Taking action shots of my kids.

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Taking action shots of my kids.

Postby llubnrut on Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:10 pm

Canon 350D, Aperture priority, using 75-300 lense.
When taking action shots of my kids at the park, I am having a lot of focus problems. What focus mode should I have the camera set to? I have tried both AI and AI servo. Is it perhaps the quality/speed of the lense that came with the camera?

Even after ensuring the red light appears on the focus point and the camera beeps I sometimes find their faces are out of focus.

I am looking at upgrading the lense sometime in the future, will this help?

Look forward to some tips and suggestions.

Cheers
Craig
llubnrut

Re: Taking action shots of my kids.

Postby Marvin on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:05 pm

OK, I am no expert but it would help if we could see some examples of your problem. I find on my camera that if the kids are moving it's better to use continuous servo so that I hold the shutter button half way down and follow the action, then press when I am ready. If your kids move after the beep then they will be out of focus as (on my camera anyway) the beep means it has focused. It may be that your shutter speed is too slow however. If you have a slow lens, then bump up the iso. I think that you need to take faster than 1/500th to freeze the action (but, again I could be wrong and will probably be corrected).
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions