Picture sizing and Exif data

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Picture sizing and Exif data

Postby Myrtle on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm

Firsty have to say wooohoooo - have finally worked out how to get my pics up to the 800 pixel size when posting - der!!! Downloaded Windows live uploader for flickr and bugger me what do you know - right there in front of my nose is a way to change my pic sizes.

On a more serious note (if I can ever be too serious) on several occassions members have commented that they cannot see the Exif data on my pics that I upload - I know the info is there on flickr - am I uploading to the site wrong - any suggestions.

Thanks

Linda
Myrtle

Re: Picture sizing and Exif data

Postby BullcreekBob on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:15 pm

G'day

With Flickr, the exif data is still there in the full sized original, however with the other image sizes that Flickr creates for viewing (square, thumbnail, small, medium and large) the exif data is stripped out of the images.
BullcreekBob

Postby Myrtle on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info BullcreekBob

Linda
Myrtle

Postby Myrtle on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:47 pm

Okay so I am sitting here answering my own questions but thought it worth sharing for other newbies like myself.

After a bit of a search on flickr, have found out that without upgrading to a pro account I cannot access or download the original pic which has the Exif data embedded in it.

Linda
Myrtle

Postby seeto.centric on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:13 am

i've created a set of scripts for resizing that retains EXIF - it uses Imageready droplets.. but afaik, they wont work on anyone else's computer unless they have the same folder names (for output) in the same directory as i have them (desktop). It may not work if your windows drive is not C:/ either.

took me a while to get it all going right so i might aswell make my effort worth it.
there are droplets for watermarking too. but again, the watermark source must be in same directories as mine & filename must be identical.

increments of: 250, 450, 800, 1024 pixels wide (resize by percentage rather than dimensions or whatever the normal way is, so your portrait shots are still the same dimensions as your landscape shots).

-j
seeto.centric

Postby moz on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:35 am

BullcreekBob wrote:exif data is still there in the full sized original, however with the other image sizes that Flickr creates for viewing the exif data is stripped out of the images.

Many systems do that because the EXIF data can be quite large - 20kB or more. That makes things tricky when you're trying to get a 10kB thumbnail or even a 50kB web image. But on the original 3MB+ image 20kB is not a problem.

The flip side: if you're resizing images manually and they look like crap afterwards, try saving them without EXIF :)
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions