First 'real' people shoot...

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

First 'real' people shoot...

Postby xerubus on Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:51 pm

As some of you know, I've been tinkering with the idea of starting to concentrate on 'people' photography... This is quite a learning curve, but here's some of my latest shots... I would appreciate some critique and thoughts.... some shot with the 50 f1.8 wide open, and others with a sigma 300mm..

This couple wanted to have some 'fun' shots prior to their wedding, which made things quite interesting. Firstly, I don't have great people skills. Most people I deal with are computer user's, and naturally being a sysadm I don't like people. :) Secondly, this is a very very new area for me....

The purpose of the shoot was to try and get a natural series of shots rather than posed... here's a couple from the afternoon's shooting....

http://www.nikonaustralia.com/gallery/People/DSC3314

I wish she didn't have her hair tied up... I asked her to untie it but she just had it 'done' for the wedding next weekend and didn't want to get it wet....

http://www.nikonaustralia.com/gallery/People/DSC3274_80

Some typical 'being in love' shots.... i blew it by not having the same focal length for all shots... but... you live and learn.

http://www.nikonaustralia.com/gallery/People/DSC3323

One of very little posed shots... didn't turn out to bad and the client seems to really like this shot.

http://www.nikonaustralia.com/gallery/People/DSC3329

And finally.... just a bit of fun.... i would have cropped it in a lot tighter, but the couple seemed to like the distance and the car in the background... hey.. if they're paying they can have what they like :)

As I said earlier, I'd really appreciate some feedback... the clients are happy, however I need to continue this learning process to 'get it right'...

cheers and thanks in advance...
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:37 pm

For someone who does not like people you have produced some very nice pics. Everything is a learning curve and once you start and enjoy people photography you can give up your job and start a new career

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby xerubus on Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:39 pm

perhaps my wording wasn't very good... i like people... just have poor people skills :)

thanks for the comments Chris..
xerubus

Postby Greg B on Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:49 pm

They are great shots xerubus. I don't think the different focal lengths on the quadtich (?) matter at all.

I have no doubt the happy couple were very pleased with these results.

(I am imagining the sysadmin dealing with the subjects.. "my hair isn't right" - "well take it out and put it back in again and call me back if it still isn't right")

(yes, I do know the difference between a sysadmin and the help desk)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby xerubus on Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:59 pm

Greg B wrote:They are great shots xerubus. I don't think the different focal lengths on the quadtich (?) matter at all.

I have no doubt the happy couple were very pleased with these results.

(I am imagining the sysadmin dealing with the subjects.. "my hair isn't right" - "well take it out and put it back in again and call me back if it still isn't right")

(yes, I do know the difference between a sysadmin and the help desk)

thankyou Greg.... they were happy with the results... however I just don't feel 'pleased'... they don't have that wow factor for me...

i was quite composed when 'hair getting wet' was such a big issue... it really tested by ability to hold my tongue.
xerubus

Postby Greg B on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:08 pm

xerubus wrote:thankyou Greg.... they were happy with the results... however I just don't feel 'pleased'... they don't have that wow factor for me...

i was quite composed when 'hair getting wet' was such a big issue... it really tested by ability to hold my tongue.

I think with photos like this, the absolutely critical thing is the happiness of the clients. In fact, nothing else matters. I gather the hair wet issue was an irritation, and you are justifiably happy with the way you handled it.

I have seen plenty of your shots with plenty of wow factor - that's harder to achieve with people with PMT (Pre marital tension)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Killakoala on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:24 pm

Mate, as far as your learning curve goes, you are doing very nicely.

The pics are very good and i can understand why the clients were happy with your results.

Well done and congratulations on some fantastic pics.

If you are not happy with them then that's fine. Finding things you are not happy with is the best way to improve next time. i look forward to seeing your next set :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby xerubus on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:32 pm

thanks Killa... much appreciated...

the problem i have is where do you put your foot down as a photographer? i.e. some of the shots they have chosen to print (which i have not put on the gallery) i don't like at all... do you say no, as it's your name associated with the shots... or do you take their money and keep your thoughts to yourself?

cheers
xerubus

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:35 pm

Having dealt with ’clients’ for a few years there are 2 approaches - let them know what you like and then give them what they want. I do this because they pay me - sometimes they do listen to what I have to say but the credo is ”have a happy client”

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby xerubus on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:42 pm

thanks again Chris.... i guess the answer was quite obvious, just a little frustrating knowing that the shots they like i wouldn't have even bothered processing from raw and just copied it to a dvd for archive....

cheers mate..
xerubus

Postby Glen on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:02 pm

Xerebus, good shots. They seem relaxed with you, I think you have more of a way with people than you think
Glen

Postby JordanP on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:50 pm

Nice shots Xerebus,

Good people skills is essential if this is the type of photography you want to persue but as others have said - the shots don't reveal that you have a lack in that department. That being said there are a great number of books that could help if you want to improve them. The classic "How to Win Friends and Influence People" - Dale Carnegie would be one that has helped me.

As for a critique of the work - you have happy clients. :? Only comments I would make on the selection you offered us:

First shot a great one. wouldn't fault it. The clients wanted fun and it is a great capture. Only danger here is if the clients didn't want to be that risky especially around rocks and water.

Second was the series, another nice idea. Shooting protrait with people is gold as you can fill the frame better with the obvious subject. Only thing I could fault is with the composition - too much dead space up high. A tighter shot with her head just below the top of the frame would give a more pleasing result IMHO.

Third shot - very sweet. Again a little too much clearence above the couples heads for my liking. The angle you have used is very creative and has worked well. Other more conservative angles may have worked just as well or even better in terms of saleability. Your shot was risky but you pulled it off.

Last shot - priceless! Only thing that could have made the shot better would have been if her eyes were open - but thats really nit picky. Great fun shot.

All that being said your other shots may have nailed all the above and if this was your first go, and the begining of your learning curve - your laughing :lol:
Craig
JordanP

Postby JordanP on Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:00 pm

xerubus wrote:thanks Killa... much appreciated...

the problem i have is where do you put your foot down as a photographer? i.e. some of the shots they have chosen to print (which i have not put on the gallery) i don't like at all... do you say no, as it's your name associated with the shots... or do you take their money and keep your thoughts to yourself?

cheers

I make sure I get rid of all the shots I don't want them to ever print - they don't see them. If I have included it for them to choose from I have decided that I could put my name to it.

I find further to that you can guide clients, particularly if there is a stunning shot they just keep moving over. Your own enthusiasm about the shot and explaining its qualities helps. I never steer them away by faulting my own shot - at best in these situations (if you already know) or you can ask them what they are using it for, you could say that it doesn't suite that purpose as well as shot X or Y etc. In the end it is their choice but there is no reason it can't be an informed one :)

The key is that you only present work that you could put your name to in the first place.

Cheers,

Ps. not to hijack here but how did your trip to Laminton NP go?
Craig
JordanP

Postby xerubus on Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:01 pm

Thankyou very much Jordan.... I appreciate the time you have taken to critique the shots....

JordanP wrote:That being said there are a great number of books that could help if you want to improve them. The classic "How to Win Friends and Influence People" - Dale Carnegie would be one that has helped me.

much appreciated... i'll have a look at the local library..

JordanP wrote:First shot a great one. wouldn't fault it. The clients wanted fun and it is a great capture. Only danger here is if the clients didn't want to be that risky especially around rocks and water.

I was actually thinking at the time whether it would be my problem insurance wise if something was to happen... (?)

JordanP wrote:Second was the series, another nice idea. Shooting protrait with people is gold as you can fill the frame better with the obvious subject. Only thing I could fault is with the composition - too much dead space up high. A tighter shot with her head just below the top of the frame would give a more pleasing result IMHO.

agreed. i would crop the majority of shots, however the couple didn't like the crops... next time, as someone else has suggested, i'm just going to crop in tighter whilst taking the shot so that I get the result that I want and they don't know any better.

JordanP wrote:Third shot - very sweet. Again a little too much clearence above the couples heads for my liking. The angle you have used is very creative and has worked well. Other more conservative angles may have worked just as well or even better in terms of saleability. Your shot was risky but you pulled it off.

It was actaully up a tree... insurance issues were hovering around again...

JordanP wrote:Last shot - priceless! Only thing that could have made the shot better would have been if her eyes were open - but thats really nit picky. Great fun shot.

aha.... I have an exact shot with her eyes open :)

once again... i appreciate everyone's feedback...

cheers
xerubus

Postby xerubus on Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:09 pm

JordanP wrote:Ps. not to hijack here but how did your trip to Laminton NP go?

I've replied in the lamington thread :)
xerubus

Postby Matt. K on Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:13 pm

JordanP
Excellent advice! I never show my proofs and if I don't like an image then the clients don't get it...ever. Nothing goes out with my name on it unless it reaches a standard of quality that I am satisfied with. I compensate for the throw-aways by shooting a lot of imagery and using all of my skills, (every trick in the book), to provide a complete coverage.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques