Instead of D80 thinking of going D200

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Instead of D80 thinking of going D200

Postby devilla101 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:51 pm

Hey guys,

I wrote a post here asking for opinions on D80 and now after looking at Ken Rockwell site on comparitive features the D200 is sounding like the camera I should get. I like the fact it has dedicated ISO, WB and Quality buttons plus the build quality.

I basically shoot landscapes but also been shooting a lot of people scene and have often missed it cause I had to fiddle with the Canon 10D settings.

Do you think this is a lot of camera for someone still starting out in photography? And with March coming soon should I wait for any new product announcement from Nikon? BTW for people asking why I'm going from Canon to Nikon is because I'm borrowing the 10D from my bro while I learn the ropes and I like the 18-200mm VR lens as a good all rounder lens
devilla101

Postby Onyx on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:43 am

I just noticed a D200 price drop from one of Australia's cheapest sources for non-grey goods, so I'm guessing a refresher model D200s that's been rumoured would be due for release pretty soon, taking the price back up to $2500-2600 as it were upon first release.

While one could argue the merits of D80 versus D200 forever; it ultimately comes down to whether the differences, perceived or real, is worth the difference in price of the two cameras to you - which I admit is fairly sizeable. The difference would probably pay for that 18-200 you desire...

People here and elsewhere don't exactly have a high opinion of Rockwell, so take his reviews with that in mind. He is highly opinionated and his style of shooting may not match yours.

For me, it wasn't so much the "three kings" of ISO, WB and Image quality that's the D200's best feature. The multitude of customisation options were.

I don't think you'll outgrow either camera any time soon. Either should serve you well.
Onyx

Postby vikin70 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:39 pm

bottomline - go for it if u can afford it.
vikin70

Postby MATT on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:02 pm

vikin70 wrote:bottomline - go for it if u can afford it.

I'll second that..

Cheers
MATT
MATT

Postby bwhinnen on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:19 pm

If you wait until PMA when they are saying the D200s may be released and it isn't then you may end up waiting longer.

Rumours are they are going to introduce an 's' model at PMA but not what we are expecting.

I've just ordered a D200 and wouldn't have it any other way, if the D200s is released in March then so be it. I would rather have a camera I can enjoy and grow with now, than be forever waiting for the 'next best thing'.

I say go the D200 over the D80 if you think you will be continuing to grow with photography. For me the (light) weather sealing, 5fps, better AF and customizations are what sold me over the D80, plus the fact I can keep all of my CF cards!
bwhinnen

Postby rooboy on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:47 pm

Does your brother own any decent glass to go with his 10D? Sticking with Canon may be a better option if you can borrow lenses occasionally when needed. The 30D is a fantastic camera and a bit cheaper than a D200, and when the rebates are on, a 5D isn't that much more expensive either.

Canon don't make an 18-200 VR/IS, but they do make some great lenses that us Nikon users don't have access to. The 24-105/4 IS gets rave reviews, I wish I could buy an equivalent for my D70 :).

All that said, I'd love a D200. It just comes down to what you shoot, and if you know anyone who uses a particular brand. If you're starting from scratch , the Pentax K10D looks to have the edge over Canon and Nikon in terms of price/performance ratio.
So join in the chorus, and sing it one and all!
rooboy

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:04 pm

rooboy wrote:the Pentax K10D looks to have the edge over Canon and Nikon in terms of price/performance ratio.

But a rather restricted range of really good glass.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Ivanerrol on Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:31 pm

gstark wrote:
rooboy wrote:the Pentax K10D looks to have the edge over Canon and Nikon in terms of price/performance ratio.

But a rather restricted range of really good glass.

Restricted is right. F Primes (when you can find them) are double Nikon prices on the great Auction site, while most F mount modern Zooms are very so so.

However if you are prepared to put up with Manual focus - then there are plenty of excellent choices. A mounts do every thing that the AF mounts do except focus, K mounts step down meter, have focus confirmation and predictive focus. Even M42 mounts with an adaptor can be used.
Ivanerrol

Postby devilla101 on Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:39 am

[quote="rooboy"]Does your brother own any decent glass to go with his 10D? Sticking with Canon may be a better option if you can borrow lenses occasionally when needed. The 30D is a fantastic camera and a bit cheaper than a D200, and when the rebates are on, a 5D isn't that much more expensive either.

The kit I got from my bro are:
Canon Speedlite 550EX
Lenses (All canon)
28-90mm USM (I use the most for walk around lense)
50mm 1.8 (for taking close face shots)
75-300mm 5.6 USM (Never used it)

Yeah I was looking also into the 30D with the 17-85mm kit lens which does work out cheaper. Geez I dunno.
devilla101

Postby Yi-P on Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:28 am

The only thing I think it is worth using and keeping will be the 550EX flash and maybe the 50/1.8, the rest will not be that great for any further uses.

Either way, both Nikon and Canon make good lenses, depending on which one you are particularly after. The multiple USM/IS option on the Canon lenses and endless variation on the zoom types in affordable price, or the couple of fine lenses in Nikon's legendary arsenal.

You can use well constructed lenses few decades back ago from Nikon, which you may get them at good prices from 2nd hand.
Canon has many new tech toys and are at good affordable prices as well.

You wont go wrong either way you choose, just go into a camera shop, pick up the camera, and few lenses on demo shelves, try them out to your like... buy the first one you fall in love with, and there will be no more looking back. :wink:
Yi-P

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions