A place to finance camera gear

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

A place to finance camera gear

Postby phoenix on Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Hi everyone! I haven't been around much lately as i've been really busy sourcing some photography jobs. I'm in a fantastic but frustrating situation. I've managed to have been asked to become the photographer for an ad agency. Its the same one that wants me to do the club pics, but they are after a full time photographer very soon. They require a very broad range of photography including portrait, event, sport, commercial, model etc etc. Basically there is a heap of gear i would need if i wanted to take all the work. I have a basic kit that i could get away with a lot of the stuff, but i need more very soon.

The good part is, that the pay is fantastic. Far more than any of my previous job, and it's ongoing work too.

I was hoping people here might know of a place i could finance or do something similar, on camera gear. I need more powerful lights, a new camera body, new lenses etc, so there is far too much for me to afford without help. Does anyone know the best way to go about this?

Thanks a lot guys!
phoenix

Re: A place to finance camera gear

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:07 am

cheapest interest rates are those secured against things like your house. if you dont have that, then a business. if you dont have that, then personal loans from banks. lastly, and usually the fastest (to gain approval, and also to accrue interest), is credit cards. big banks offer normal rates around 20%, the general electric variety can be as high as 30%.

take care to understand the difference from importing, and buying kit locally, discuss with your tax accountant.
Oz_Beachside

Postby olrac on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:45 am

Another option might be to hire gear while you prioritize what you need and save some cash for it.
olrac

Postby Geoff on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:39 pm

The great thing with camera gear/equipment (and the prices we can get through the forum) is that if things don't work out (not that you should be thinking that way) then the resale of high quality gear is fantastic, either through ebay (or even here).

I think a personal bank loan would be the best idea.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby shutterbug on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Leasing might be an option....but talk to your accountant
shutterbug

Postby christiand on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi Phoenix,

what gear do you currently have, what gear do you need on top of that ?
What additional gear do you THINK you need ?
If you for a valid reason don't want to go public with that, please send me a PM.

Regards,
CD
christiand

Postby phoenix on Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi Guys,

CD,
I currently have a D200, 17-55mm, 70-200mm, 50mm 1.4, and 105mm macro lenses. A golden eagle light kit, some backgrounds and stands, a SB-600, a 2x TC, and some other bits and pieces.

For the work i've been asked to do i feel i need or would be best placed to do the best work, an 85mm prime, a higher powered light kit (around 1000w 3 light kit i think) either a D300 or D3, preferably the D3 for some of the print work, low light work, etc but i could settle with a D300, and be able to do everything well enough, at this point, ( i definitely need a second body though) and some more backdrops. The studio space i have in mind needs some painting, and a few other things that will add up, and i'll also be needing a higher powered computer because i'm currently only using a Macbook Pro, and some of the work will be fairly PP intensive.

That's about the extent of it right now. I believe i can take the work with the gear i have right now, and maybe just pick up the rest of the gear as I'm going, but that means saying no some of the work right now. I'd love to be able to do it all from day 1, but if it's not possible i'll just have to make do. I'm just trying to get all the possible options at the moment.

A loan of some description seems to be the way to go i think. The hard part with that is that i am only emplyed part time right now so that i had more time to get photo work. I guess it's a bit of a catch 22, but hopefully i can make it work.

If you guys want any info about the work i'll be doing let me know, but it's probably not really necessary for now.

Thanks for the help guys! Any more info would be fantastic!
phoenix

Postby jdear on Thu May 01, 2008 9:11 am

Canon Finance Australia (CFA) - link here have finance available - let them know what sort of $$ you want to spend and they will point you towards an authorised canon dealer (L+P etc) and then they will pick up the bill for your order (and you will pay it off) - includes any equipment - 1D bodies etc.

although you shoot nikon :P

Jonathan
jdear

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions