Best way to get accredited

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Best way to get accredited

Postby phoenix on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:29 pm

I am trying to get some media passes to shoot mainly AFL and cricket around Australia. I have taken lots at reasonable levels of football, including football at levels just below the AFL. I have just finished nearly 3 years shooting mine sites around Australia as a full time photographer. In that time I've also done lots of local sport and concerts. I have also completed and graduated with a BA in Multimedia. I have had shots published in local newspapers, websites of football clubs and newsletters etc. Basically i want to take the next step and start photographing top level sports and major concerts. When i tried to get information about getting a media pass to an AFL game in canberra on the weekend, i was basically asked who if i was accredited. I am in the process of joining the AIPP as well.

What more can i do to make sure when i want to get a media pass and accreditation i get it?

Thanks
phoenix

Re: Best way to get accredited

Postby mickeyjuice on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:47 pm

Getting AFL or Cricket Australia accreds is REALLY difficult. I'm a journo, working for the AFL site, so I have no probs there, but I can't get a CA one, as the radio station I work for is considered too small, despite the fact that we cover cricket, including the Warriors, extensively. (I've got a WACA pass, as they appreciate our coverage. And I went to uni with the media manager, but I've had WACA passes for a decade - they know they need any coverage they can get.)

Next level down isn't too hard, but it generally comes back to "who are you working for", as you've discovered.
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby phoenix on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Is saying I'm part of the AIPP going to help? I'm going to get it anyway, but it'd be nice to now it matters with stuff like this. Is there any scope at all to freelance for events like the AFL around Australia? That's basically what i'd like to do, but it's been awfully difficult to even get started. Anymore info from you would be fantastic. I'm not necessarily in it for the money thats for sure. I have other photography gigs that pay the bills, but this is my passion and something i desperately want to get into.

Basically AFL is my passion. I would love to be able to focus on aussie rules, but I'm a huge sports fanatic so obviously i want to do others as well.
phoenix

Postby mickeyjuice on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:24 pm

To be honest, it's REALLY tough, and you really have to be working for someone who the sporting organisation recognises. The AFL and CA are both big enough that they can dismiss people out of hand, and if you're not shooting for someone big, forget it. I've never seen a freelancer getting a pass, I'm afraid.

And if you want to shoot for someone like Gettys, that's tough too. One of my mates is the shooter for them here in Perth, and he basically does it all, and his offsider is there as well. I was talking to the offsider when we were at the West Coast Eagles camp in Narrogin a couple of weeks ago, and his minimum required kit was a 400/2.8 (about $11K) and a 1DMKII. Big bikkies just for the chance to get a shot at it.

I'd be hawking your shots that you've taken at lower levels to all the photo agencies and see if you can get a bite. And that's really tough, because they've usually got someone, and a backup, and a backup backup.

For an agency, the ability to shoot pretty much everything is a requirement, so get as much different stuff together as you can.

I can't really add anymore, but if you do have anything, I'll be back from Albany (covering a West Coast game) at the tail end of the weekend.

EDIT: Just read this again, and it seems really negative. However, all of the snappers you see at games didn't have the gig at some stage. *I* didn't have a writing (and now a sometimes shooting) job either, but perseverance helps. As do networks. Hang in there!
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby phoenix on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:09 am

Thanks again. Your reply wasn't negative, just very honest. It's exactly what i wanted to hear really. I knew it was going to be tough, but it's what i love to do and definitely not something I'm going to give up trying to do.

Another question for you or anyone else around, is it fine for me to take photos from the stands of games around Australia? I have done this in the past and have never had an issue, and i figure this is at least a good way to show the sorts of shots i can get even from the stands. There are two games on today in Canberra i'll be going to. The AFL, with geelong and st kilda, and the brumbies have a home game. So hopefully i'll have lots and lots of shots to wade through over the next few days.

Are there agencies anyone would recommend to have a crack at showing my shots?

Thanks again!
phoenix

Postby michael_ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:00 am

just contact the agencies directly and ask if you can send samples, i know aapimage have a submission section, i have already found its more who you know than anything in this industry, talent and skill gets you so far then the rest is up to your mouth and getting yourself known to the right people
michael_

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions