Deal Extreme is awesome

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Deal Extreme is awesome

Postby bwhatnall on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:10 am

Found this site, sells Chinese copies of products, called dealextreme. They ship anywhere in the world for free, and most of their products are as good as the original. They dont sell serious gear, but if you need a UV filter, batteries, replacment lens cap ect, this is perfect.

I just ordered a 77mm UV filter for $7, now i dont know if you can beat that anywhere else
http://www.dealextreme.com
Lots of goodies really, lets just say my lenses stretch from 10mm to 500mm with plenty of light at 5fps ;)

My Portfolio - http://www.brookewhatnall.com
bwhatnall

Re: Deal Extreme is awesome

Postby Glen on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:47 am

Brooke, I have order a lot from DX, might be an exaggeration to say most of their products are just as good as the original but they represent good value. They had recently been caught selling counterfeit (not copies, counterfeit) goods which were substantially down in performance on the original, but being passed off as original. At the prices I still believe they represent value and they have improved delivery these days, I can show you some of my orders which took 2 months to arrive, Cameron here had a delivery in something like a week and half recently.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:53 am

bwhatnall wrote:I just ordered a 77mm UV filter for $7, now i dont know if you can beat that anywhere else

If you're using it for protection of your front element, that would be fine.

I would, however, question the value of spending PP2K+ on getting some good, high optical quality glass, and then putting something that is technically just short of frosted glass in front of it before you start making images. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby robert on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:58 am

Agree. I've bought stacks of torches and electronics, ipod accessories etc from them for a few years. Takes a while for shipping but prices are dead cheap.
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby MATT on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:59 am

They have some neat stuff on Deal Extreme, but i have herd also of peoples months of waaiting..

MATT
MATT

Postby aim54x on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:41 am

Glen wrote:Brooke, I have order a lot from DX, might be an exaggeration to say most of their products are just as good as the original but they represent good value. They had recently been caught selling counterfeit (not copies, counterfeit) goods which were substantially down in performance on the original, but being passed off as original. At the prices I still believe they represent value and they have improved delivery these days, I can show you some of my orders which took 2 months to arrive, Cameron here had a delivery in something like a week and half recently.

Ouch on the counterfeit, didnt know about that, and yes I did manage to get my Romisen (torch) delivered in 10 days (days not working days). They are great value and have a good range
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby moz on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 am

Their torches are adequate but no more, and definitely both as cheap as possible and not very precisely made - they are definitely not waterproof despite the paper-thin rubber washers. However silicon grease fixes that (and stops the torch working if you don't provide an alternate conduction path). For a cheap but bright bike light to use on unlit bike paths it's $20 well spent, but I'm not expecting great longevity. On the other hand, if it falls off and breaks I will not be too upset, ditto if it gets stolen. Spending $100 on a light I use ~20 hours a year doesn't really suit me, and that's the only place I really need a bright torch, otherwise I'd buy a decent one. (I have a 1W head torch that I use a lot).

You also need to read the description very closely, as anything not specified will probably not be included.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby aim54x on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:20 pm

moz wrote:Their torches are adequate but no more, and definitely both as cheap as possible and not very precisely made - they are definitely not waterproof despite the paper-thin rubber washers. However silicon grease fixes that (and stops the torch working if you don't provide an alternate conduction path). For a cheap but bright bike light to use on unlit bike paths it's $20 well spent, but I'm not expecting great longevity. On the other hand, if it falls off and breaks I will not be too upset, ditto if it gets stolen. Spending $100 on a light I use ~20 hours a year doesn't really suit me, and that's the only place I really need a bright torch, otherwise I'd buy a decent one. (I have a 1W head torch that I use a lot).

You also need to read the description very closely, as anything not specified will probably not be included.

I have to agree, my Wolf Eyes Defender 260 is in another league to the Romisen. I am not going to test the waterproof-ness of the Romisen! Otherwise the build is decent.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby mozzie on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:34 pm

the amount of useless stuff on that site is amazing...just spent over an hour browsing through novelties that I would never know what to do with!!!! AWESOME
mozzie

Postby bwhatnall on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:03 pm

mozzie wrote:the amount of useless stuff on that site is amazing...just spent over an hour browsing through novelties that I would never know what to do with!!!! AWESOME

I know, I am losing sleep looking at mobile phone blockers, zapper pens, and silly ipod addons. Though i just ordered a set of 2700m/ah batteries for my flash, they have had good review, were ordered today, will let you know on delivery time.
Lots of goodies really, lets just say my lenses stretch from 10mm to 500mm with plenty of light at 5fps ;)

bwhatnall

Postby Glen on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:46 am

Brooke you may want to check the capacity in a proper analyser, if you look on Candle Power forums you will see a bunch of comparisons where the batteries were only 60% or so of advertised capacity.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby aim54x on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Glen wrote:Brooke you may want to check the capacity in a proper analyser, if you look on Candle Power forums you will see a bunch of comparisons where the batteries were only 60% or so of advertised capacity.

If you want to have a read on GOOD rechargable AA's have a look at
http://wolfeyes.com.au/news/?p=6

http://wolfeyes.com.au/news/?p=9

http://wolfeyes.com.au/news/?p=25
Cameron
aim54x

Postby bwhatnall on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:15 pm

Aah, thanks for that, will have a proper test when they arrive, they have to be better then the 2700m/ah ones i have at the moment, 2 years old and dont hold carge at all

bwhatnall

Return to Trader Opinions