Ball freezing photography

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Ball freezing photography

Postby biggerry on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:53 am

Cold but very enjoyable - I am keen for some feedback on the last image, i took a whole bunch of this tree, but none really seemed to gel with me.

Image(C) 2017 Gerard Blacklock, all rights reserved by Gerard Blacklock, on Flickr

Image(C) 2017 Gerard Blacklock, all rights reserved by Gerard Blacklock, on Flickr

ImageGalactic Gateway by Gerard Blacklock, on Flickr

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: Ball freezing photography

Postby Matt. K on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Gerry
The last 3 images are gallery quality fine art photographic images.Whilst the first 2 of these can stand on their own I feel the third image would have been helped with another element...say a small, Faustian figure in a dark coat and hat, hunched over against the wind and tramping thru the snow. Or something of that nature. However, it is still a very fine image and beautifully crafted.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby zafra52 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Great photography! The first three are superb in composition and colour. I simply love the second last. I agree with Matt about the last one. Because the the trees continue outside the frame, it needs something else to hold attention. This same need is not that evident in the second photo because you have some rocks in the background or the first photo because you have the sun peeping through the branches that commands your attention.
zafra52

Postby Matt. K on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Forgot to mention....in the second image the white spaces have a similar effect as silence in music. The spaces create a peaceful, almost spiritual feeling. Love it that you moved back and allowed the space to enter the frame.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 am

The second and third of these do it for me. As Matt says, the white space in the second, but the other worldliness of the third is just magic.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:50 am

Gerry you have to stop posting these. I have now given up on photography, given my gear away to the old lady next door and taken up knitting as a hobby...:)

Seriously though, these are sensational. Getting frostbite to capture these scenes makes you a legend.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby biggerry on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 pm

Matt. K wrote:Gerry
The last 3 images are gallery quality fine art photographic images.Whilst the first 2 of these can stand on their own I feel the third image would have been helped with another element...say a small, Faustian figure in a dark coat and hat, hunched over against the wind and tramping thru the snow. Or something of that nature. However, it is still a very fine image and beautifully crafted.

Thanks Matt, your right, another element is needed to make it work, i'll have ot go back and see what other images I have of this and revisit the processing.

zafra52 wrote:Great photography! The first three are superb in composition and colour. I simply love the second last. I agree with Matt about the last one. Because the the trees continue outside the frame, it needs something else to hold attention. This same need is not that evident in the second photo because you have some rocks in the background or the first photo because you have the sun peeping through the branches that commands your attention.

Thanks Zafra-man, that disconnect made by the trees running out of the frame is a tricky one, having a figure in that gap between teh trees may well hide that disconnect. Thanks for commenting.

Matt. K wrote:Forgot to mention....in the second image the white spaces have a similar effect as silence in music. The spaces create a peaceful, almost spiritual feeling. Love it that you moved back and allowed the space to enter the frame.

I search for images like that :) I love simplicity and singular elements, I am glad you appreciated the effort in that composition since I did put considerable time into composing that one in the snowing cold :)

gstark wrote:The second and third of these do it for me. As Matt says, the white space in the second, but the other worldliness of the third is just magic.

Thanks Starkman :)

ozimax wrote:Gerry you have to stop posting these. I have now given up on photography, given my gear away to the old lady next door and taken up knitting as a hobby...:)

Seriously though, these are sensational. Getting frostbite to capture these scenes makes you a legend.

Ozi, if you were there you would have captured equally or better images, to be honest this kind of photography is not that hard since the scenes are so beautiful. The hard bit is just getting things to align and getting to the locations.
I reckon you should keep your photography AND take up knitting :) that would give you something to do whilst waiting for the astro shots in the middle of the night :)
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:58 am

biggerry

Postby Matt. K on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Yes! But didn't expect you to go all the way back up the mountain with a model just to prove a point. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby biggerry on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:47 pm

Matt. K wrote:Yes! But didn't expect you to go all the way back up the mountain with a model just to prove a point. :shock: :shock: :shock:

its amazing what you can do in PS ;)
biggerry

Postby zafra52 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Code: Select all
Thanks Zafra-man, that disconnect made by the trees running out of the frame is a tricky one, having a figure in that gap between teh trees may well hide that disconnect. Thanks for commenting.

In my eyes, that added figure changed the composition dramatically. He is now the main subject and as you said it hides the disconnect, but is not what you originally intended. I also agree with your other comments.
zafra52

Postby bigsarg7 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:30 pm

That 3rd pic is truly great. Must have been quite cold when taking that one!! it was clearly worth it, definitely a photograph to be framed and mounted on the wall in a prime location! well done!
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby sevencolours on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:11 am

Gerry

I am constantly astounded at the beauty you find around you and your ability to capture it

the last image, it is an empty, lonely image. so maybe not a person, but a line of footsteps leading from the very front of the image through the gap in the trees, fading into the distance.

Philip
sevencolours

Postby biggerry on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 am

bigsarg7 wrote:That 3rd pic is truly great. Must have been quite cold when taking that one!! it was clearly worth it, definitely a photograph to be framed and mounted on the wall in a prime location! well done!

yeah it was around -3 or so, but to be honest I was pretty toastie, if your moving around a fair bit its easy to stay warm, this with the right clothes makes it enjoyable - the big thing is to make sure you have warm feet and hands.. nothing worse than cold toes :)
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:11 am

sevencolours wrote:Gerry

I am constantly astounded at the beauty you find around you and your ability to capture it

the last image, it is an empty, lonely image. so maybe not a person, but a line of footsteps leading from the very front of the image through the gap in the trees, fading into the distance.

Philip

thanks mate, easy to take pictures of beautiful things :)

I hear what your saying with the footprints.. I did try it, but trying to get the footsteps to stand out is hard... so here is another variation which I am liking at the moment...

biggerry

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm

I think with the last one, it just needs cropping in from the right a little. The trees at the right middle ground with the snow on their trunks are fine but I think it's just the ones to the right of them at far right that distract.
Murray Foote

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques