CMOS vs. CCD

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

CMOS vs. CCD

Postby sihood on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:10 pm

Hi, does anyone know whether a CMOS sensor is better than a CCD?
sihood

Re: CMOS vs. CCD

Postby Yi-P on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:32 pm

sihood wrote:Hi, does anyone know whether a CMOS sensor is better than a CCD?

Hi, and welcome...

Can you please define "better" ??

Is orange better than strawberry? They both are fruits and provide vitamin C... :roll:
Yi-P

Postby sihood on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:18 pm

Haha! Nice reply ... :lol:

Is there any noticeable difference in colour, sharpness? I having been using a Nikon D80 and currently looking at a D300 and while I realise this is a better camera, was just interested in why Nikon shifted to the CMOS sensor and what improvement that makes? I have read all the tech specs on the D300 so was just a casual interest.
sihood

Postby Yi-P on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:46 pm

sihood wrote:Haha! Nice reply ... :lol:

Is there any noticeable difference in colour, sharpness? I having been using a Nikon D80 and currently looking at a D300 and while I realise this is a better camera, was just interested in why Nikon shifted to the CMOS sensor and what improvement that makes? I have read all the tech specs on the D300 so was just a casual interest.

There wont be noticeable difference in sharpness, there would be in colours, but colours can be done as always in post processing.

Sharpness is mostly defined from your lens, the better quality glass you put in front, the sharper you will see of your results.

What sort of lens(es) you have at the moment?

Mostly you will notice in difference of high-ISO images, where the D300 rocks the D80 by miles away.

I would get better lenses then upgrade bodies. Because low quality glasses will show its downside on a high end body like D300 immediately.
Yi-P

Postby Matt. K on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:38 pm

Check out Wikipedia for a comprehensive description of the differences.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions