Mt Solitary and the Three Sisters

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Mt Solitary and the Three Sisters

Postby Vicareyus on Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:51 am

I was in the Blue Mts yesterday and took some shots of these icons. Now I need a bit of advice on how to improve what I think could be a good photo but seems to be missing something. A few issues: doesnt seem sharp enough despite sharpening radius 1, amount 100%. What would you use? I used a CPF for first time - does this have an effect on sharpness?

Second - I did something I havent done before - I also took some in RAW (NEF). Have a copy of Photoshop CS but it wont open them. It appears that the camera RAW plug-in is there when I look at "info" but it just wont boot up when I try to open through "file-open."

All assistance, advice and comments appreciated.

Vic
Vicareyus

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:57 am

Vic

There is a newer RAW plugin for PS CS that covers additional RAW formats including NEF. It is a small free download at the Adobe site. You need to follow the instructions to install it after download to replace the existing RAW plugin with the new one.

That might be the issue.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby xerubus on Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:58 am

Hi Vic...

I think the shot is 'technically' spot on... horizon is fairly horizontal and there's a nice use of thirds..

the CPL won't affect the sharpness... I would try getting an edge sharpening action, which should make a difference... i use the following one:

http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/Dig ... oolkit.htm

regarding the nef in photoshop, just grab the latest raw plugin for photoshop cs... i'm using the beta4 version at the moment which seems fine.... you can grab it from here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

and finally, i'd up the contrast a little.. but only a little....

other than that... well done... nice capture..

it would be interesting to see that shot with a velvia action applied... should look pretty good to bring out the colours a little....

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:59 am

and BTW, it looks pretty sharp to me! Nice shot.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:04 am

Vic - all of the photos that I have taken over the years of the Blue Mountains appear to be slightly out of focus especially when the “blue” is apparent - I believe that this is always the case due to refraction IMO.

Your photo looks fine but if you wanted to work in PS a mask layer could be used to darken the middle left but then it would not be The Blue Mountains!!

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Onyx on Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:12 pm

Vic, if your CPL filter was the Hoya bought from Birddog - I also found that it robs a little sharpness on the kit lens. The addition of this filter shouldn't affect image sharpness, but in reality it does. Can't get around it, I suppose only use it when you have to.

Photoshop NEF plugin - go to your Nikon View, Capture or Picture Project directory, find the "Nikon NEF plugin.8BI" file, copy this to the plugins directory of Photoshop CS, and magically you can now use CS to open NEFs. Although it limits functionality compared to Capture, it still retains the ability to change WB and exposure which I guess are the main factors for shooting RAW.

Further tips for sharpness:
Use no smaller than f/16 aperture (diffraction)
Read up on hyperfocal distances (when consulting tables, use CoC of 0.018/0.020 instead of 0.025 or 0.030 as these are more applicable for film)
Onyx

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:38 pm

However, if you download the Adobe RAW plug, you will have full functionality in PS CS with NEFs
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby mudder on Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:08 pm

G'day Vic,

Re: photoshop stuff, dunno don't have it, but I like the pic of the "sisters", was there a couple of months back myself...

I found it quite awkward getting the "right angle" from the lookout, hard to miss the distracting bits... Was this shot from the upper or lower level? Also, did you try it when the sisters are lit-up at night? Gives it a different perspective... Lots of shiny, sparkly bugs in the spotlights tho..

I like the dappled shadows from the clouds over the hills... I've never noticed losing any sharpness by using a CPL, but like the saturation of the couds... Must have been a very clear day, as I've found some quite strong eucalypt haze over the hills for a few days while I was there...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby robw25 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:16 pm

The addition of this filter shouldn't affect image sharpness, but in reality it does. Can't get around it, I suppose only use it when you have to.

i seem to recall reading somewhere that you should't use filters in matrix mode ?? anyone confirm this ?

cheers rob
robw25

Postby Onyx on Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:40 pm

robw25 wrote:i seem to recall reading somewhere that you should't use filters in matrix mode ?? anyone confirm this ?

cheers rob

True, revert to centre-weighted or spot if using CPL. UV/skylights should be fine in matrix - any slight loss of light with these are well short of the precision of the camera's exposure meter (1/3 stop).
Onyx

I think it is haze

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:45 pm

I'm not sure that we are seeing a lack of sharpness here - I think that it is just haze. It's often seen in landscape shots where the horizon is many km away.

So, I don't think that sharpening will improve it. I think you would need to remove the blue colour cast if you wanted it improved. A levels adjustment may also help.

But, I think it is representative of the actual scene, and I wouldn't be too unhappy with it.
:)
the foto fanatic

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:08 pm

I'd go so far as to say that it's too sharp, at least in the foreground on the sisters themselves...
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Re: I think it is haze

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:18 pm

cricketfan wrote:I think you would need to remove the blue colour cast if you wanted it improved. A levels adjustment may also help.
:)

Vic
Just to clarify, I think there is a blue colour cast on the vegetation near the horizon, in the background of the picture, and I believe that is what you may perceive as lack of sharpness. I don't think it is from the CPF, just the haze that you get over long distance in Australia, particularly in summer. It makes it hard to achieve that "punch" you are looking for.

Sometimes a shot like this is enhanced by not having so much depth. It is very difficult with landmarks like this to get an original perpective, but maybe a tighter crop around the sisters would be slightly better.

But don't slit your wrists, there really is nothing seriously wrong with this pic.
the foto fanatic

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques