B&H & UPS

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Re: B&H & UPS

Postby ATJ on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:07 am

jamesw wrote:Delivery time is quoted as 3-5 days

From what I'm reading, you ordered Sunday and received on Friday, smack bang on the 3-5 day deadline.

:violin:

If you had actually read all my comments you will see that I said:
ATJ wrote:You are right that getting the parcel on Friday is not too bad.

My complaints were more about the fact that the parcel sat doing nothing for 24 hours and that they don't update the tracking information so I know where the parcel may be - in fact from my previous experience they don't actually know where the parcel is which is not very reassuring.

Just maintaining service levels is fine but if that's all you care about you won't have many happy customers.

Oh, and my previous UPS shipment was "Worldwide Express" which is 2-3 business days and it was also ordered on Sunday and arrive last thing Friday afternoon. They missed that service level.
ATJ

Postby Grev on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:58 am

I hope the lightstands, swivels and other misc stuff I ordered from Adorama would be better...
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby Grev on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 am

I have had my first package from Adorama which came in 4 working days, and the next package should arrive today but delayed due to the holiday period. :cry:
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby who on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:27 am

I just received an order from B&H via UPS.

1 week exactly from NY to regional Tasmania - came in via AAE.

Order total inc. postage was about $AUD1050 - no worries.

I also did the redirect via webform that was posted up recently elsewhere on the forum.

A big tick - very well packaged and no problems.
Old D200+extras
who

Postby Dprime on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:53 pm

I just got stung by UPS, not very happy about it either.

Nikon 14-24 from BH, just over $1900AU. Ordered it on the Tuesday arvo, and received a phone call saying you must pay us $250.00 for us to deliver your package... it arrived Friday morning. Their postage times are always excellent, but I'm not very impressed with their fee's this time.

GST PAID TO CUSTOMS: $187.84
CUSTOMS ENTRY FEE: $54.20 (what a joke)
"SECURITY FEE": $9.95

All up cost me around 2100-2200, and I could of got it from DD for $2009. I'll be adding a few extra hundred dollars to my prices from BH from now on and looking else where to see if I can get it cheaper. :x
http://www.BrettHemmings.com

D3 | D3S | A paperweight D2XS | D70s | 14-24 F2.8 | 24-70 F2.8 | 70-200VR F2.8 | 200-400 F4 | 50mm F1.4 | 10.5mm F2.8 | SB800 | SB600's | Elinchrom Lighting & Skyports | P7000
Dprime

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:19 pm

Dprime wrote:All up cost me around 2100-2200, and I could of got it from DD for $2009. I'll be adding a few extra hundred dollars to my prices from BH from now on and looking else where to see if I can get it cheaper. :x

Which is exactly what we always advise people to do, regardless of from where they purchase.

What has happened here is an expected outcome given the amount you have spent, and it has been discussed here frequently.

The GST seems to be reasonable considering that you are expected to pay this on all imports greater than PP1K. As noted above, we actively encourage everyone who orders through our facilities to make provision for this. Once you involve the payment of GST, UPS charges you for their handling costs in this matter. Whether that's a reasonable charge or not is open to debate, (I personally don't think it is) but it should be noted that I don't believe that it's gone up in at least three years, and it's a part of the cost of doing business this way.

The security fee? I have no idea of what that might be, but it's less than a half percent of your total charges here ...

Now, you say that the cost from DD was PP2K, but your initial cost from B&H was just over PP1900. In all honesty, this not a major saving, and given the certainly that you were going to be charged GST, I think I would have been using DD, but might I also suggest that you're making the wrong comparison here?

In every case, you need to assess the risks of catching a GST charge (100% when purchasing goods valued at > PP1000 from the USA) as against the price when purchasing locally sourced items. In this case, you therefore need to look at what the cost of a local, non-grey item would be, and that is where you need assess your savings.

Bottom line would be that you probably saved PP100 less than you might otherwise have saved, but you're probably still PP300 or so better off than had you purchased local stock.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Chaase on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:23 pm

This is the main reason I purchase from Photobuff (Note I have no link with them) just find them comparable to import prices even HK Supplies etc (handy coz they are near home too). But don't have the worry of being hit with import dutey/GST costs etc.

I learn t the hard way a few years ago when I brought a trumpet in from USA.
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Postby ATJ on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Dprime wrote:CUSTOMS ENTRY FEE: $54.20 (what a joke)

This is actually a fee that Australian Customs force UPS (and other importers) to pay to submit the paperwork for the GST calculation, etc. If you were to have the goods sent by Post, you'd have to fill out the forms and pay this fee (maybe a tad less) to Customs.
ATJ

Postby who on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:55 pm

And that is why I'll be heading back to B&H soon for more bits.

In the first recent RRS group buy post by Moz in For Sale Forum -- I did some research and found the rules & the application by the ATO (re. GST) on imports.

In short - they only levy GST if the AUD value excluding shipping is >$1,000.

But if they do - its all in - and at "their" exchange rate. And they can substitute the declared value for whatever they deem is market if they so desire (ie if a "gift" sent is undervalued).

And also - For <$2300 you could have had Aus stock from ECS on the 14-24 -> I'm a lookin but haven't the moolah after buying Gitzo/RRS.....
Old D200+extras
who

Previous

Return to Trader Opinions