d-d-Photographics

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

d-d-Photographics

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:05 pm

Now this is a surprise - the Nikon D2Xs body for $4,679 with tax invoice for those that have a business and want to reclaim GST - cheaper than HK 8)

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/index.htm
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Geoff on Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:09 pm

Nice find Chris! :up:
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby broadbean on Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:57 pm

Went to their North Sydney office on the weekend to pick up a Nikon SB-400 and it was rather painless.

I almost bought my D40x from them, but digitalrev had a better offer with the kit and extended warranty.

Absolutely no problems with d-d-photographics (Discount Digital) however, and highly recommend them.
broadbean

Postby MCWB on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:10 pm

Gotta love the AU$ being strong agains the US$! :)
MCWB

Postby Kyle on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:58 pm

Just picked up a 24-70 and a couple of 580ex's from them tonight

Great prices but theyre not very polite

Maybe that's because I was there 15 mins before they close :P
Kyle

Postby broadbean on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:26 pm

Kyle wrote:Great prices but theyre not very polite

Yeah, funny set-up, isn't it? Like a cottage industry working out of a 70's residential apartment but with hundreds of thousand dollars worth of camera kit. :)

Very matter of fact, but in a way it's no different to visiting a distributor's warehouse rather than a storefront. Actually, kinda like Ikea!
broadbean

Postby Kyle on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:32 pm

Not even that dude :)

I don't think i'll shop with them again..
Kyle

Postby losfp on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 pm

Ah, I don't think they're that bad. Agree to an extent that they are usually a bit standoffish, but that's what it's like dealing with them. I normally know what I want, and get in and out quickly - no need for niceties...
losfp

Postby glennles on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:51 pm

I am thinking about shopping with them so thanks for the opinions. I agree with losfp that I don't think I would mind if they are a bit stand offish. I wouldn't be going to their shop though. Mail order is always a bit detached.
glennles

Postby broadbean on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:55 am

I've had e-mail responses from them. Funny thing is the last time they responded, two separate ones came back to the same question about stock - the first one friendly and helpful, the other a straight yes/no answer with nothing extra.
broadbean

Postby robert on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:05 am

I've only used them once (wish it was more!!) they were pretty good. They even helped out with a "soft" tokina 12-24, swapped it no probs for an EF 10-22, even though it was a tad longer than their 7 day exchange.

At the end of the day they offer HK prices at a pick up store, thats all I want. You need to know what you want cos they are not big on advice.

Robert
robert

Postby michael_ on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:12 am

broadbean wrote:I've had e-mail responses from them. Funny thing is the last time they responded, two separate ones came back to the same question about stock - the first one friendly and helpful, the other a straight yes/no answer with nothing extra.

depends who replies really, there are three people 1 isnt rude the other 2 are :)
michael_

Postby broadbean on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:52 am

Maybe they're not rude, just shy? :lol:

I shop with them because of a mixture of good prices, local, Australian tax invoices and seems to carry enough gear to be new and genuine.

Not sure what they do with items returned to them however.

More likely to buy my Nikon 18-200mm VR from HK Supplies however.
broadbean

Postby jamesw on Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:08 pm

i have bought a sb600 from there, and it broke. i sent an email which got no reply (it was over the holiday period) and then sent another one to them after the break. i got a phone call from one of the guys there within 15 minutes, he was nice enough and just asked me to send it back with a description of the problem.

within 4 days i had a new sb600 in my hands.

i have no problems recommending them to others.
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby drifter on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:06 pm

I found one guy there to be a bit abrupt but he lightened up after we sat down to pay and i mentioned as he was running my credit card through that i'd bought a few things off them before online.Like a light going on he changed tune .Was probably more to do with then knowing he already had all my details and didn't need to re enter any info.I think they must also tire of the repetitious questions about how weird there setup is in the unit .
I have bought a few things through them now and the online store and you can't beat the service.
Tony

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
drifter

Postby broadbean on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:13 am

They offer pick up for free, but they probably preferred they didn't have to deal with the public. Maybe not all visitors are as understanding. I didn't make any remarks to them, but after being let in, I was a bit confused where I was supposed to stand or to wait. I also wondered how they dealt with large shipments and how they secured the place.

None of that affects whether I'd deal with them or not. They are rather straightforward to deal with and as long as they have stock and the price is right, no problems for me. It's great they open Saturdays too, which is mighty convenient for me.
broadbean

Postby JeffGlue on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 am

For anyone who's interested, I was quoted 'approx $2740' on a D300 body from d-d-photo the other day. Just a tad higher than the US price :wink:
JeffGlue

Postby Jonesy on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:55 am

Brought a couple things from them (all via email ordering and then posted) with no problems.

All items arrived safely and in good time
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby bigsue19 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:10 pm

Bought a few things from them as well, and though I'm no fan of their customer service, this doesn't stop me from buying from them again. Besides, the service I've received from Ted's or Paxton's have not been any better....so I might as well save on the purchase price.
bigsue19

Postby devilla101 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:42 pm

If I need something quick and need to use my CC, I go to them. Customer service is fine. No complaints whatsoever.
devilla101

Postby photoaddict55 on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:50 am

Yep I have used them several times and been very happy. But one thing that did happen - I took a friend there and she bought a Canon 30D.

When we got home and stated playing we noticed that there was already a card in the camera with photos on it. They gave us a new camera in replacement.

So one should always be careful.
photoaddict55

Postby Underload on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:32 am

Since this thread has been bumped, I just thought I'd add that the DD price is $2699 on the D300.
D200 + stuff
Underload

Postby cordy on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:50 am

I recently picked up a Sigma 70-200 2.8 from them. Took the lens away without testing it (stupid of me, I know) and it wouldn't focus when I did test it. Called them up, they said bring it back, no worries.

Swapped it over for a 70-200 F4 IS for a little more cash as they had no more Sigma stock, everything went smoothly.

One thing I did notice.. They usually have two guys on the front counter, one of them seems to continually serve people whilst the other one disapeers after serving one person, then comes back sometime later.

I can understand after waiting so long to get served why they ask you to order before showing up, this guy infront of me took ages because he didn't know what he wanted.

More than happy to deal with them if the price is right.

Chris
cordy

Postby dviv on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Bought a 580EX flash from them several months ago and it's been playing up lately so I dropped it in for repair today - We'll see what happens...

The new shop front looks nice :D
dviv

Postby Viz on Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:57 pm

I just bought a canon 24-70 off them this weekend. I asked them and they were happy to exchange when I grilled them about recieving a hypothetical dud. This copy paranoia reason was sadly the reason for not ordering here or from HKS.

I went in two times and in each there was some stickler for price that didn't actually know what they wanted at one terminal and a small army, wads of cash in hand, progressing though the other. I informed them of the setup at Umart computers in Enfield - indecisive customers have to place an online order from computer terminals in the sales area. Though, there is not too much space there. That said, the new premises is nice, last time I accompanied a friend picking up some gear and listened to a washing machine the whole time.
Dan The Batch Automator
Viz

Re:

Postby dviv on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:10 pm

dviv wrote:Bought a 580EX flash from them several months ago and it's been playing up lately so I dropped it in for repair today - We'll see what happens...

Well, the flash has now been in since the 19th of Dec. They phoned the repairer today (after I sent 4 emails and then made a phone call) and the repairers claim that there is a major backlog due to the christmas break.

Another 2 - 4 weeks *sigh*

At least the girl I spoke to on friday who promised she would call me today, did.
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Re: d-d-Photographics

Postby chewlinyip on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:08 am

I recently purchased a couple of things from them with no problems.
tokina 12 - 24 for canon
canon 580 EXII

In terms of service i've had a mixed bag as well. I live in Melbourne and initially called up regarding availability of a product - i was put on hold for 10 - 15 minutes, with someone then hanging the phone up on me. I immediatly called back and had very good service. It seems like a good place to shop because while the products are imported at least there is an Australian contact. Its also nice to claim GST on trips!
chewlinyip

Postby surenj on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:41 am

Got a 430EX from them. no problems! Good price at the time..
surenj

Re: Re:

Postby dviv on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:58 am

dviv wrote:
dviv wrote:Bought a 580EX flash from them several months ago and it's been playing up lately so I dropped it in for repair today - We'll see what happens...

Well, the flash has now been in since the 19th of Dec. They phoned the repairer today (after I sent 4 emails and then made a phone call) and the repairers claim that there is a major backlog due to the christmas break.

Another 2 - 4 weeks *sigh*

At least the girl I spoke to on friday who promised she would call me today, did.

Well after another couple of emails they agreed to replace it - picked up a 580EX II which looks new yesterday.

The upgrade was welcome and helped me deal with not having the flash for over two months :mrgreen: :up:
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:26 am

Glad you got a new one and this resolved, 2 months is a long time for service, it is as if most photography vendors assume we dont really need our gear.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Gorg on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:42 pm

DDP have been great!
I've bought most of my photographics gear from them, also my friend recently purchased his 70-200 f/4 IS from DDP as well.
Great service. Fast delivery times as well!

One thing I think a lot of people don't understand is that DDP is an online store, pickup is a facility provided for the customers. However, each time I've been in there some customers are seeking a retail store experience.
This always delays my purchase because they are asking so many questions and have not made up their minds what they want to purchase.

Other than that, highly recommended!
Gorg

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Gorg, when you say they dont provide a retail experience, are you saying the reason they were slow on Dviv's repair is due to the fact they are an online store? PS Welcome to the forum, could you put a meaningful location in your profile as required under our FAQ? Thanks
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Return to Trader Opinions