TEDS Pitt St, Sydney

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

TEDS Pitt St, Sydney

Postby Geoff on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 am

I never thought I'd be plugging TEDS but well here I am.
Just called them to enquire about the D700.
Quoted price for AUS stock is $3559. (DD price for grey stock is currently $3599).
I spoke to Michael, who is a forum (not regular) here and he was MOST helpful.
He pointed out that this price is now cheaper than DD photographics AND ECS and it's AUS stock, guaranteed!
He also has great prices for lenses too.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Re: TEDS Pitt St, Sydney

Postby petermmc on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:54 am

Hi Geoff

I can't agree with you more. I purchased a Panasonic Lumix Lx3 there last week and the price I ended up paying was as cheap as or cheaper than many internet sellers' prices. Great friendly help and good advice.

I, like you, have heard a lot of bad Ted's press but I have now changed my opinion.

Regards

Peter
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby MCWB on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:58 am

Wow, that's impressive! Good stuff! :cheers:
MCWB

Postby aim54x on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:53 pm

great to hear that the grey guys are gettin beaten by a retailer.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:21 pm

As has been noted in other threads, local retailers are benefiting from the demise, over the last six weeks or so, of the Pacific Peso.

Those who want to buy a D700 or D90 should probably do so sooner rather than later, if they're looking to get local stock, to take advantage of the favourable currency conditions that have caused this to occur. I would expect that by the end of the year, unless the PP rises back to over US0.92, there will be significant price increases on local stock, and this will be true in the Canon realm as well.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Michaelm on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Cheers Geoff,

Id be the first to admit i have purchased both pro bodies and lenses form DD in the past. However, i have recently noticed they have started to get very gutsy with prices. It is quite obvious they are inflating prices driven by lack of availability of Australian stock. For example the D3, one day you see it on their site for $49##, then the following day for $5478.

Most of you would already know, Canon Aus has slashed $500 off most of their pro lenses which eventually means lights out for the grey importers. For example, i gave Geoff a price for the 24-70 2.8L and 24-105 and BOTH prices were cheaper than DD. I have also had a look to see at the N series Nikon lenses , and we can do better on price also.

DD Currently have the D700 going for $3465 (7:50pm 24/9/08) and as Greg mentioned above we can do them for $3559. I dont know about you guys but for the extra $94 bucks id prefer an AUSTRALIAN model thanks!

Each to their own i guess, but i will say that make sure you check with us or even ECS for better prices before heading for grey imports. Price is not everything ( not for $94 bucks ) anyways. I would rather build a good friendship with a local retailer and know i am not just another number rather than walk into someone's bedroom in a unit block to buy an overpriced import. Most pro's would prefer that anyways.

:cheers:
Michael
Michaelm

Postby virgal_tracy on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:53 pm

After this discussion and reading Michael's reply, I ventured in to Ted's today and spoke with Michael. He was able to match a great price on a lens that I had received from JB hi Fi's Melbourne Camera store and got close with another lens from DD. I was more than happy to send my money his way and develop that relationship which could help with further purchases.

I recomend talking with Michael.
Cheers,
Vince

Space: the final frontier
virgal_tracy

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:30 pm

The development of a relationship with a local retailer is important, but it needs to based upon respect and trust.

Too frequently, one runs across staff in a retail environment who know less than nothing about photography, but who are trying to sell you a camera. Given the technical complexities involved in the photographic process, coupled with the technical complexities inherent in our cameras and their accessories, dealing with somebody with insufficient photographic knowledge can be, IMHO, problematic.

When you find someone like Michael, then it can certainly be worthwhile spending a little bit more in order to support the support that you will be gaining from the relationship. With the current competitive pricing situation, things are even better in this regard.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:50 pm

gstark wrote:When you find someone like Michael, then it can certainly be worthwhile spending a little bit more in order to support the support that you will be gaining from the relationship. With the current competitive pricing situation, things are even better in this regard.

Absolutely Gary.
Michael is a photographer, he's not a ONLY salesman working in a camera shop. He's passionate about selling, informing and getting things just right.
That said...our credit card just got dented for $3460 for the D700 body. This is $5 cheaper than DD's price today..and I walked out with NIKON AUSTRALIA STOCK! Incredible!

Thanks Michael :)

My D200 and 17-55DX 2.8 lens will soon be on fleabay.

Fortunately for me, the photography business is picking up again, I have secured my first wedding for 2009 and I have 4 + portrait jobs booked between now and the end of the year...happy days!
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Glen on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:14 pm

Congrats on the new purchase Geoff, looking forward to seeing the first pics
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Geoff wrote:That said...our credit card just got dented for $3460 for the D700 body. This is $5 cheaper than DD's price today..and I walked out with NIKON AUSTRALIA STOCK! Incredible!

It's difficult to ask for a better outcome than this.

Now you need to address the real problem that you face: the learning curve on the D700. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Geoff
Congrats on the new camera mate! I just know you'll love it! So the weddings off? :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:34 pm

Geoff wrote:That said...our credit card just got dented for $3460 for the D700 body. This is $5 cheaper than DD's price today..and I walked out with NIKON AUSTRALIA STOCK! Incredible!

Well done Geoff - keep in mind that come a certain day life will change so, BUY, BUY BUY NOW! :cheers:
Last edited by sirhc55 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Geoff on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:42 pm

Gary - there will indeed be a learning curve. But what an ENJOYABLE learning curve it is.

Wedding is still very much on, and I am so lucky I have an amazingly understandable fiance (she'll be my wife very soon!!).

Will post some shots soon.
Geoff
Geoff

Return to Trader Opinions