Adorama - UPS experience

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Adorama - UPS experience

Postby agriffiths on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:15 am

I'm sure there are quite a few of you who are probably already internet shopping savy but I thought I'd share my first internet shopping experience with Adorama.
On the 2nd of April I decided to bite the bullet and puchase the latest release Tamrac expedition 5 camera backpack from Adorama (New York). The number of stocked items that they had listed on their website was one of the biggest I'd ever seen in a photography store and their prices at a glance were relatively low. The bag, according to my puchase receipt was going to cost me US$129.95 plus US$64 for EXPRESS UPS.
So I thought ok I'll cop the $64 freight charge if it means it will get to me in a hurry. :roll: I imediately emailed my credit card verification details to Adorama and emphasised the importance of getting the bag to me ASAP... especially since I was paying half the bags value in freight charges!
I sent follow up emails on the 4th and 5th to make sure that they were sending the goods as instructed. It wasn't until today (8th of April) that I received a call from UPS stating that a hold had been placed on my goods and that a customs fee of $102 would have to be payed before they could be released. :shock: :o
So after questioning UPS I decided to pay the customs charge by credit card and be done with it. The bag had already taken 7 days to get to me and I had to have it for this weekend (the whole reason for buying the bag in the first place).
So with a total of AU$352 of hard earned cash handed over for a US$129 bag I thought well at least I'll have it for the weekend. I then asked the UPS lady to give an approximate time of delivery so that I could make sure that I was around this afternoon. She puts me through to the service department (and has me on hold for 5 minutes) and I am then told that the goods will not arive until Monday the 11th... two days too late to be used for its intended purpose. I asked why it was going to take so long for an EXPRESS courier to deliver my goods when I had already payed the release money (more like randsom money). She then told me that the goods were still on a plane from America....... :shock:
So basically I've payed customs a S**t load of cash for a package that hasn't even arrived in Australia yet!
I'm sure many of you already know how the whole system works but for me it was a real eye opener. Just a word of warning for those of you entertaining the thought of purchasing from the US... the system SUXXXX! :evil:
Anyway, enough of my ranting. I'm going to go and breath into a paper bag now.
agriffiths

Postby birddog114 on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:23 am

agriffiths
Sorry to hear your trouble with UPS, we have few posts related to UPS recently, perhaps you haven't seen it and use UPS. UPS Sydney is sucked and a big fat liar, they're slow than USPS snail mail and always telling lies to their customer: "Package is still on the plane, in the US or not in the country yet and we're doing advance clearing"

P.S:
Tamrac expedition 5 is the one you bought, it's similar to the LowePro Minitrekker and selling at AU$155.00.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby agriffiths on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:39 am

... ok, stopped breathing into paper bag...

Hi Birdy, the bag that I bought has only just been released. I think it's the replacement for the $155 version that you are refering to.

Here's a link:

http://www.tamrac.com/welcome2.htm

It's just what I've been looking for... but not for AU$352!!!

I agree, UPS express = poor service + lots of money. I hate getting ripped off... especially when you're up aginst a bunch of stone wallers like UPS.
agriffiths

Postby redline on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:43 am

that sad to hear,
i thought that they couldn't charge you custom duties for couier job under 250$ dollars?
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby Glen on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:45 am

agriffiths sorry to hear your unfortunate story. At least the wing pockets look cute and you could double as an angel in a play wearing it :wink:
Tamrac, are available in Aus, I thought they weren't but Gary pointed out they are, I think the importers are in Brookvale in Sydney.
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:47 am

Well, what can I say?
I learned from my mistakes with UPS in many occassions.
It's nice bag btw, it will help you proud of it!

Redline:
Sending thru USPS or Postal Service is still under AU$500.00 limit but sometimes you're lucky and get thru.
Sending by UPS or Fedex, the maximum limit is AU$250.00 and mainly no luck!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:48 am

Yes, Tamrac has office in Australia and can buy from their reseller but I don't know the price of them.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby agriffiths on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:53 am

Oh well that'll teach me for trying to get a good deal from the US. I did check out the Aust. distributor but I don't think they are available in Australia yet.
Guess I just thought I could get one quickly and cheaply from the US. Guess I was wrong :roll:
agriffiths

Postby Glen on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:55 am

Doesn't really work purchasing small items from the states, customs and freight kill them, unless it is physically small so to slip through the post. On larger items asian companies are more helful on invoicing. :wink:
Glen

Postby agriffiths on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:59 am

Thanks Glen, I'll remember that for next time.
For $352 I could have just waited for the Crumpler sale which starts tomorrow. It's the "Beer for Bags Sale'. You give them beer.. they give you bag. I would have waited for the sale but didn't like their higher than mighty attitude.
agriffiths

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:01 pm

Glen wrote:Tamrac, are available in Aus, I thought they weren't but Gary pointed out they are, I think the importers are in Brookvale in Sydney.

Correct.

But they're lame to deal with. Slow and inept from just a pre-sales perspective. If they're like that in a pre-sale situation, what will they be like when it comes to actually having to deliver product?

And one other thing - they won't deal with you as a customer. You must go to a reseller, who, typically, won't have what you want in stock.

UPS are a real pain in the arse to deal with. Perhaps you should ask them, very pointedly, how they can have the items assessed for cutoms, when (a) the item has not yet presented to Customs, and (b) the value of the imported goods is below that which Customs states attracts duty.

And unless you get a good answer, talk to your credit card company (after you take delivery of the bag, of course) and register a complaint, alleging fraudulent behaviour on the part of UPS. Supply appropriate supporting documentation of course.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:03 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Sending thru USPS or Postal Service is still under AU$500.00 limit but sometimes you're lucky and get thru.

Wasn't that Au$1000 for postal items ?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:07 pm

gstark wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Sending thru USPS or Postal Service is still under AU$500.00 limit but sometimes you're lucky and get thru.

Wasn't that Au$1000 for postal items ?

No, AU$1000.00 is the limit for good with duty paid only, not the maximum for GST allowances, photography is duty free so only GST applies.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Rusty W. Griswald on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:19 pm

Got this from the Customs Website, after reading it, I'm even more confused.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376

Buying over the Internet

You will have to pay customs duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST) on your goods if, either:

* the total duty and GST combined is more than $50 Australian, calculated as follows:
o Calculations are based on the purchase price of the goods converted to Australian dollars (known as the customs value);
o plus the applicable duty rate as determined by the Tariff classification
o plus postage or transport fees
o plus any paid insurance costs
o
The total of these amounts is known as the Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI)
Rusty W. Griswald

Postby agriffiths on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:23 pm

UPS are a real pain in the arse to deal with. Perhaps you should ask them, very pointedly, how they can have the items assessed for cutoms, when (a) the item has not yet presented to Customs, and (b) the value of the imported goods is below that which Customs states attracts duty.

And unless you get a good answer, talk to your credit card company (after you take delivery of the bag, of course) and register a complaint, alleging fraudulent behaviour on the part of UPS. Supply appropriate supporting documentation of course.

Garry, you are the man! I'm going to give it a try... I've got nothing left to lose.
agriffiths

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:25 pm

Thanx for the clarification.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Razor on Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:28 pm

I ordered a nice tripod and some accessories from Adorama pretty much exactly 3 weeks ago. Let me tell you - ADORAMA IS A NIGHTMARE. I am really having bad luck this month... :roll:

I ordered and faxed them the verification details as requested. I got a reply the next day stating that the verification was ok and my order was being processed for shipment via UPS. So I emailed them twice saying that I had selected USPS EMS Express for a reason and that I need it shipped via USPS.

Next day a reply - single line saying "ok will ship USPS". Alright I think... then next day I get a shipment notification with Fedex tracking number. In panic, I click the tracking link which stated that my parcel had been delivered somewhere in New York!!!!

So I email again to Adorama - this time I get an instant reply stating that they are closed for business until 8 days later. Some jewish holiday thing. My wife was fanning me cool air at this point................

A week later I resent my email telling them what had happened and explaining again that I need the parcel shipped via EMS Express to avoid customs charges. If they offer USPS during their checkout it is reasonable to expect they also send USPS. I also told them that I would consider it basic professionalism to start emails with a greeting, include more than a line of text and sign with a name.

Well... the concept seems new to them but one of their service reps stepped up to the challenge. I think she was trying to be nice when she took the shipment charge off my order and added "Rush - Priority Overnight". However their warehouse seems to be manned by trained monkeys. Priority Overnight is only available in the USA so they changed the order to UPS International.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Apparently the initial US$670 charge should have been refunded - which hasn't happened. Now they have charged another US$600 (less delivery charge) and the order confirmation says "Thanks for being a repeat customer". I am going insane!!! :evil: :roll: :shock: :evil:

Just waiting for UPS to call and make my day! Please, take my advice and do not buy from Adorma. I have NEVER come across a company this unprofessional, disorganised and useless.
Razor

Postby Yi-P on Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:58 pm

Im sorry to hear about the sad story and nightmare in ordering from Adorama. I hope you get everything sorted out in the end.

Seriously, B&H does this much better IMHO...

If anything else, HKS is best all the way around... in terms of price and reliability. :)
Yi-P

Postby Razor on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:28 pm

Well they have shipped my parcel to the wrong address a second time. When I complained about it they simply refunded my payment without further explanation, apology or suggestion that they'd try again. Can only conclude that employment prerquisite for this mob is to be an inbred retard. Just shocking...
Razor

Postby anubis on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:48 pm

I ordered a 70-200 VR, several nikon filters and a SB-600 and had huge issues till I changed payment from AMEX to VISA.

After that no problems, Recieved the goods a few days later.
Nikon D300, Nikkors 70-200 VR, 17-55, 50 1.4,18-200 VR etc
anubis

Postby aloysius on Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:24 am

have just ordered a 2nd hand lens off these guys...price was too good to knock back...hope i dont have the same issues. :?
aloysius

Postby DVEous on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:08 am

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby aloysius on Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:22 pm

My lens has shipped from Adorama using UPS. Hasn't left the states yet...Will report back when i recieve it.
aloysius

Postby ATJ on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:50 pm

USPS is the way to go as many courier companies charge you for "customs clearance" which is a rip off seeing as Customs send an officer to them for the inspections.

I once had a repair done by Ikelite and they sent it back via DHL. Shipping was US$40 from memory. I got the package OK and then a few days later I got an invoice from DHL for $54 for customs clearance. I queried it and they claimed it was valid. I then called Customs and said that they do not charge the courier company per package. I called DHL back and they agreed to waive the fee.

USPS links in with Australia Post and despite the jokes about AP, they are actually very reliable. I have ordered stuff from the US on a Thursday night and had it arrive at my place on Monday morning.
ATJ

Postby binky on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:00 am

I had the same experience. When I ordered my SB800 and Nikon capture from B&H a few years back via UPS, I got charged by them for customs clearance. A real ripoff.
binky

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:50 am

I've been very critical of courier companies in the past because of these practices of theirs.

However, many of the shipments that come from Poon are sent by UPS, and they come in free of this sort of BS.

Now, whether that's a product of Poon's shippijng, or whether the couriers have revised their methods, I don't know ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:34 am

gstark wrote:However, many of the shipments that come from Poon are sent by UPS, and they come in free of this sort of BS.

Now, whether that's a product of Poon's shippijng, or whether the couriers have revised their methods, I don't know ...

My one and only purchase from Poon (so far ;) ) came via Post. It was also very fast and I doubt that a courier could have done it any faster.
ATJ

Postby aloysius on Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:42 pm

http://wwwapps.ups.com/etracking/tracki ... 6649696523

Thats the tracking for my lens from Adorama. bloody weird that it had to go Vic->NSW->Vic....but as long as its here by tomorrow Im happy!
aloysius

Postby aloysius on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:59 pm

Lens arrived today. It is missing the hood and lens/back caps...but i can live with that. The slow delivery was to do with local courier so really cant blame that on UPS or Adorama either. Overall im very happy with how this has gone and would deal with them again in a flash.
aloysius

Postby DanINqld on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:47 pm

I ordered my gitzo through adorama, was a PITA to get them to approve the order (fax or email scan or c.card etc), but once approved on the Thursday night.. received it Monday morning on the gold coast.

Ended up being a quicker turnaround than Crumpler Australia... ordered at the same time. That took a week longer!
DanINqld

Postby beetleboy on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:26 am

aloysius wrote:It is missing the hood and lens/back caps

Was it supposed to be new?
beetleboy

Postby aloysius on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:27 am

Nah, it was from their secondhand section. cost me AUD$170 landed to my door...so cant complan about a lens cap and a hood. Although that said I really do want the hood for it. Will have to trawl the net for it.
Nikon D-Fitty & D70 18-55G, 18-70ED, 70-300G, 50 1.8, Tokina ATX 12-24.

My gallery: http://joeharrison.info
aloysius

Postby BlahBlah on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:50 pm

I ordered a lens and some bibs and bobs from adorama via UPS

arrived on time within 4 days.
never had any drama's with ups so far...(touch wood)
Canon 350D, 580EXII, EF-S 18-55MM F3.5-5.6MKII, 75-300MM F4-5.6MKIII , Tamron SP 90MM F2.8DI, 50MM F1.8 MKIII
BlahBlah

Re: Adorama - UPS experience

Postby ATJ on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:27 pm

UPS must be the most useless bunch on ****s in the world.

I ordered my Ikelite housing for the D300 on Sunday from Adorama because B&H have been out of stock for a few weeks.

The ordering from Adorama went without any dramas at all. It was very smooth and as I paid by PayPal, I didn't have to photocopy credit cards or such. Of course, I got gouged by PayPal on the exchange rate (0.885759 when the rate at the time was closer to 0.905). All seemed good.

The only choice for shipping was UPS Global Express. It was US$96 and seemed OK as it was a 2-3 day service. Seemed like I'd get the housing by the weekend which was going to be great. I even organised a dive on Sunday to test it out.

Adorama process the order on their Monday and it ships on Monday afternoon from NY. I get the shipping notice around 10am on Tuesday (which is just when they register it with UPS). I then play the waiting game, refreshing the tracking page regularly for updates.

Package Departs NJ at 10pm 04 Feb EST (2pm 05 Feb AEDT)
Packages goes via KY and HI
Package Arrives SYD at 2:29PM 06 Feb AEDT

Not bad, 24.5 hours from NJ to Sydney.

I know I will have to pay GST. I wait an hour or so and finally call them to find out how I pay. Not only do I have to pay the GST (which I was expecting), but I also have to pay a "Customs Entry Fee" of $54.20 - which I know is bogus - plus a "security fee" of $9.95 plus GST. The term "Ransom" came to mind. I probably should have argued these illegitimate fees, but I wanted to get my package quickly, so I paid them at around 4pm.

The tracking page gets update at around 5:50pm indicating that the payment has been made and the package is "now in-transit for delivery".

By 4:30pm today the package had not yet arrived so I called UPS. The first person I spoke to said the package had been given to AAE (because UPS don't deliver to my area) and delivery was slotted in for Monday. Monday? Monday?

It takes 24.5 hours to go 6,000km, but over 100 hours to go 60 km? What a joke.

I then rang back customer service to both complain and find out how I can pick up my parcel myself. She checks the tracking number and tells me it will be delivered tomorrow. I asked who the agent was but she said she couldn't tell me. How can one say AAE and the other not know? How can one say Monday and the other say Friday? I tried calling again a couple of times but kept getting the same girl that I got the first time - and just hung up.

I know it is not Adorama's fault but I will probably write to them and complain that UPS is the only option. I think I will just have to stick with B&H and USPS which has never failed me.

My assessment:

Adorama: 8/10
PayPal: 6/10
UPS: 1/10
ATJ

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:31 pm

From B&H via UPS a $200US (approx) item cost me near on $100A most of it being the UPS blackmail charge - if UPS is in anyway involved I refuse to buy.

A HD-DVD player sent from LA via USPS cost me zilch in blackmail charges :up:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Glen on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Andrew, sad to hear of such an experience, good luck on your delivery tomorrow
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby moz on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:58 pm

I got screwed by UPS/Adorama once and have never ordered from them again. Once was more than enough. I'd rather "take my chances" with USPS than pay ten times as much to UPS with their rubbish. Particularly as it's usually cheaper to buy off Poon or even locally than pay UPS to do whatever it is they do.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby ATJ on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Chris,

I hear you. USPS, HKP, SGP, etc. have always resulted in quick delivery and no hidden charges. In fact, I can't think of any problem I have had with post (other than slack delivery contractors at the end).

Glen,

Thanks. I had planned a dive to test it. If I don't get it I might have to miss the meet the following Sunday.

Moz,

I sent Adorama some feedback, not blaming them, but saying I would not buy from them again if UPS is the only option.
ATJ

Postby Big Red on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:06 pm

ordered a couple of lenses from KEH on wednesday night and a couple of lenses from B&H on friday morning, both were sent via UPS worldwide saver.
both orders were delivered on tuesday, one to work and the other to home [B&H will only ship to billing address and i was not home to accept it] so the guy who delivered mine to work picked up the other order next morning and delivered it to me at work... no extra charges.

fantastic service :mrgreen:
Big Red

Postby ATJ on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:32 pm

Shane,

How can that be then?

My invoice states:
Effective 10th May 2006, the formal Declaration Fee (formerly known as the formal entry fee) imposed by the Australian Customs Service will be AUD $54.20

and yet you (and many others) were never charged this fee.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:54 pm

ATJ wrote:Shane,

How can that be then?

My invoice states:
Effective 10th May 2006, the formal Declaration Fee (formerly known as the formal entry fee) imposed by the Australian Customs Service will be AUD $54.20

and yet you (and many others) were never charged this fee.

Call them first thing in the morning. Ask for somebody very senior. Tell them that you are going to be reporting them to the police for fraud, unless they can, very bloody quickly, explain why they are are fraudulently charging you a "warehoused goods declaration fee" when your goods have never been placed into a warehouse.

If you've charged it against a credit card, wait until the goods have been delivered, and then have the charges reversed.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:24 am

Latest update:

Numerous calls to UPS yesterday and this morning but they were still not able to provide me with the AAE tracking number. They claimed they would find out and call me. They still haven't called.

I called AAE on the off chance that they were more competent than UPS and could find my package. The lady I spoke to was very helpful. She not only able to trace my parcel and give me the AAE tracking number, she also confirmed that the parcel was on board with the courier for delivery today. What was odd (and I don't know if it is UPS or AAE's fault), UPS said the parcel was picked up by AAE on Thursday morning, but tracking says it was picked up Wednesday afternoon. Tracking also says it was an overnight service, which if picked up on Wednesday, I should have got it yesterday.

I emailed Adorama customer service complaining about the poor service from UPS and that until they give USPS as a choice, I will not buy from them. I got a reply this morning saying that the person "sent this is email to the manager". I'll find out if they care at all.

I emailed UPS customer service in the US and they basically weren't interested and said I should take it up with UPS Australia. I have since replied explaining that UPS US accepted the parcel, accepted the money and agreed to deliver the parcel so they have contract and are responsible for delivery UPS Australia are merely a subcontractor. I'll see how they reply.

I will be contacting Customs today about the "Customs Entry Fee". Last time DHL hit me with this charge, Customs confirmed they do not charge on a per package basis. If Customs confirm this is still the case, I will be making a complaint with Consumer Affairs and what action I can take for fraud.
ATJ

Postby Glen on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:28 am

Congrats Andrew, that you got your housing and will be able to use it this weekend. It sounds as though you are well within your rights to complain about the entry charge.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:30 am

ATJ wrote:If Customs confirm this is still the case, I will be making a complaint with Consumer Affairs and what action I can take for fraud.

If?

Or when?

:)

I urge you to do this, and pull these charlatans back in line.

What I find very interesting though is that this only ever seems to happen on shipments from dorama coming in through UPS. I see stuff coming in from Poon using UPS on a regular and frequent basis, and this never happens. What is it that is different about shipments from Adorama that causes this to occur, and not to occur with shipments sourced through Poon?

I think UPS need to start explaining their actions.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:13 am

Shunting this thread slightly, I fail to understand how difficult it is for all these companies (UPS, Aus Post) to deliver an item from sender to recipient. In the last two months or so, I have had:

1. An express post envelope containing A1 GP tickets to another forum member within Sydney, sent Thursday, presumably arrived Monday. Granted AP provide a guarantee that it will be delivered within 24 hours or you get a new envelope for free (well, it isn't free, but we know that). In this instance, those $140 tickets (ok, sender or recipient didn't actually pay for the tickets) were worth something less than that if received on Monday. AP's level of interest or care in this, something less than 0. Their systems broke down all over the place.

Now, one point to make is that their guarantee is completely bogus. A guarantee is a promise to do something as agreed (in this instance). This does not mean "we will try our best and if not, hey, here's a new envelope, now bugger off".

2. Delivery from Poon in December - AP had no answers, solution or customer care.

3. Ordered a new mobile telephony device which was supposed to be received within 5 days. Tracked it and saw that it had been returned to check address. There was nothing wrong with the address save that it didn't have our business name on it (which was the fault of the telco involved). Apparently, the poor little delivery person got all confused when he/she saw that the address was a business address (the item required my signature, by the way). I fail to understand how the driver could not think about going to the stated address (level 1, blah blah blah) and asking one of only two receptionists present if I was at this address. Instead, he/she saw that it wasn't residential and drove off. Lazy and stupid bastard. In the end it was delivered yet no signature was obtained.

So, I ask, how bloody hard is it?
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:18 am

Reschsmooth wrote:So, I ask, how bloody hard is it?

Not very would be my answer, but what do I know?

What I can tell you is that I have had packages ordered on a Wednesday, sent FedEx from HK that same day, and in my hands the following day, but I've also seen the same organisation, plus AP, plus TNT, and UPS, fail - and dismally so - to move a package from one part of SYD to another within three or four days.

What a load of absolute bloody crap!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:38 am

Geoff (or Jeff) from Australian Customs Inquiries tells me that Australian Customs Service do charge a fee ("of around $50") to places like UPS for the electronic lodgment of the customs declaration when the goods are more than AU$1,000. If the total value of the goods is under AU$1,000, UPS (or whomever else) do a self assessment and there is no charge.
ATJ

Postby ATJ on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Thankfully, the parcel arrived at 4:30pm today. Seems it takes 1 day to go halfway around the world and 2 days to travel less than 100 km.
ATJ

Return to Trader Opinions