Well, that was fun.

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Well, that was fun.

Postby gstark on Sun May 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Almost anyone who has been to San Francisco will be familiar with the wonderful photographic traders who have shops along the Embarcadero at Fisherman's Wharf.

Truly knowledgeable and honest, hard working salespeople, who will try to sell a fridge to an eskimo. :)

So I felt in need of a little blood sport this morning ....

Wandering down the road, pretty well each of the stores had spruikers on the street, wanting to sell me filters for the front of the J1. So, with the knowledge that filters these days are not really necessary (except for special needs) I took the last of these guys on, pointing out to him that the lenses are coated and hardened, and that a filter is no longer necessary.

He tried arguing it was for protection, but again I pointed pout that the lenses are hardened, and protection is not needed.

He then tried countering by telling me that most people don't know that.

Of course, he was correct.

But he then seemed to not get the point when I called him a liar and a thief, for trying to sell people something that he'd just agreed was not needed by them. :)

We departed with him calling me all sorts of names; a great way to encourage business into his store. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Well, that was fun.

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun May 06, 2012 12:55 pm

He obviously took a knife to a gunfight!
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby sirhc55 on Sun May 06, 2012 1:56 pm

My God Gary you have just destroyed 50 years of believing I needed a filter to protect my lens :biglaugh:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby surenj on Fri May 11, 2012 11:33 am

Sounds like a third-world style selling. The only difference seems to be that they can speak English; perhaps not.
surenj

Return to Trader Opinions