Another Poon and DSLR (Gary) plug

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby dodge on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:19 am

Woo Hoo .....Package has arrived on my desk...All packaged up safely... Thanks Poon And Thanks Gary for all your help

cheers Joe
Canon 40D/350d 18-55kit lens...90-300efs lens...17-35 2.8L..70-200 2.8 IS in my bag and now a 580ex2 +50mm1.8
dodge

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:54 am

Joe,

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby photograham on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:05 pm

Thank you Gary, you have done it again, along with Poon & UPS. Money would have been received by Poon on Thursday, he booked pickup on friday for monday, picked up monday in hong komg. UPS has just delivered at 6pm wednesday.
Great Work. A new lens for walk arounds and an extra SB 800.

Now, when will NAS strike again.

Thank you
photograham

Postby Underload on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:12 pm

Just a quick question for you guys. Generally speaking, how does Poon's method of postage tie in to how we receive the package? That is, will the postie just put it in the letterbox (lens) or is it couriered/yellow slip in the letterbox?

No real concern, just curious so I know what to look out for :)
D200 + stuff
Underload

Postby ATJ on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:19 pm

Mine was delivered by the Australia Post parcel contractor. I had to sign for it.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:27 pm

Underload wrote:Just a quick question for you guys. Generally speaking, how does Poon's method of postage tie in to how we receive the package? That is, will the postie just put it in the letterbox (lens) or is it couriered/yellow slip in the letterbox?

No real concern, just curious so I know what to look out for :)

It varies, and while I can sometimes predict how it may arrive, the only way you'll know is when (if - usually) you get your tracking number.

Smaller stuff, as a general guide, comes by mail, and usually registered.

Usually.

Bigger/high value stuff - bodies, for instance - typically UPS or FedUp. Their tracking systems let you see what's happening fairly well.

Oz Post's tracking system is one in name only, and the one thing that it fails to permit you to do is to track the progress of your packages. Why am i unsurprised at that outcome?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:58 pm

gstark wrote:Oz Post's tracking system is one in name only, and the one thing that it fails to permit you to do is to track the progress of your packages. Why am i unsurprised at that outcome?

My experience with it has been very good. While the number of packages has been on the low side (10-15), I have only had one occasion when the tracking information was not accurate or helpful - it told me the package was still with customs but I actually had it.
ATJ

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:47 pm

gstark wrote:Oz Post's tracking system is one in name only, and the one thing that it fails to permit you to do is to track the progress of your packages. Why am i unsurprised at that outcome?

A bit unfair, Gary. :D

I have found that, if you wait 72 hours, the tracking system is spot-on! :lol:
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby photograham on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:07 pm

My parcel arrived by UPS delivery, at 6pm last night. I was able to track the progress of the parcel via the UPS website from Hong Kong to Melbourne, including the time the delivery driver left the Ascot Vale depot.
photograham

Postby Underload on Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:25 pm

Underload wrote:Just a quick question for you guys. Generally speaking, how does Poon's method of postage tie in to how we receive the package? That is, will the postie just put it in the letterbox (lens) or is it couriered/yellow slip in the letterbox?

I can answer my own question now :)

Thanks to Gary and Poon for their fast and efficient work! That bit worked really well (my first real order).

The Sigma 10-20 will be in my hands tomorrow, but it's been a pretty frustrating path (none of which is through the fault of Poon or Gary obviously)...UPS > Courier company A > Courier company B > me.

Still can't wait to get it though :)
D200 + stuff
Underload

Postby Vodka on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 pm

Sorry to drag out an old thread.

I'd like to publicly thank Gary and Poon for their extremely efficient service. Ordered my lens last Friday, it was in my hands yesterday (Thursday). UPS tracking meant I knew the package was delivered before my work's courier room had time to process it!

I'm sure the other members here also appreciate this service you two provide.

Ben
D3 | D300
Vodka

Re: Another Poon and DSLR (Gary) plug

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:20 pm

I had a painfully excellent experience with Poon/Gary. Painful due to the Postal [dis]Service. Ordered a soft-box in late November as a Christmas present from Alex to Alicia :D . It hadn't arrived by about the 19th December or so. Because of the size, the item was sent airmail rather than registered (which I completely understand), hence no tracking number.

Aus Post lost the package and would find it difficult to care less. More messages to Gary and, through fantastic assistance from Gary & Poon, and at additional cost to Poon, I am now the proud owner, in a physical sense, of the soft-box.

Couldn't ask for more (well, perhaps a free D3 thrown in)! A supplier who will help achieve a customer's expectation, even if it means incurring additional cost and/or effort is unfortunately rare, but also a joy to deal with.

Thanks to those involved :D :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Glen on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Patrick, glad Gary and Poon's service was excellent for you too, I had similar concerns with my D300 prior to Christmas and my impending departure, both were excellent in ensuring a happy customer, without any help from the courier companies.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby mickey on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:10 pm

Got my sb800 delivered all good...coincided with stuff received from Servaas so I will be playing around with some toys tonight!

Great stuff poon and co :)
mickey

Postby whitey on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Just got my SB600, Tamron 90mm, Spare battery and remote shutter release. :cheers:

Will test them out tonight but will be the weekend before I get a good chance to try them out
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Ordered a Phottix TR-80 N1 and a Cleon C6 (for my partner) on the 18/9/08, got an email telling me that it had shipped on the 19/9/08 and they were at home waiting for me when yesterday. So in effect 3 business days!!

Thanks Poon and Gary!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:56 pm

aim54x wrote:Ordered a Phottix TR-80 N1 and a Cleon C6 (for my partner) on the 18/9/08, got an email telling me that it had shipped on the 19/9/08 and they were at home waiting for me when yesterday. So in effect 3 business days!!

Thanks Poon and Gary!

I just wish that Oz Post were as efficient with all of the deliveries that are consigned through them.

Thanx for the positive feedback.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:04 pm

gstark wrote:
aim54x wrote:Ordered a Phottix TR-80 N1 and a Cleon C6 (for my partner) on the 18/9/08, got an email telling me that it had shipped on the 19/9/08 and they were at home waiting for me when yesterday. So in effect 3 business days!!

Thanks Poon and Gary!

I just wish that Oz Post were as efficient with all of the deliveries that are consigned through them.

Thanx for the positive feedback.

I know what you mean Gary. I definately will keep buying from Poon. I may be tempted to ignore the tax benefits of buying locally if the price is right with Poon, but I do try to get my bigger pieces locally so i can use them as tax offsets.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:15 pm

aim54x wrote:I do try to get my bigger pieces locally so i can use them as tax offsets.

And that is a perfectly valid reason to buy locally, too. A number of members take that decision.

When purchasing, you always need to look at the complete transaction: price is just one part of it.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby brentsky on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:48 pm

I purchased a phottix MB-D200 and upon (fast) delivery, one of the batteries was faulty. The service staff were super friendly and efficient - have resent a supplementary battery no questions asked.

I have found that their prices are competitive, although not the absolute cheapest on the grey market. However the service gives them an edge over others :)
brentsky

Previous

Return to Trader Opinions