secondhand lens from overseas

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

secondhand lens from overseas

Postby dervish on Tue May 13, 2008 12:29 pm

I am considering buying a secondhand lens from the states. I was wondering if it is over $1000 will i be slapped with GST or duty eventough it is a secondhand lens? What is the threshold these day. Has anyone had any experience?

Thanks
dervish

Re: secondhand lens from overseas

Postby ATJ on Tue May 13, 2008 12:53 pm

In my opinion, if it is over AU$1,000, you will get hit with GST and Customs fees. The fact that it is secondhand should make no difference, especially since GST was never paid on the original item.

The Threshold is AU$1,000.
ATJ

Postby Glen on Tue May 13, 2008 12:57 pm

Andrew's post is correct. If you are purchasing from a private seller I would explain the $1k limit to them. If it is a US based company selling the s/h lens I would just factor in the GST.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby dervish on Tue May 13, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks ATJ and Glen.

Its a private seller, so i will explain it.
dervish

Postby BullcreekBob on Tue May 13, 2008 2:27 pm

Buying stuff from overseas sellers can certainly have it's drawcards - mainly financial. But there are drawbacks too - can you trust the supplier to send the goods? Will they be as described/expected? Will I get charged extra by customs? What are your realistic options if things go wrong?

Buying from a company that others you know have bought from can reduce the risk of the goods not turning up. Many overseas suppliers also declare a lower value of the goods on the customs declaration to something below the gst threshold; how that sits with your conscience you is up to you. But what does that mean if the goods go missing in the mail? How reliable are your suppliers deliveries? What insurance applies?

Yup, buying overseas come down to trade-offs and risk minimisation. I doubt buying second hand from overseas would ever fit within my comfort levels unless it was from my brother - and even then I'd be cautious.

Your money - your choice. But know the risks before deciding, then live with your choice.
BullcreekBob

Postby devilla101 on Tue May 13, 2008 3:30 pm

There are always risks in life. What will determine whether or not to go with is how comfortable you are taking them ;)

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I bought a 16-35mm mk II from Phils last year. It was waaaaaay cheap and seems to be to good to be true. But at approx $1400 I figured I can risk it. Been happy ever since ;)
devilla101

Postby dervish on Tue May 13, 2008 3:46 pm

devilla101 wrote:There are always risks in life. What will determine whether or not to go with is how comfortable you are taking them ;)

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I bought a 16-35mm mk II from Phils last year. It was waaaaaay cheap and seems to be to good to be true. But at approx $1400 I figured I can risk it. Been happy ever since ;)

What's Phils?
dervish

Postby devilla101 on Tue May 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Ah crap sorry dude, Phils = Philippines.

Normally I wouldn't buy lenses over there but this was too good to pass up
devilla101

Return to Trader Opinions