There's plenty of alternatives to the blowhole!

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

There's plenty of alternatives to the blowhole!

Postby Jenno on Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:50 pm

Recently spent a week in Kiama on the Sth coast NSW. Its famous for its blowhole but seems every time I'm on holidays it's also on holidays.
Nevertheless there's plenty of other attractions to point the camera at.... In fact its a pretty place thats well set out with plenty of walking trails so one gets fit whilst enjoying a very pleasureable hobby.

This is my first post...been threatening to do so for some time but have been enjoying browsing the forum and appreciating the work and persona
l sacrifice that many have made to assist fellow members and share their knowlege.... Something that I havent detected on other sites.

Keep it up

Jenno

Photos can be found here

http://www.pixspot.com/thumbnails.php?album=86
Jenno

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:57 pm

Welcome Jenno - a nice selection of pics from one of my favourite places.

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Onyx on Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:48 pm

G'day Jenno. Welcome and congrats on having the courage to make your first post a pictorial one. :)

Lighthouse at dusk - I love it!
Onyx

Postby W00DY on Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:50 pm

Is it just me or does "Lighthouse @ Day" have wierd curved lines across the sky???

What would cause this??? BTW - I like the "Lighthouse @ night" shot, I woudl have liked to see a little more light around the lighthouse as well (shot a little earlier maybe?) but hti sworks well.

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Jenno on Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:58 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I also noticed the weird lines in the sky on two of the landscape shots. They dont appear in the original (NEFs) and TIFFs but only when I crunched them down to jpgs and resampled them for the web site.
Jenno

Postby Greg B on Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:09 am

Welcome Jenno, nice shots.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Kiama

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:53 am

Hi Jenno.
Thanx for posting pix so early.
This is good work - keep it up. :)
the foto fanatic

Postby MattC on Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:12 am

Hello Jenno,

I really enjoyed your gallery. The two pics that really struck me were "Kiama Coastline @ dusk" and " Lighthouse @ Night". The first shot I think really showed a mood, although I probably would have framed the trees at the edge of the frame and shown a little more water. The second I think is fantastic. IMO, it has real impact.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby Vicareyus on Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:06 pm

Hi Jenno. Nice shots. Love the flower shots especially the way you have captured the stamens on hibiscus but allowed shallow DOF to soften/blur the rest. Now I want a macro lens too!! The Tamron looks nice from these shots. Thanks.
Vic
Vicareyus

Postby W00DY on Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:14 pm

Jenno wrote:
I also noticed the weird lines in the sky on two of the landscape shots. They dont appear in the original (NEFs) and TIFFs but only when I crunched them down to jpgs and resampled them for the web site.

Hmmm, I don't know much about save for web but I do now when I do it I don't get these lines across my images?

What settings were you using? I usually use JPEG and then either High or Maximum (depending on the size of the image).

Maybe MattK can shed some light on this if he reads the post, he is the PS guru :)

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:22 pm

Hi Jenno

I am assuming that you are using raw and then converting to tif in PS. I have found the best way to prepare for uploading is firstly do not use save for web. This feature optimises images for the web and is usually used when producing web sites with embedded images that have around 30k size. This is not a brilliant size to illustrate your images.

With the tif image go to image and resample the dpi to 72 without resizing the dimensions. Then do a normal save as jpg adjusting the quality to get around 1Mb file.

HTH

Chris

EDIT: Just a little history. One year before Photoshop 1 was officially released in 1990 I purchased an $85,000 BarneyScanner which came bundled with the Beta version of Photoshop so I had the opportunity to use this program for nearly one year before its release. I have been a 100% supporter since those days.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Matt. K on Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:06 pm

Hi Jenno
Congrats on your first post! I love the night shot! Those weird curves are due to some excessive tweaking but you can easily get rid of them by putting a bit of a blur through the sky...or try the Noise filter/median.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Jenno on Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:00 am

Thanks for the advice guys

Posted an improved image this time with no lines.
How did he do it you ask?
Opened the NEF in Capture
Saved as a jpg file setiing "good balance"
Opened in PS
Removed a council garbage bin
Resampled to 72dpi (thanks Chris)
saved at maximum
Bingo!

Ray

http://www.pixspot.com/displayimage.php ... at=0&pos=0
Jenno

Postby Jenno on Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:20 am