D2H Scam on Ebay

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

D2H Scam on Ebay

Postby Andyt on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:59 am

:oops: If its to good to be true, then its probably not :oops:

Shame I don't take my own advice.

Two weeks ago on ebay I saw a D2H listed for auction, new in box etc, 1 yr USA warranty, item in Au, express post.

Needing a back up body to my D2X, I thought about it and concluded that until the D300 was in ready supply, mid next year?, this would be a good option.

Having won the auction and paid via PayPal, (thank goodness!) the wait began, after a week with no communication and no D2H I exchanged emails with the seller for the next week, I became suspicious and phoned PayPal, they confirmed payment made and advised patience :evil:

Yesterday I received an ebay email advising that this listing was removed because of fraud and if paid by PayPal to lodge a claim.
Claim lodged for $1058AUD and the wait begins.

Having used ebay for a few years now, I thought I was "savy" to these sorts of things, but obviously not. This tale is told as food food for thought for those who like me, think they are to smart to get scammed, if in doubt, use PayPal, you never know when you may be needing to make a claim for monies paid!!

Cheers, Andyt

ps Where did I put those D300 specs again?...... :)
Andyt

Postby MATT on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:53 am

Good advice for us all...

MATT
MATT

Postby Killakoala on Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:09 pm

I hope you get your money back Andy.

If not then here's a website to have a read of.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Andyt on Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Killakoala wrote:I hope you get your money back Andy.

If not then here's a website to have a read of.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Thanks for that Steve, not an encouraging website when you have lodged a claim :D I was aware of not being covered when drawing funds from a CC, when making the payment I opted to draw funds direct from my bank acc, so as to have the advertised $3K protection.

Will post here as to the outcome.
Andyt

Postby ATJ on Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:44 pm

Andy,

I made a claim to PayPal a couple of years ago for the non-delivery of goods. I ended up getting a refund without much trouble. The money had come off my credit card. I ended up losing a bit because it was a US transaction and the exchange rates changed.

In my case I purchased a dive watch online from a place in Florida. I requested and paid for Global Express Post. Two weeks later I had not received the goods (Global Express usually takes less than a week). I got no responses from my emails and even tried calling them at various times during the day (US business hours, US evening) all to no avail. I lodged a claim with PayPal and they also tried to contact the seller. After the specified amount of time they refunded me the money.

The odd thing was that after I got my refund, the seller resurfaced and claimed the goods had been sent, but by snail post. They eventually arrived but there was no receipt/invoice nor a warranty and the charger looked like it had been used (there were leaking batteries in it). They asked me send them money and I said I'd be happy to if I get an official receipt and warranty. They promised to send it but it never arrived. A few weeks later the owner of the company contacted me asking for his money. I explained how poorly I had been treated and that I was waiting for receipt and warranty. I agreed the service had been bad and would make sure the receipt/warranty would be sent. Two years later I still don't have a receipt or a warranty. But I do have a watch that only cost me the GST plus the difference in exchange rates between the purchase and refund.
ATJ

Postby Andyt on Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:15 pm

Thanks for that ATJ,

A Happy Ending! :P

Will see how I go, hope to get refund by Xmass, and then put it aside for a D300 :D
Andyt

Re: D2H Scam on Ebay

Postby marc on Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:48 pm

Andyt wrote: I thought about it and concluded that until the D300 was in ready supply, mid next year?

I think you'll find that supply won't be quite as tight as you believe.
Good luck on your PayPal refund also.

Cheers
Marc
D4|D3S|D700+MB-D10| 14-24 |24-70|70-200 f/2.8 VRII|70-200 f/4 VR|80-400 AF-S|500VR|Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro|TC's 1.4,1.7E & 2.0III|SB 900
marc

Postby Andyt on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:14 pm

Hi! Guys!

Good news! :P the $1058 arrived back into my account today.

No drama's, just the waiting game after completing all the required boxes on the "e-claim form".

For those that are not aware, you are only covered by PayPal's insurance (policy?) when funds for making payment are drawn directly from your bank account. My past practice was to draw from my CC (freqent flyer points :D ) and then reimburse it from the bank acc/. So on this occasion I played safe and drew directly from my bank account, Phew!!

Mmmm, now what, D300 or 80-400VR?, decisions, decisions......... :roll:

Thanks for all your well wishes, I am sure it helped!!
Andyt

Postby devilla101 on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Ahh good stuff, now makes me want to go lens shopping knowing Paypal has my back :roll:
devilla101

Postby Killakoala on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:38 pm

I'm very glad you got your money back. A great relief all round.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Return to Trader Opinions