From a beginner.....

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

From a beginner.....

Postby lowster on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:44 pm

Hullo,

I'm a newbie to posting on forums as well as cameras.....
but I can't believe there's actually a forum dedicated to the d70. This is great!

I bought the D70 just before xmas, my first SLR camera...and it has since
been collecting dust..heartbreaking!...I know.
I've only really used it a few times....

That's not to say I'm not interested. I am aching to use it more as
I've lots to learn. For sydneysiders, are their any particularly
popular spots to go shooting around Sydney (or close to Sydney)?

I'm also currently looking at a few good value lenses to add to
my kit lens.

A wide zoom lens: either a Sigma 12-24 or a Tokina 12-24
and a telephoto zoom lens: Tokina 80-200 ATX Pro, Sigma 80-200 or
much cheaper Sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super I & II?

Any opinions?...I couldn't even find some of these lenses to look
at in the camera shops.

I'm feeling my questions probably underutilise the expertise of members of this forum.

Thanks
lowster

Postby phillipb on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:03 pm

Saturday mornings, Mini meet at Birddog's (in Belmore)
No better place to start. All your questions will be answered, guaranteed.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Re: From a beginner.....

Postby gstark on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:14 pm

Lowster,

Welcome.

You've asked several questions. SOme are more difficult to answer, but a couple ... ;)

lowster wrote:That's not to say I'm not interested. I am aching to use it more as I've lots to learn. For sydneysiders, are their any particularly
popular spots to go shooting around Sydney (or close to Sydney)?

Where is there not to shoot. Take a walk around your backyard. Up the street. Go to a park. Look up. Or down.

What about your car? Your partner? Kids? Family? Pets? What sports are you interested in?

Wander through the city. The Rocks. The Opera House. Chinatown. The local raliway station.

There's a couple of ideas to get you started.

I'm also currently looking at a few good value lenses to add to
my kit lens.

My advice here is to first of all start using the camera, and see what sort of subjects you like taking photos of. Only then will you know what sort of lenses you will need, and then we can better advise you on the specifics based upon your needs.

That said, you need to be able to buy the best you can afford; there's glass, and there's glass, and as a general rule, the better glass costs only a little more than than the not so good.

Now, seing that you're in Sydney, you need to consider coming to a minimeet. Check our calendar, and you'll see the next one is this coming Saturday morning. Look at our recent posts and you'll get a handle for what will be happening; I cannot reccommend them too highly.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby spada on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi
I am also a newbie like you, after attend 3 or 4 mini meet, Birddog let me playing with a lot of lenses, now I am able to select what I need , and my way of taking picture is much improve than before, people at the meet are very friendly, try for yourself to see.

Hien
spada

Postby lowster on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:13 am

Wow!...3/3 for mini-meet. Thanks for the replies. Not great at navigating forum as i just joined today but found some info on it. What happens at these meets or is it more an informal gathering of gurus and lenses???.... I must say I mite feel a little intimated amongst the mass of pros...

On the plus side, I actually live very close to Belmore....and I do need my qns answered.
lowster

Postby stubbsy on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:18 am

lowster

I bought my D70 in December like you. I have NEVER owned a film camera and this was my second digital camera (how do you say wet behind the ears?) I attended my first mini meet with great trepidation and found everyone welcoming and helpful. SInce then I've learned heaps thanks to those here. There is lots of gear to look at the meets and try out plus plenty of helpful advice. It's all very informal and relaxed and birddog has tea and coffee ready to kick start you on arrival. No one is condescending. Do it.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:21 am

They're very informal, and a lot of fun.

Just come along and be a part of it. And no, we're not really intimidating; we're just like you, except that we've been beginners for longer.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:22 am

Photography holds new beginnings each and every day and I have been having those days for 47 years :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby wendellt on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:37 am

Welcome

I am new too. i came along to a minimeet, everyone there was so nice and interested in helping me out with my novice questions, it's not obnoxious in any way, think of it as a cruise into a calm harbour, if you want to party you can, relax and meet new friends no prob or try out the local cuisine, it's delectable.

You can even try out equipment without being preasured by a bully salesperson.

i try to make it to each minimeet it's a very welcoming experience
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:52 am

Welcome lowster,
Make to the mini meet, explore yourself the whole world of photography and gear same as PPing, printing, CCD cleaning process, at the mini meet, heap of friends to answer your questions, show you the way what the D70 can do for you and lastly, try most of available and popular lenses in the market from Sigma, Nikkor etc.. without any hassle or obligation to buy, once you came for the first time, then I'm sure you'll return at the next time. :D
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby wile_E on Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:54 am

Welcome lowster,

I'd definitely recommend attending a mini-meet. They're great, and you get to 'play' (read: whet your appetite) with a whole bunch of lenses!

Re wide angle lenses, I've seen good results from the Sigma 12-24 (a few of the members have one), and I can't complain about my Tokina (I'll try post a few examples when I get a chance next). I'm not sure if there are any other members out there that own this lens, but if you'd like to try it out - give me a PM and I'm sure we can arrange to be at the same mini-meet...!! :D
wile_E

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:06 am

wile_E wrote:Welcome lowster,

I'd definitely recommend attending a mini-meet. They're great, and you get to 'play' (read: whet your appetite) with a whole bunch of lenses!

Re wide angle lenses, I've seen good results from the Sigma 12-24 (a few of the members have one), and I can't complain about my Tokina (I'll try post a few examples when I get a chance next). I'm not sure if there are any other members out there that own this lens, but if you'd like to try it out - give me a PM and I'm sure we can arrange to be at the same mini-meet...!! :D

Mr Tokina,
We're waiting to see your new acquisition, but it seems to me you disappeared after you got the Tokina 12-24. No news from you, perhaps you get lost in the cyberspace.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:36 am

His bits fell out of the bucket!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby lowster on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:52 am

Yup, would be great to see some of the lenses i mentioned.

Where exactly is this meet?
lowster

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:58 pm

Most of the details are here.

Send a PM to Birddog for the actual address.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby lowster on Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:59 pm

Thanks for the responses if i haven't said so already. Couldn't make it on sat - not a case of cold feet, but too busy with uni exam preparation. I will definitely look out for the next Sydney meet.

Am seriously considering the Tokina 80-200m given the price. Anyone with experience with the lens?....In the meantime, I will try to shoot some photos with the kit lens.

Cheers,
Danny
lowster

Postby robboh on Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:59 pm

Danny, Im just a bit of a beginner / on-again-off-again photographer over the years. The D70 has certainly got me keen again as you can experiment to your hearts content and not waste money doing it.

As for subjects, Gary gave you a good list of suggestions, but something I often see recommended is to find a subject that makes you tick in general. It could be snails or postage stamps or funny looking moss. Then photograph the hell out of it. Use that to learn how to best present your subject, which will be important to you since the subject interests you anyway.

Obviously some subjects will require specific lenses or lots of practice to get anything good (eg macro or small wild-life).

I dont know difference in price between a Tokina 80-200 and a 2-touch Nikkor 70-200, but if they are even slightly close, Id definitely suggest considering the Nikon lens.

Edit: that should read 2-touch 80-200 Nikkor
Last edited by robboh on Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile; it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
robboh

Postby Onyx on Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:09 pm

I've shot with a Tokina 80-200 ATX Pro lens, was disappointed with its image quality wide open. It was noticeably soft, and aside from its f/2.8 max aperture, appeared to be no better quality than from a consumer grade 70-300 staple. Consider the Nikon 80-200 - it's two decade old optical formula has been refined to near perfection today (the 70-200 that 'replaces' it at twice the price is the bee's knees).
Onyx

Postby lowster on Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:19 pm

Thanks, I'll probably save up for the Nikon then. In the meantime, I've order the cheap Sigma 70-300 APO Marco to play with until i'm worthy of better.

I've also delayed getting the Tokina 12-24, as i'm intrigued about the new Sigma 10-20mm but i don't know if anyone is selling them yet.
lowster

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:56 am

lowster wrote:Thanks, I'll probably save up for the Nikon then. In the meantime, I've order the cheap Sigma 70-300 APO Marco to play with until i'm worthy of better.

I've also delayed getting the Tokina 12-24, as i'm intrigued about the new Sigma 10-20mm but i don't know if anyone is selling them yet.

The Sigma 70-200/2.8 is another lens you should look into it if you have a tight budget.

Not much words of the Tokina 12-24 or the Sigma 10-20 atm.
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions