A pinic day for D70Users

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

A pinic day for D70Users

Postby birddog114 on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:29 pm

Hi All,

Do you think a pinic day is good for everyone at the Australia Day or one nearest week-end?

- A day out with your family, bring along your loves ones, BYO.

And a workshop for all the photogs in pano, landscape etc...

Where and when?

Your thoughts?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:40 pm

Sounds like a fantastic idea Birdy, there are numerous places we could go to in Sydney, Centennial Park, Botanic Gardens, Mrs Maq's chair, Dobroyd Head (Tanya Park - in Balgowlah - GREAT views of the Sydney North/South Heads, a massive playing field for kids etc...and if it's windy LOTS of kites to take photos of, I also have an array of stunt kites, I could teach people how to fly them!! Hmm...Dobroyd Head would be a favourite of mine!

I am soon going there this afternoon so I will take some snaps and post on here when I get back, to help intice people :)

website with more info - http://ozultimate.com/cgi-bin/bushwalki ... rce_id=159
Geoff

Postby Mj on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:43 pm

yep... sounds like a really good idea... always wise to look for some outings the non-photag partners can enjoy as well.

Michael.
Mj

Postby sheepie on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:48 pm

If we do this, can I ask we don't hold off until the weekend after Australia Day - we have to go get the sprog that weekend, so won't be able to come.
Either the weekend before, or Aus.Day itself would be great :)

(although I've still got to convince the wife that there are 'normal' people that come along to these events!)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Geoff on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:48 pm

ok..leaving now to take pics (I might even try a panoramic!!)...watch this space for images to entice :)

Here's a list of things the non photographers can do:

kite flying
frisbee throwing
ball games (soccer etc)
exploring the natural environment including aboriginal rock carvings
sitting back, enjoying the uninterrupted GORGEOUS views sipping on whatever you wish :)...oooh I'm excited!!
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:50 pm

We can integrated into BBQ/ pinic as well,
I thought we might have to get the wifes/ girlfriends/ fiancees know what we are doing like yesterday we were chasing two groups of wedding and did lot of works, learing.
So next time if we say to them we're going to the workshop, there will be no question asked :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:54 pm

for non-photogs,
I'll bring lens cloths and Formula MC for them to help us to clean the lens with our finger prints :lol: :lol:
Oh no! we will think what fun that we'll giving, provide to them while we learning and taking photo>
Or perhaps a short trip to outer of Sydney, beach, mountain, lake etc...
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:01 pm

From my selfish perspective the only thing I ask is that we DON'T choose the Monday of the long weekend as the traffic between Newcastle & Sydney on long weekends is horrendous.

Otherwise sounds like a great idea.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Dobroyd Head/Tanya Park

Postby Geoff on Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:10 pm

ok guys,
some more reasons why this could be a great venue, dog friendly, specified bike track right around the oval (total lenght about 1km + speed bumps to prevent cars speeding etc), public toilets, water etc etc, people flying remote controlled glyders off the cliff (which is fenced) - great to watch (or photograph!)....I think this is a GREAT spot and once over the spit bridge, it'd take less than 10 mins to get there... Here are some snaps I just got back from taking....

This is the view from the highest point of the park, looking down onto the playing field and part of the wide and beautiful water views.

One of the views from a different spot from the park, down onto Manly where the ferries pull in.

North Head

Some random D70 user who also likes to fly kites (me) :)

South head and looking down the harbour, incorporating Vaucluse, also notice the bike track (which the dog has utilised haha) :)

Opinions on this as a venue much appreciated, I know it's a bit of a hike for some, but worthy especially for loved ones of D70 owners and kids etc..GREAT spot in my opion /end sales pitch.
Geoff

Postby Onyx on Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:33 pm

I'm sold. So Australia Day weekend, at... what's the place called? Dobroyd Head/Tanya Park?!
Onyx

Postby ru32day on Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:57 pm

Can we put in a second vote for the long weekend, preferably not the Sunday.

The suggested venue looks great, but we're sure that wherever you choose will be terrific (just so long as we can find it!)
ru32day

Postby birddog114 on Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:59 pm

Come On Sydney + surrounding NSW Countries Members!

We geta go!!!!! join us that pinic day!!!!!

If everyone's happy with the location, we may send an advance recon team there to find a suitable spot!!!!

P.S: we may bring guitars and the the D70 users play guitar :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:30 pm

Great idea guys and I would have been there if I wasn't in QLD :(

Oh well, can't complain since I will be lounging around a pool for 5 days (well actually with a 2 year old learning to swim I don't know how much lounging I will be doing :!: )

But have fun on the BBQ and maybe we can organise something similar for Easter :?:

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Onyx on Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:55 pm

W00DY wrote:But have fun on the BBQ and maybe we can organise something similar for Easter :?:

BBQ now?! Are we implementing a means to cook for this meet? ;)
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:24 am

Onyx wrote:
W00DY wrote:But have fun on the BBQ and maybe we can organise something similar for Easter :?:

BBQ now?! Are we implementing a means to cook for this meet? ;)

Yes, I did order from Woody a hold bunch of seafood, steaks and poultry last week, am waiting for delivery :lol: ready for that BBQ, he fulfill his commitments than he can off to QLD, no doubt :shock:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:45 am

I think it's a great idea, but for the Oz Day weekend, I would be avoiding going anywhere near the harbour, given the plethora of harbour based activities that occur over that weekend.

Traffic will be hell, parking even worse, as the great unwashed masses try to get views of stuff like the ferry race, the tall ships, and so on.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:55 am

gstark wrote:I think it's a great idea, but for the Oz Day weekend, I would be avoiding going anywhere near the harbour, given the plethora of harbour based activities that occur over that weekend.

Traffic will be hell, parking even worse, as the great unwashed masses try to get views of stuff like the ferry race, the tall ships, and so on.

I see where u are coming from Gary, however there is quite a lot of parking up there, even on busy days and usually it's people just coming up, parking for 10-15mins then moving on. I don't think the traffic will be too bad, as for the masses trying to get views of the ferry race..hmm..maybe...anyone know how to get witches hats? I can get up there early and reserve parking and space for us? :)

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:40 am

Yeah! I can see the traffic blockade to some areas, lot of people around with other activities and every suburbs has their activities on Australia Day.
So we may move this to a week-end, say a Sunday trip to outer Sydney or somewhere else, we can enjoy and do not have problems with parking, traffic, crowd with facilities of BBQ + photography activities.

Or we may having lunch in the restaurant, after the workshop in the morning and come back in the afternoon with another workshop.

I would like to gather our members + their families to join all our activities of the day. Easter is another few months away and again, many members will take their holiday and off to somewhere.

Or we may put monies into the BBQ day, and we cater for the whole group, members just bring along their drinks and their forks, knives and plates.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby HappyFotographer on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:48 am

OK, colour me blonde, but I am not sure which weekend you guys are talking about.

Australia Day weekend........isn't Australia Day on a Wednesday this year, and we have that day off?

Sorry to be so thick about this.

If you are talking about the weekend of the 29/30th, then I will have to give it a miss, have a wedding in the Hunter Valley to attend so that will be a whole weekend deal for me.

Hoping to be unconfused soon.

Cheers
Deb
HappyFotographer

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:44 am

Hi Deb,

Good point, but since when do we not tack another day or three onto a weekend to take advantage of a long weekend for a public holiday? Why did we just have public holidays on Dec 27/28 and Jan 3, for instance?

But otherwise your question is a good one, and perfectly valid; I don't know the answer.

If indeed we (the public) are not going to take another long weekend for OzDay, the I stand corrected, and we could probably make this the weekend of Jan 22/23.

But I would ask when does school start, and what days will be the first week of school? That will surely provide a part of the answer to your questions.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:19 am

Like many I assumed we'd get a Monday off for Australia Day, but just checked and it's definitely the Wednesday. For the official skinny from the govt heres the link http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au/holidays/

Now we just need to make sure what we mean when we refer to the Australia Day weekend since there isn't one and from where I sit Wednesday 26th sits dab smack in the middle of TWO weekends!
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby brembo on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:23 am

I believe there's not a long weekend for Australia day, due to it falling on a weekday. Only reason we got extra public holidays for Christmas/Boxing Day and New Years, was both fell on a weekend, which pretty much negates any day off for the usual office workers.
brembo

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:31 am

The first day school resumes is Friday 28 January, but I don't know what they are going to do or teach that day :?:
I heard someone told me Monday 31st is Public Holiday and other told me not, Australia day is Wednesday 26th Jan. So :?
Last edited by birddog114 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:45 am

Ok ...

Thanx for links, y'all. That clarifies it all perfectly.

Maybe.

First off - school restarts on Friday Jan 28. Go figure that one out!

My guess is that would be a pupil-free day, with students not actually turning up until the following week. Don't quote me on it however.

Oz Day is indeed going to be celebrated on Wednesday Jan 26. About bloody time too!

That means that either of the weekends around Oz Day would probably be ok for this; my personal feeling would be to lean towards the prior Saturday, Jan 22, as we'll still be less likely (I think) to bump into any holiday traffic such as people returning from the north/south/central coasts (or whereever).

That's my PP0.02.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:59 am

gstark wrote:Ok ...

Maybe.

My guess is that would be a pupil-free day, with students not actually turning up until the following week. Don't quote me on it however.

Oz Day is indeed going to be celebrated on Wednesday Jan 26. About bloody time too!

That means that either of the weekends around Oz Day would probably be ok for this; my personal feeling would be to lean towards the prior Saturday, Jan 22, as we'll still be less likely (I think) to bump into any holiday traffic such as people returning from the north/south/central coasts (or whereever).

That's my PP0.02.

Sat Jan 22? Nooo..I'm doing my second paid wedding gig!! OF course I understand if it has to be it has to be..but I'd hate to miss out! :)

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby HappyFotographer on Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:38 am

gstark wrote:First off - school restarts on Friday Jan 28. Go figure that one out!

The Friday is a pupil free day with the little *cough* darlings *splutter* returning to school on the Monday (marked with bright colours on my calendar).

The 22nd works for me, not sure if I can bring the whole family......will play it by ear.

Cheers
Deb
HappyFotographer

Postby W00DY on Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:05 pm

Geoff wrote:
gstark wrote:Ok ...

Maybe.

That's my PP0.02.

Sat Jan 22? Nooo..I'm doing my second paid wedding gig!! OF course I understand if it has to be it has to be..but I'd hate to miss out! :)

Geoff.

Yeeeessssss.... as I am away the following weekend :)

No, just make a date and stick to it, if people can make it hten great if not, well there is always next year :)

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:08 pm

Yeeeessssss.... as I am away the following weekend

No, just make a date and stick to it, if people can make it hten great if not, well there is always next year

W00DY

Woody,
We have to make it happened, where's my order for the BBQ?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 pm

[quote="W00DYNo, just make a date and stick to it, if people can make it hten great if not, well there is always next year [/quote]

Exactly, and done!

See this thread for the actual details, although Geoff's live action pix remain here.

I'll close this thread now ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Sydney