New D300

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New D300

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Last week I made the decision to buy a D300 through our friends at HK Supplies.

While I was transferring some money into an account from which I could make an EFT, I decided to buy a new 8 Gb SanDisk card from an Australian supplier where it was on special. I don't wat to mention their name, but their initials are Harris Technology. :)

So, I ordered the card on Tuesday 19 February. Card is out of stock at my store, they will order in and notify me - expect 5 to 7 days.

On Thursday 21 February I ordered the D300 via the Bargains page here, and instructed my bank to make the transfer on the same day, so the earliest Poon would have received the money would have been Friday 22 February.

The D300 arrived at 1:30 pm today Monday 25 Feb.

Still waiting for notification about the card. :roll:

Great service from Gary here at DSLRUsers and Poon at HK Supplies - thank you both very much for the prompt attention.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: New D300

Postby seeto.centric on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:33 pm

hehe wow that is quite amazing indeed..

i had to wait over a week for my 2x EL3e batteries to arrive but i blame the ANZ to HSBC delay for the lengthy wait..

Enjoy the D300 :D

-j
seeto.centric

Postby Glen on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Trevor congrats on the new purchase, I am sure you will find it a nice step up from your existing set up.

Julz, even a week is really quite an unbelievable time to get a small low value (which therefore cant afford the most expensive transport options) item to Australia and through Customs. I would be very happy with that.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:43 pm

seeto.centric wrote:hehe wow that is quite amazing indeed..

i had to wait over a week for my 2x EL3e batteries to arrive but i blame the ANZ to HSBC delay for the lengthy wait..

No. That would most likely be Oz Post.

FWIW, Mr UPS is still showing Trevor's package as "In Transit".
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:20 pm

gstark wrote:FWIW, Mr UPS is still showing Trevor's package as "In Transit".

Have I mentioned what I think of UPS?
ATJ

Postby ATJ on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:21 pm

cricketfan wrote:I decided to buy a new 8 Gb SanDisk card from an Australian supplier where it was on special. I don't wat to mention their name, but their initials are Harris Technology. :)

howmuchwasit?
ATJ

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:40 pm

ATJ wrote:
gstark wrote:FWIW, Mr UPS is still showing Trevor's package as "In Transit".

Have I mentioned what I think of UPS?

Probably not as little as what I think of them.

And FWIW, Mr UPS is still showing Trevor's package as "In Transit". :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:22 pm

ATJ wrote:howmuchwasit?

I found it here on Shopbot.

Seemed to be about the same price as from B&H in the States, but if I had ordered it from them, I would have it now. :?
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:19 pm

cricketfan wrote:
ATJ wrote:howmuchwasit?

I found it here on Shopbot.

Seemed to be about the same price as from B&H in the States, but if I had ordered it from them, I would have it now. :?

Yep.

And FWIW, Mr UPS is still showing Trevor's package as "In Transit". :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby BullcreekBob on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:47 pm

cricketfan wrote:On Thursday 21 February I ordered the D300 via the Bargains page here, and instructed my bank to make the transfer on the same day, so the earliest Poon would have received the money would have been Friday 22 February.

You lucky, lucky basket.

Mine took two weeks, but that gave me time to savour the antici - (wait for it) - pation.

Nevertheless it did arrive safe and sound so I happily renewed my membership in the "Poon and Gary" fanclub.

Bob in Bull Creek
BullcreekBob

Postby dm_td5 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:52 pm

If things drag on with HT I've always found it good to ring back in a week or so and maybe either cancel the order or get a discount on the price or freight. I find that when they draw out the availability time it can usually blow out to several weeks.
D.M. - D200
12°11'34"S 136°46'24"E or there abouts
dm_td5

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:26 am

Trevor's had is camera for ten hours now ...

And Mr UPS is still showing it as "In Transit". :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby seeto.centric on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:23 am

gstark wrote:
seeto.centric wrote:hehe wow that is quite amazing indeed..

No. That would most likely be Oz Post.

FWIW, Mr UPS is still showing Trevor's package as "In Transit".

hahah yeah aust post could also be to blame.
it came onboard one of the postie bikes.. i was so excited that i watched him pop the hatch on his bike and he even delivered it with a smile :D

-j
seeto.centric

Postby aim54x on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:32 pm

lol seeto!!!

I love B&H, took them 3 working days to get me my MB-D10, good job UPS!!!!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Dargan on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Talking about deliveries. Although I ordered a D300 on Thursday afternoon last at the end of the trading day from Discount Digital Photog it was not sent until yesterday 25th March, this was understandable, but I had it home delivered today along with a range of other gear. Considering it often takes 3-4 days to get a letter from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast I am #$#$$$&^% impressed as well as happy :D A lot of this is in the hands of the courier company and the logistics involved, in this case TNT, so it is not usually worth criticising the seller aside from their choice of logistics transport. BTW my very initial impression of the D300 was that it is not as well made as the D200. I don't mean it isn't a great camera but little things are not the same. I had the same impression with the switch from the D70, a very solid little camera which I still have. :D
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby aim54x on Fri May 23, 2008 10:51 am

Dargan wrote:Talking about deliveries. Although I ordered a D300 on Thursday afternoon last at the end of the trading day from Discount Digital Photog it was not sent until yesterday 25th March, this was understandable, but I had it home delivered today along with a range of other gear. Considering it often takes 3-4 days to get a letter from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast I am #$#$$$&^% impressed as well as happy :D A lot of this is in the hands of the courier company and the logistics involved, in this case TNT, so it is not usually worth criticising the seller aside from their choice of logistics transport. BTW my very initial impression of the D300 was that it is not as well made as the D200. I don't mean it isn't a great camera but little things are not the same. I had the same impression with the switch from the D70, a very solid little camera which I still have. :D

Nice to hear the d-d has good delivery, I just go and pick it up from their shop front when iIO get stuff from them, the beauty of living in Sydney.

Not as solid? Hmm I must go and compare now, it feels very solid to me, but then again I am comparing it to the D40x/D80, EOS 40D and A700.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby _robbo_ on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:37 pm

i am currently in the search for a D300 to buy as well. What is the HK dealer you speak of?
_robbo_

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:09 pm

_robbo_ wrote:i am currently in the search for a D300 to buy as well. What is the HK dealer you speak of?

Read the FAQ section and you will be more than informed :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby _robbo_ on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:18 pm

sirhc55 wrote:
_robbo_ wrote:i am currently in the search for a D300 to buy as well. What is the HK dealer you speak of?

Read the FAQ section and you will be more than informed :wink:

ooo sounds like a good one :D

looks like i'll be working hard to make the next event :wink:
_robbo_

Postby gstark on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:42 pm

_robbo_ wrote:looks like i'll be working hard to make the next event :wink:

And perchance bringing your location in your profile into compliance? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby _robbo_ on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:55 pm

gstark wrote:
_robbo_ wrote:looks like i'll be working hard to make the next event :wink:

And perchance bringing your location in your profile into compliance? :)

my location is shown isn't it?

Melbourne...
_robbo_

Postby chrisk on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:13 am

robbo, Gary is referring to a suburb in melbourne. btw: i just happend to use PhotoBuff in Melb and they were absolutely excellent. top notch for service, delivery and price on most items.

http://photobuff.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_13&products_id=375
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby gstark on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:13 am

Rooz wrote:robbo, Gary is referring to a suburb in melbourne.

Correct.

Please read the FAQ. It should be painfully clear that the requirement is for a MEANINGFUL location. Please also look at the "forum rules" on this very page!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby _robbo_ on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Rooz wrote:robbo, Gary is referring to a suburb in melbourne. btw: i just happend to use PhotoBuff in Melb and they were absolutely excellent. top notch for service, delivery and price on most items.

http://photobuff.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_13&products_id=375

ahh ok, i read it saying MEANINGFUL, didn't see anythign about a suburb.... i'll put one in.

i checked out that site. Seems like a pretty good deal. Nt too sure about the warranty, it was kind of confusing. If i bought the D300 from there, is there a manufacturers warranty?
_robbo_

Postby gstark on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:40 pm

_robbo_ wrote:ahh ok, i read it saying MEANINGFUL, didn't see anythign about a suburb.... i'll put one in.

When you made your very first post, you were sent a welcome PM which referred you to the front page message to new members. Did you fail to read the PM, or did you fail to read the message on the front page? :)

If the product is grey, then there will usually be a seller's warranty, rather than a manufacturer's warranty.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby _robbo_ on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:17 am

well i dont even remember reading that PM.... that was back while i was living in Japan.. i must have had too much sake :P

does this mean you should have a "NSW" as the end of your location? ;)
_robbo_

Return to Trader Opinions