Digital World International

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby bbvn on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:46 am

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and looking to buy Nikon D90, and Digital World International (DWI) is offering best price, comparing to D-D Photographics and Camerasdirect. $1150 after delivery fee and surcharge on credit card payment, but I have never bought anything with this supplier.

I would appreciate very much if any users and members can give me information or advice regarding DWI.

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/sto ... oduct=1792

Thanks very much.
Nikon D40, Nikon D90 - 50mm 1.8/ 50mm 1.4/ 85mm 1.8/ 105mm 2.8/ Sigma 50mm 1.4
bbvn

Re: Digital World International

Postby aim54x on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:25 pm

I would be very wary, I cant find an address for them on their website, nor can I find much chatter about them on the net. The price is VERY low (hence tempting) well below the price on ebay, lets not mention the australian pricing.

UP to you..
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby muzz on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:05 pm

Anyone stating this in their testimonial page will get business from the west!!

"Digital World International (DWI) delivers its range of Digital Cameras, Digital SLR Cameras and Digital Video Cameras and Camcorders, Lenses, flashes, speedlites, speedlights and other accessories Australia wide to places with in New South Whales (NSW),... :biglaugh:

Dodgy?? Who knows but I'd be careful.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:32 pm

muzz wrote:New South Whales

Whell, there have been a number of whale sightings off the northern beaches just in the last wheek. But they where heading north, for the whinter.

I think I might be inclined to exercise a little caution ....
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bbvn on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:51 pm

Thank you all, Aim54x, Muzz, and Gstark for your opinions. Very much appreciated!
bbvn

Postby gasgasgas on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:31 pm

The pricing of this firm is good. They are not dodgy, as I have recently purchased a D700 and grip with them, but they have serious communication issues between their warehouse and the local seller. (Their communication with me was always speedy and courteous!)

My D700 was "in stock" when I purchased it and I wondered what the delay was when I'd not received it after 5 days. I sent an e-mail and they told me they had to wait on shipping until the grip was available. They thought that was going to be the following day, so I left it a few more days.

When I contacted them after that, they said there had been a computer glitch and they were out of stock. They offered me a full refund or said I could wait. I chose to wait, as the price was very favourable, even compared to Poon (who I've used before). Long story short, I got the camera the week before last, after ordering it in the middle of April.

They used Fed-Ex and provide a tracking number, which all worked out fine. Their packaging leaves a little to be desired, as my OE packaging for the grip and the camera now have the corners knocked in (2 x bubblewrap bags around the contents), but all in all, for the price, I can recommend them.

Cheers
Simon Grounds
Previously disappointed Nikon user. Now happy to have stuck with it. :) Bring on the lotto win for some new Nikon's ;)
gasgasgas

Postby bbvn on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Thank you very much, Gasgasgas, for you detailed information of DWI- At least they are not dodgy! No question, they offer best price! Thanks again, Gasgasgas and enjoy your weekend!
bbvn

Postby gummi on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:18 am

Hey BBVN, let us know how you go buying from them, would be interested in buying from them too since their prices are very good!
Val
Nikon D300
gummi

Postby V-man on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:06 pm

I just received my Nikkor 24-70mm from DWI at $2265. Very Happy :up:
D200 etc
V-man

Postby V-man on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:41 pm

At DWI a D700 is going for $2980 AUS at the moment, & a nikkor 70-200vr F2.8 is $2200. Not bad. I cant find anything close to that. If i was a member and not a newbie maybe then i can order through this Poon that everyone talks about.
Untill then Money Talks.
D200 etc
V-man

Postby gstark on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:18 pm

V-man wrote: If i was a member and not a newbie maybe then i can order through this Poon that everyone talks about.

"This Poon" is actually a long time member and staunch supporter of this forum. He owns Hong Kong Supplies, with whom you can deal directly through eBay.

He will be in Sydney towards the end of this month, and enjoying the company of many of his fellow members while attending PMA. You are more than welcome to join us; please see this thread as well as the calendar items on the portal page.

The arrangements that we have with Poon are very clearly described in the FAQ, as are the eligibility requirements. You have taken a few minutes to read the FAQ, haven't you?

While yes, the price you may pay is important in these dealings, the real price you may pay consists of much more than just the dollar value quoted. DWI's prices appear to be good, but they do not include delivery, nor do we know what their overall attitudes towards service/warranty issues might be. I am not saying that they are bad, but merely highlighting the fact that they are an unknown quantity.

By way of contrast, DD has good prices, with local distribution, and Poons prices include delivery, and we have privileged access to the dealer that you cannot get with any other grey dealer. Both Poon and DD have been proven to be reliable over a prolonged period of time. Only Poon provides direct support to this forum.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:27 pm

gstark wrote:DD has good prices, with local distribution, and Poons prices include delivery, and we have privileged access to the dealer that you cannot get with any other grey dealer. Both Poon and DD have been proven to be reliable over a prolonged period of time. Only Poon provides direct support to this forum.

Careful Gary, we dont want people thinking you run DD now! :rotfl2:
Cameron
aim54x

Postby MatthewRoberts on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:33 pm

I bought my D700 from DWI a couple of weeks ago. I recommend phoning them up first to confirm stock levels. There was a slight delay with my order, but they offered me a refund. Anyway, the entire order took 4 business days for delivery. The D700 was in brand new condition with original packaging and 0 shutter actuations. I am very happy with my import! :up:
“ If you cannot explain it simply, you dont understand it well enough ”
Albert Einstein

D90 / D700 / SB-900 / 50mm 1.4G / 18-200mm / 24-70mm, Manfrotto 190XDB/804RC2
Canon Powershot SX100IS, Canon IXUS 65, Pentax Optio S4
MatthewRoberts

Postby kobeson on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:48 am

I came across theseguys from info in another forum. They have had credit card fraud problems, which may or may not be related to purchases ar DWI. But apparently if you use PayPal all is fine. They ahve a fast turn around apparently and are reliable going by what users have said.

I am still a bit skeptical, but am looking to import a lens soon so am considering using them.

It's hard to know which etailer to import from Hong Kong, which is considered the best?
Canon EOS 550D (gripped) | Canon 18-55 f3.5/5.6 | Canon 55-250 f4-5.6 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Raynox DCR-250
kobeson

Postby surenj on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:32 pm

kobeson wrote:ut am looking to import a lens soon so am considering using them.

Suppose you would have to balance the risk with the size of your purchase.

I would suggest DD electronics or photographics. Their warranty is more tangible as it's based in Sydney.
surenj

Postby kobeson on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Oh ok, based in Sydney does sound good.

DWI have a rep in Australia I believe, but am not sure about how their warranties work.
Canon EOS 550D (gripped) | Canon 18-55 f3.5/5.6 | Canon 55-250 f4-5.6 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Raynox DCR-250
kobeson

Postby spesh on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:23 am

I used DWI for my D700 purchase and they were fantastic :)

I did purchase MACK warranty though which is longer than the standard Nikon Warranty for Australia and all-in I saved $$$s for the same product!

Couldn't be happier with them... I'm about to use them again for an SB-900 or two :)
Nikon (growing quickly!)

http://www.perfectcapture.com.au
spesh

Postby kobeson on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:01 pm

spesh wrote:I used DWI for my D700 purchase and they were fantastic :)

I did purchase MACK warranty though which is longer than the standard Nikon Warranty for Australia and all-in I saved $$$s for the same product!

Couldn't be happier with them... I'm about to use them again for an SB-900 or two :)

Oh that's good to hear.

I wonder, with the MACK warranty - does that mean you would have to send the camera/lens back to Hong Kong? And do they cover the costs of shipping for you?
kobeson

Postby surenj on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:44 pm

kobeson wrote:DWI have a rep in Australia I believe, but am not sure about how their warranties work.

Please let us know if you find out.
surenj

Postby kobeson on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:58 pm

I will, if I ever need to find out - maybe people haven't needed to use their warranty service, I would hope I wouldn't either!
kobeson

Postby eriberrie16 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Do not purchase from DWI!!!!

I tried to have a quick google search of people's reviews of DWI and feedback before I purchased form them and I found very little feedback so i'm here to warn everyone and tell them about my experience. Needless to say I will never buy from them again.

I saw the price of my olympus 8010 tough was about 150-200 cheaper than in the stores like JB HI FI, Dick Smith, Harvey Norman and Office works and all those places so I searched online and DWI was the cheapest, although not by much of the electronic online stores. Making the payment online was trouble free.
I waited and waited for them to send me my camera.
The product they sent me was faulty!!
The shutter cover of the lense was hanging half off and clearly looked broken and the camera would not charge or plug in no matter what I did.

I sent if off the day I received it demanding a full refund, I didn't want it repaired because I no longer trusted DWI.
They then took AGES to get into contact with me about the status of the repair/refund claim and took longer than the 5 working days they said they would.

They told me the camera was fine and nothing wrong with it and didnt even mention the shutter cover hanging half down which I took photos off them and sent them before I sent it off.
I spoke to them several times over skype, via phone and through email.

They refused to give me a refund or even exchange the product for another one.

They are also making me pay a lot of postage to have the item which they claim is not faulty sent back to me.

I have told them that if i recieve the item and it still has all the problems that I told them I would take it to an independent repair for an analysis and then sue them for breaches of the Trade Practices Act and goods not being fit for their purpose and take my claim to the consumer ombudsman.

I'm furious and will never buy from them again.

I got a fault product and I bet you will too!!!
eriberrie16

Postby biggerry on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:58 pm

by eriberrie16 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:30 pm
Do not purchase from DWI!!!!

uh-huh...and why should I believe anything you say? especially since you have spammed the same thing over other forums?
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:22 pm

kobeson wrote:I will, if I ever need to find out - maybe people haven't needed to use their warranty service, I would hope I wouldn't either!

I think the whole idea is that you are confident about their warranty BEFORE you have to use it.... Otherwise there is no point in doing some research before buying. If you are just hoping for the best, there is no need to research. Just buy from anywhere.
I emailed their warranty agent several months ago. They don't exist. The website is half done. The phone line doesn't work. :wink:

eriberrie16 wrote:I got a fault product and I bet you will too!!!

Would you post the images that you took of the faulty product? :wink:
surenj

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:53 pm

A friend of mine purchased a badly front focusing Shitma from DWI and has sent it back under warranty....I dont think he has gotten the Shitma back yet and it has been a LONG time....4-5 weeks at least
Cameron
aim54x

Postby surenj on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:05 am

Cameron there is two mistakes there.
1. Sigma - should be always bought from a store that you can easily return to... :mrgreen:
2. DWI - a store that has lots of complaints; especially when things go wrong.
surenj

Postby malificentmuse on Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Ive bought my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Nikkor 85 f/1.8 from there with no problems, all both came within the week :D
malificentmuse

Postby Wink on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:34 am

I brought my 100mm L Macro from DWI.
No problems whatsoever.
Look on Whirlpool if you want feedback. There's a whole thread on DWI.

All my other gear has come from Citiwide. Delivery is a bit slower than DWI, but the prices are good and I haven't had any problems with them.

Buying grey is a risk, but I'll take the risk against the slight chance of needing to make a warranty claim for the savings they offer, which are considerable.
I would still be well in front even if I took it to a local service agent and paid for the repair.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby aim54x on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:52 pm

surenj wrote:Cameron there is two mistakes there.
1. Sigma - should be always bought from a store that you can easily return to... :mrgreen:
2. DWI - a store that has lots of complaints; especially when things go wrong.

:agree: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Cameron
aim54x

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:14 pm

aim54x wrote:
surenj wrote:2. DWI - a store that has lots of complaints; especially when things go wrong.

:agree: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

And today they sent a dipstick along to try and spam us into believing that they are good.

If that's the best that they can offer, then they can go and just shoot themselves. This thread is now being closed, and I will not tolerate any further discussion of these spammers.

Till now I have been very tolerant. They need to be aware of the consequences of the intemperate actions.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Trader Opinions