Whats the catch?..

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Whats the catch?..

Postby Bindii on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:03 am

Has anyone dealt with bizkit0713 on ebay before... Canon 5D for $2,245.00... I'm thinking about ordering it but it seems awfully cheap.. am I missing a catch somewhere???.. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-CANON-EOS-5D ... dZViewItem
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Re: Whats the catch?..

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:19 am

I never worry about ebay sellers that offer pickup - at least you know they exist.

These products are grey and they probably buy O/S at a good price.

But, I’m the kind of person that takes major gambles :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby photohiker on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:21 am

Well, on the face of it, not an awful lot really. but:

Please note that these are Overseas Stock not Australian Stock (free Adapter for the power plug supplied)

They charge $40 for pickup unless you contact them first? That's a bit wierd...

They can't spell for nuts...

Reading the feedback, it would appear that at least for some items, the seller is auctioning items he doesn't have in stock and is buying to order. (look at page 6 of the feedback as a seller) That could get painful...

Bindii, I've had pretty good success walking into Teds and asking them to match a price. I've been surprised actually. Worth a try.

Michael
photohiker

Postby Bindii on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:22 am

Thanks guys..

I might take your advice Michael and at least give Teds a call.. :)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby Glen on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:23 am

Sue, bar the fact you are buying through Ebay, this organisation claims to be an Australian registered business but is not listed in the White Pages or by ASIC. They do have a mobile, hotmail address and post box though :D As they only charge $40 for pick up (is that for your petrol? :lol: ), if you chose to go through them I would take that option but after that I think there would be a good chance you could be on your own, so factor that in, wouldn't take much to change a mobile and hotmail address.

Here is another discussion about them: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31685&p=348426#p348426
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby idleowen on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:47 am

Bindii
I've used them once to buy a Sigma 10-20 and didnt have any problems,found them quite friendly to deal with,however I did pickup since they are in the next suburb. 'cash only' on pickup,they do discount ebay price for this,if you phone them. Pickup point is just an 'empty' townhouse! Will they be there in 11mnths time for warranty issues,who knows??
Nigel
nikon stuff
idleowen

Postby Glen on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:02 pm

Nigel, with an empty townhouse, do you mean totally empty? Do you think they were moving in, or a real estate agent or maintenance guy moonlighting?
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Didn't we have a very similar question just a few days ago?

How many ebay vendors are there now who charge a $40 pickup fee, which is removable if you call them first? As we discussed in that earlier thread, seems like a way to scam ebay.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff M on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:34 pm

Sue

Try these people - https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/index. ... -body.html
I have purchased from them on a couple of occasions with great service. The 5D is a little more expensive at $2499 but they are local, (at least to you and I, Southport, Gold Coast), and you can pick up. They may even price match.

Good luck.
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby joey on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:47 pm

I buy often on eBay auctions. I don’t purchase anything from traders who have feedback less than 99.5%. This trader has feedback below 99%. If you go through all his negative feedbacks, you will find buyers complained that he did not have the items in stock he sold to people.

Personally, I will not spend $2K buying from this trader.
Nikons: D200, N80. Nikkors: 20-35 f/2.8 AFD, 50mm f/1.4 AFD. Speedlights: SB800.
joey

Postby surenj on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:57 pm

Dicount digital photographics also at $2449
surenj

Postby chrisk on Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:09 am

$1885 for a d300 ? wow.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby idleowen on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:38 pm

Glen wrote:Nigel, with an empty townhouse, do you mean totally empty? Do you think they were moving in, or a real estate agent or maintenance guy moonlighting?

Glen......my guess just a cheap place to operate from and 'youngish' guys who operate prbly use it as a crash pad. Thats only my observation based on a quick pickup visit.
nikon stuff
idleowen

Return to Trader Opinions