Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:05 pm

I can't fault it. Frame it and stick it on your wall. If your melbourne friends will let you!!

I think the people give it nice scale.
Regards

Jonesy
ajo43

Postby Raydar on Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:43 pm

Here tis with out the humans.
Hope you don’t mind Dean, just had to give it ago, I haven’t done this sort of thing for a while & its good practice to keep things fresh.

Click for bigger!!! :)

Cheers
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby xerubus on Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:37 pm

i'll go out on a limb here as usual :)

the shot is nice... however very postcard..

the people are fine... don't detract from the shot at all. I'd crop away the dead space at the top of the frame, and take a little from the right. I'd also do a contrast mask and get some more detail in the shadows.

not trying to be harsh... just offering an opinion :)
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby Onyx on Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:27 am

Yer, I'd suggest doing a contrast mask as Xerubus suggested too.

Raydar's non-human version looks good - I've never been competent enough with the cloning tool to match backgrounds back up after erasing the people. ;)

And lastly, I would have taken two steps to the left so you could see the tip of the roof on the background sail.
Onyx

Postby bago100 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:16 am

Dean
Youu have plenty of expert opinions already, so I'm just going to say - nice shot and thanks for sharing!
Graham
bago100

My 2 cents...

Postby beetleboy on Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:29 pm

I agree with the others that the people are important to give the shot scale. The version without the people could easily be a miniature model replica and no where near as overwhelming.

Plus, i'd take "very postcard" as a compliment! I'd be proud of a shot good enough to be sold as a postcard..

Keep snapping!

Liam =]
beetleboy

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:46 pm

bago100 wrote:Dean
Youu have plenty of expert opinions already, so I'm just going to say - nice shot and thanks for sharing!
Graham

I second Graham

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:44 pm

Thanks so much to everyone that replied and special thanks to Raydar who removed all the people, great job on that!!

The shadow at the front I hadn't really thought about, so if I'm ever in a similar situation i'll keep an eye on things like that, but I definately agree with cropping a bit from the right and agree that if I had managed to get the point of the left-hand arch in the shot it would have improved it.

So thanks again.. I guess after my miserable placing ( not that it was a race ) in the second comp I wanted to make sure I could produce something people liked. :wink:

Thanks again.
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby Raydar on Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:00 pm

As long as your happy with what comes out of the cam mate, in the end that's all that counts :wink:

I’ve had a bit more of a play with the shadows; I will post the results if you like???? :roll:

Cheers
Last edited by Raydar on Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raydar

Postby mudder on Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:02 pm

G'day PW,
Nice to see a shot of the Opera House that's a little bit different, the others have offered their suggestions so I won't repeat the good tips but great shot... Thanks for showing...
Cheers,
Mudder
mudder

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:28 pm

Go ahead if you like Raydar.. :)
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
PlatinumWeaver

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques