First post from new(ish) member

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

First post from new(ish) member

Postby Marty on Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:55 pm

Hi all,
I have only had my D70 for a short time and am still learning.
I am still just shooting in the auto modes.
All photos taken with the kit lens.
Love the camera and the quality of the images from this lens.
I posted a few on PixSpot.

http://www.pixspot.com./displayimage.php?album=71&pos=1

Critique would be welcome.
The images have not been post-processed.
I appreciate all the advice I have read so far.
Look forward to posting more in the future.

Marty
Marty

Postby phillipb on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:03 pm

Well done Marty
I particularly like the last one. Hope to see more soon.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:03 pm

Welcome Marty - I see you are a flower person like myself. My only critique would be to look at some different angles i.e. composition. As far as the colours, sharpness etc I can not find fault.

I am sure that you will get further critique and as I said above welcome to the friendly forum :D

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Kristine on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:04 pm

Hi Marty

First of all, let me welcome you to the forum (and Pixspot! :-) ).

I looked at your pics - they are great for some one just learning; hope to see many more from you in the near future.

Are these pics from your garden?

Cheers
Kristine
Last edited by Kristine on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristine

Postby johndec on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:06 pm

Marty,
I think you and the D70 are going to have a happy and long relationship. For pics with no PP they are good. Of course they are all a little underexposed, but that is not your fault, the camera when left to it's own devices tends to do that.

Get to know and love the P,S,A and M modes. The auto modes are for the point and shoot brigade.
johndec

Postby Marty on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:14 pm

Wow, very quick replies.
Thanks for all your comments and advice.
I know I have to learn the 'other' modes soon.!!!
The flowers are from a friends garden in Nowra, NSW.
I also took this reflection from the swimming pool, which has a stunning colour.....
http://www.pixspot.com./displayimage.php?album=83&pos=4
Will keep posting when I get the chance to shoot more.
Thanks again
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Postby gstark on Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:08 am

Marty,

Welcome, and well done.

Yes, I'd be steering away from the PHD modes. You have made good use of depth of field (DoF) to help focus attention on the flowers.

I would like to see a little bit of PP applied, to help enhance the colours of the flowers a little, or perhaps the use of a custom curve along with a couple of custon settings in the camera to achieve a similar goal.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mudder on Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:13 am

G'day Marty,
Wow, if they're your first shots, I can't wait to see some more over time!

They're very nice, my favorite being http://www.pixspot.com./albums/userpics ... 07-web.jpg
which seems to have a really nicely laid out composition, also noticed that even though the cam was in auto a relatively large aperture (F4.5) was used, blurring the background, which looks like some form of wall (house?) or similar. Wonder what it would be like drooping a sheet of black paper over the wall when framing your shot? Just an idea (maybe a dumb one)... Shows just how good the D70 is too, even in Auto...

http://www.pixspot.com./albums/userpics ... 03-web.jpg might be worth trying that one vertically...?

Nice shots... I really enjoyed looking at them... And welcome to the forum Marty!

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby leigh999 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:45 am

Hi Marty,

I am relatively new as well and I have had my D70 for a couple of months. I really liked the reflection in the pool -

Regards
leigh999

Postby digitor on Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:36 am

Hi Marty,

Welcome to the forum! You'll find it a great place to hang out. I liked your pool shot - keep up the good work!

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby Vicareyus on Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:00 am

Hi Marty - welcome. Nice flower shots. They would really benefit from some simple pp - contrast and brightness, bit of sharpening. Do you have a program for doing this? If you are not very experienced in using it yet, try the auto-fix settings on any program and see what happens - they are usually not bad. Then start playing around yourself as time goes by with more manual pp. Another comment - when taking still-life type photos - pay particular attention to what is in the background - you have minimsed depth of field (DOF) well in these, but some backgrounds can still distract from subject despite this. Good work though - congratulations.
Vic
Vicareyus

Postby Raydar on Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:27 pm

Going great Marty :wink:

Can’t wait to see some of your images when you get to know the cam better!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:10 pm

PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby Marty on Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:11 pm

Thanks everbody for all your advice and comments.
None too harsh thankfully.
I will spend some time playing with the curves and maybe some PP.
Look forward to more critiques shortly.
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Postby meicw on Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:24 pm

Marty, Good shots. Like the cyclamen the best in the flower pics. Good grab of the hawk. Love the pool reflection. That was well spotted.

Regards
Meic
meicw

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques