Irises

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Irises

Postby zafra52 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:21 am

zafra52

Re: Irises

Postby Matt. K on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi Zaf!
I'm going to start off by saying the colours are spot on, as is the exposure....it's the composition that worries me? Light colors tend to attract the eye first and demand attention. In your image the large, featureless white space on the right competes for attention with your subject...the iris. It seems as if the white space is trying to push your flowers out of the image space. Not something I've seen illustrated so well before. I'm not sure why you didn't center the iris and get closer so that it smacked us in the eye?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby ozimax on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:32 pm

Nice colours Zaffs.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby zafra52 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Thank for your comments. Matt, the white space was intentional. I wanted a tension between the subject and the white space while keeping the subject in focus and keeping the rule of thirds. I guess it didn't work.
zafra52

Postby Matt. K on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:20 pm

For a CD or magazine cover it would be perfect as the text could be put in the white space.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby zafra52 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Thank you Matt! What a terrific idea! I'll use it as birthday or compliment card.
zafra52

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques